Sponsored By:

GLE43 SUV - Replacement brake discs and pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 43 AMG
GLE43 SUV - Replacement brake discs and pads

I have a 2018 GLE43 SUV. I've always thought the the brakes on the GLE43 SUV were poor. I found they fade very quickly when very warm and also I thought the braking wasn't aggressive enough.

The car is in for a service with Mercedes today and they mentioned in the near future I would need to replace all the pads and they would probably advise changing the discs too.

Has anyone changed out the Mercedes discs and pads for 3rd party discs and pads - e.g. Brembo, etc...

I would love to upgrade to a big brake kit but can't justify the cost of that at the moment.

Any replacement disc/pad suggestions/experiences to share?
Old 03-11-2021, 12:47 PM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
Originally Posted by agwhite
I have a 2018 GLE43 SUV. I've always thought the the brakes on the GLE43 SUV were poor. I found they fade very quickly when very warm and also I thought the braking wasn't aggressive enough.

The car is in for a service with Mercedes today and they mentioned in the near future I would need to replace all the pads and they would probably advise changing the discs too.

Has anyone changed out the Mercedes discs and pads for 3rd party discs and pads - e.g. Brembo, etc...

I would love to upgrade to a big brake kit but can't justify the cost of that at the moment.

Any replacement disc/pad suggestions/experiences to share?
better (different) braking is generally accomplished two ways... more aggressive pads or bigger calipers...

do you track your 43? depending on miles, you should first get brake fluid changed... air, moisture in fluid can affect fade...
Old 03-11-2021, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 43 AMG
No - don't track the GLE43 but I would 'drive with passion' on some Irish country roads! Car has 45,000 miles on it.

According to Mercedes today I only have a month or 2 left on the current Mercedes discs and pads hence thinking of swapping out for more aggressive pads and alternative discs. EBC, Brembo, etc.. - just wondering if anyone else had done that and if this improved the standard Mercedes braking experience.

My wife has a GLA45 with 6 pot calipers and the brakes are amazing.... just wish I could have the same experience on the GLE43 but I wasn't planning on changing the calipers at this point.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Yes GLE43 is lacking significantly in braking as compared to ML63 and GLE63 (the "real AMGs). I do have '19 GLE43 and braking being its most obvious shortcoming (I've addressed power and acceleration "issues" immediately to my satisfaction especially considering amount spent).

The only way to significantly increase braking performance is to upgrade to 63's hardware (very pricey).

Changing just the brake pads to something "more sticky" is the possibility I did not look into since I do not think it will solve the issue. Sticky summer tire, like PS4, will help just as much as sticky pads. Also sticky aftermarket pads may also likely create significant brake dust (just like 63's OEM), which OEM 43 pads do not. I think the larger problem is the calipers and not just the pads. 63's calipers and other hardware is expensive.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Yes GLE43 is lacking significantly in braking as compared to ML63 and GLE63 (the "real AMGs). I do have '19 GLE43 and braking being its most obvious shortcoming (I've addressed power and acceleration "issues" immediately to my satisfaction especially considering amount spent).

The only way to significantly increase braking performance is to upgrade to 63's hardware (very pricey).

Changing just the brake pads to something "more sticky" is the possibility I did not look into since I do not think it will solve the issue. Sticky summer tire, like PS4, will help just as much as sticky pads. Also sticky aftermarket pads may also likely create significant brake dust (just like 63's OEM), which OEM 43 pads do not. I think the larger problem is the calipers and not just the pads. 63's calipers and other hardware is expensive.
I went to Rockauto.com for PowerStop brakes with ceramic pads. Just their towing grade slotted and drilled brakes in the rear I feel outperform factory and they have remained rust free and looking great unlike my "groovy" front rotors. I've got the PowerStop front brakes already just letting them wear out when drilled and slotted brakes with go up front. Z36 carbon fiber ceramic pads will go up front.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
The advantage of ceramic pads is absence of brake dust. GLE43 OEM MB pads ALREADY produce almost no dust, at least on my '19 GLE43. I also have '15 ML63. The difference in braking between the two is night and day. I found GLE350/400 brakes from loaners I had unsatisfactory even compared to GLE43. OP (as I am) is clearly looking for much more stopping power than simply changing pad's material can provide. To accomplish this, nothing short of proper (bigger, much bigger) calipers with supporting hardware will do.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
IMO the GLE 43 has no worse brakes than many other SUVs... its an AMG wanna be... nice accessories, upgraded suspension, emblems e.t.c but where it really counts, starting, going and stopping, it's lacking...

Big brakes and big stopping power requires bigger pockets.