Sponsored By:

Walk Away Auto Locking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet & 2017 GLE350
Walk Away Auto Locking?

I've found conflicting information on this (after searching) - our car (CPO 2017 GLE350) was advertised as having Keyless Go - pretty sure it does.

Do the doors automatically lock when you walk away with the key?
If there is a certain condition for this to work - what is it? It seems to do this, sometimes - but not sure it's all the time. Sometimes we find it has locked - and other times it seems it hasn't.

Is it related to the locking it does by placing your hand on the handle upon exiting the car? (On a side note I've noticed sometimes I have to hold my hand on the handle for a very very long time before it locks.)

Ideally walk away locking should just work without any action other that leaving with the key. Perhaps there is a setting in the system on preference (for those who don't want it to auto-lock)
Or maybe it doesn't do it at all?
:-/

Old 11-19-2020, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
No, MB cars don't auto-lock when walking away with Keyless-Go. You have to lock by touching the square on the door handle. Don't grab the entire door handle, because that may unlock it again or confuse it as to what you are trying to do, which is probably why it takes a while for something to happen. I usually touch the door handle near the square with the back of my hand. That seems to work most reliably. It has also happened that I leaned against the door with the key in my pocket and coincidently made contact with the door handle and the car locks. Happens frequently when I put my bike on the roof. The newer model years can send an alert via the Mercedes Me connect app if the car is left unlocked after parking it, and then you can lock it from the app. The alert doesn't always pop up reliably, but one can always check the lock status of the car from the app. There's one situation where the car locks itself. That's if you unlock it, but don't open one of the front doors within 30 seconds. It will automatically lock again. That's basically to prevent accidently unlocking the car with the key fob in your pocket.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
Lexi (11-19-2020), Varreth (05-25-2021)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:05 PM

Thanks - we probably inadvertently locked by brushing up against the handle upon exiting - I tested and it seems all one has to do is kind of almost wave over the little square and it locks. That clears up the confusion - hopefully!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe, 2017 GLE 350 4MATIC P3
Originally Posted by Lexi
Thanks - we probably inadvertently locked by brushing up against the handle upon exiting - I tested and it seems all one has to do is kind of almost wave over the little square and it locks. That clears up the confusion - hopefully!
If you have the audible locking turned on it should become obvious to you when it's locked with the swipe of a finger. I always listen for the mirrors folding...
Old 11-21-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bo$$
If you have the audible locking turned on it should become obvious to you when it's locked with the swipe of a finger. I always listen for the mirrors folding...
Good tips - I had to lookup both of these - I didn't realize there were so many more features hidden in the odometer menu..... it seems a very strange design to have a nice huge display and then not use it for accessing everything! Almost as if the screen was bolted on to and older system to try to keep up with the competition and add CarPlay - but they were too rushed to redesign the entire interface so it only got some of the car functions.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Lexi
Good tips - I had to lookup both of these - I didn't realize there were so many more features hidden in the odometer menu..... it seems a very strange design to have a nice huge display and then not use it for accessing everything! Almost as if the screen was bolted on to and older system to try to keep up with the competition and add CarPlay - but they were too rushed to redesign the entire interface so it only got some of the car functions.
​​​​​​
No unfortunately the iPad glued to the dash look was intentional.. The only downside to the design imo. And MB's have loads of hidden settings and feature sets.

For example, did you know about:

HOLD function for your brakes (When at a complete stop, press your brakes in further. The car will go into HOLD mode, letting you take your foot off the pedals)
"Tunnel" mode (-Yes, I know the true tunnel mode hasn't been around since 2008-. When outside your car, hold your unlock button and point your fob at that little square you have for your keyless go. All windows and sunroof will roll down. If you hold the Lock button, the opposite will occur)
BOOST for Audio (Feel like your MB is lacking in bass? Make sure to turn on your radio's BOOST function to gain the full audio range of your HK or stock system)
Passenger Mirror fold down (While in reverse, select your right mirror like your are going to move it. You'll notice the mirror will move down to reveal the curb to not kiss your wheels)
RACE START -AMG Only- (Basically launch control)

.... and so many others! I hope you enjoy your new ride and please feel free to reach out again with any question about your new MB! We're all some what helpful on here lol
Old 09-22-2021, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wont lock in walking away.

This will be my last Mercedes. Even cheap cars lock their doors when you walk away without the need to touch them.
The following 2 users liked this post by CMILIAN:
sanderson1582 (10-26-2021), Warehouser (09-20-2023)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB does those things due to higher security.
I had 2017 Ford, who had remote start and with good battery it work from 1/4 mile, so I could enter shopping mall and by the time I get to the truck, the cabin was nicely cooled.
MB starting with MY 2015 offers Mercedes ME in USA, but that is $200 annual subscription.
Our friends bought GLK couple months ago and she was really thrilled when I told her she can lock her car with butt.
I show her how it works on our E class, but she is short person, when GLK handles are higher, so she had to use her elbow instead.
When you take a look at handle, it is divided in halves by insulation. When you touch outer half, it will lock, when inner half will unlock.
The only auto locking MB does is when you accidently unlock the car by pushing the remote and don't open the door within a minute, or 2.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,501 Likes on 2,128 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Not quite related to the issue OP is facing but MB also have a feature (turn it on in the infotainment first) to auto lock the car (in a minute) when you unlock it by accident (but that is if you never opened any doors after it was unlocked) incase the unlock button was accidentally pressed in your pocket and you didn't notice.
Edit: nevermind this was already mentioned

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-23-2021 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Oops someone else already mentioned this please ignore
Old 10-26-2021, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS 450
Originally Posted by CMILIAN
This will be my last Mercedes. Even cheap cars lock their doors when you walk away without the need to touch them.
I agree both my Cadillac and my GMC both will auto lock when you walk away both my wife and I miss this feature on our 2022 GLS

Old 10-28-2021, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by sanderson1582
I agree both my Cadillac and my GMC both will auto lock when you walk away both my wife and I miss this feature on our 2022 GLS
Can that be disabled? I wouldn't want it on my car. The Mercedes Me app's "Unlocked" notification is a better solution, IMO.