keep or sell ML550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 ML550
keep or sell ML550?

Howdy all,
Just looking for an opinion. I have a 2015 ML550 that I initially leased which I ended up buying out afterwards since I loved it so much (mainly because the newer models no longer had the v8....with the exception of the AMG63 of course). I purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind which has come in handy as various things were fixed under warranty (turbo coolant leak, transfer case leak, timing cover leak). My extended warranty is coming to an end this summer and I’m debating what I should do with the car now. I mainly drive it in the winter season only as I drive my Tacoma during the summer for its utility (mtn biking, camping, hauling around boat and kayak etc).....plus the ML is simply better in the winter.
How had the reliability and longevity of the ML550 been? Is it a money pit as they age? Just looking for some opinions to help decide if I should keep or sell it....thanks!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2019 s-class coupe 2018 GLE 350 SUV2017 S-class cabriolet
If you like the suv buy another extended warranty for 3 more years to cover your doubts.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SC22
Howdy all,
Just looking for an opinion. I have a 2015 ML550 that I initially leased which I ended up buying out afterwards since I loved it so much (mainly because the newer models no longer had the v8....with the exception of the AMG63 of course). I purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind which has come in handy as various things were fixed under warranty (turbo coolant leak, transfer case leak, timing cover leak). My extended warranty is coming to an end this summer and I’m debating what I should do with the car now. I mainly drive it in the winter season only as I drive my Tacoma during the summer for its utility (mtn biking, camping, hauling around boat and kayak etc).....plus the ML is simply better in the winter.
How had the reliability and longevity of the ML550 been? Is it a money pit as they age? Just looking for some opinions to help decide if I should keep or sell it....thanks!
It sounds like you have enjoyed the ML550.

How many miles are on it?

Do you need two vehicles, or are two vehicles mandatory for you?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Hi, SC22, what is your current mileage?

At the moment I have a 2010 ML550, which is my third ML since they began back in 1999.
All easily exceeded 100K miles, early design and quality bugs got worked out over the first few years.
My 2010 ML550 has been a pleasure to own indeed. As you already know, V8 smoothness and power just get delivered with little fuss and makes everyday driving a pleasure.
The telematics are OK with instant iPhone connectivity using the special cable or AUX for my Android providing podcasts and I like the SD card for music. The hard drive is fine when I forget to replace the card. I did have a strange experience where the System clock got disabled (visible but unchangeable, GPS was still possible but with no time to destination), but it came back a few months later, just a mystery.
I got this just before the 4 year warranty expired and added the ELW for an extra 2 years, but didn't use it much, and 8 years later am up to 150K miles.
It still drives well and I am at the same point as you - keep and repair another year or two, or switch.
I put a ceramic pad/rotor combo on 8 years ago and they are lasting well, I keep up with the service schedule at my dealer for fluids and advanced warning of any problems but take any repairs to a local shop.
E.g. mirror internal wiring broke because I used the auto fold feature and the wires fatigued.
HID bulbs replaced by myself because I use Auto for daytime lights and they got dim and yellow..
I run 20" wheels and like the Continental DWS x295 tires which last OK and have had good experience with traction..
Funny though, I put up to 4 bikes on the heavy hitch rack and up to 3 whitewater kayaks and the occasional bed or sofa on the roof, and think of the ML as my utility activity vehicle. It even tackled a recent Jeep logging trail with grace, still holds a nice shine and I occasionally get compliments on the styling (I did add aftermarket AMG style wheels and the ML63 AMG hood with power domes after a fender bender.
This has been one of my favorite vehicles.
Looking at the ML400 leaves me underwhelmed, and I don't like the effort the ML350 engine makes, but a GLE43 is looking good, and I like the idea of automatic emergency braking.

Keep us posted with what you choose to do.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Extended warranty = insurance = gamble.
I bought extended warranty on my 1998 ML320 and that was money down the drain.
Now I prefer to do my homework what to buy and what to do for vehicle to last.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:58 AM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Extended warranty = insurance = gamble.
I bought extended warranty on my 1998 ML320 and that was money down the drain.
Now I prefer to do my homework what to buy and what to do for vehicle to last.
i had one of the first ML 320s delivered in US... after 9 months of repeated problems, MBUSA lemoned it out... My 2017 GLE is my first MB SUV since then and I think its solid platform