GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019

Door Unlocks Open While Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:44 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Door Unlocks Open While Driving

There are a few threads that I have read for the W166 and X166 having an issue with the door unlocking by itself with vehicles that have the soft close option. This happened to me yesterday as I was turning onto an expressway. The driver door unlocked 1 latch but the safety latch remained locked. Similar to if you did not fully shut the door (and the soft close door feature would completely shut the door). I did get a door open alert on the dash when this occurred. At first I thought maybe I just did not close the door before driving off from a restaurant. However, when looking up the issue I see that it has happened to other W/X 166 owners. First time that I can remember this happening and I've driven the car for 10,000 miles. I know the previous owner and asked if this ever occurred to them - it has not.

When reading the door unlocking threads I've also read that there is potential for a door to be opened when the car is locked. I tested this in my garage today and noticed that the rear passenger door does intermittently open when the car is locked and the key fob is out of range. It does not occur any another of the other doors.

From the threads I've read (which are 3 years old from the latest post) I see that there is a software update that can remedy the door unlatching while driving. For the door intermittently opening, I am reading that the door actuator needs to be replaced.

For those of you that may have experienced this - has the software update worked? And does anyone have the part number for the rear passenger actuator with soft close door option?

Thanks in advance! Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:55 AM

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
Originally Posted by PeteyV
There are a few threads that I have read for the W166 and X166 having an issue with the door unlocking by itself with vehicles that have the soft close option. This happened to me yesterday as I was turning onto an expressway. The driver door unlocked 1 latch but the safety latch remained locked. Similar to if you did not fully shut the door (and the soft close door feature would completely shut the door). I did get a door open alert on the dash when this occurred. At first I thought maybe I just did not close the door before driving off from a restaurant. However, when looking up the issue I see that it has happened to other W/X 166 owners. First time that I can remember this happening and I've driven the car for 10,000 miles. I know the previous owner and asked if this ever occurred to them - it has not.

When reading the door unlocking threads I've also read that there is potential for a door to be opened when the car is locked. I tested this in my garage today and noticed that the rear passenger door does intermittently open when the car is locked and the key fob is out of range. It does not occur any another of the other doors.

From the threads I've read (which are 3 years old from the latest post) I see that there is a software update that can remedy the door unlatching while driving. For the door intermittently opening, I am reading that the door actuator needs to be replaced.

For those of you that may have experienced this - has the software update worked? And does anyone have the part number for the rear passenger actuator with soft close door option?

Thanks in advance! Any input is appreciated.
going to watch this thread. I too have soft close doors (don't know why someone thought this system was needed but oh well, it's on my GLE)

I've never experienced this but will now watch out for it.

I think this issue, if door unlatches, is a huge safety issue and should be subject to recall
Old 07-03-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by whitewagon
going to watch this thread. I too have soft close doors (don't know why someone thought this system was needed but oh well, it's on my GLE)

I've never experienced this but will now watch out for it.

I think this issue, if door unlatches, is a huge safety issue and should be subject to recall
I agree. Even though the door does not fully open and safety latch is still active, closing the door requires you to pull over and then complete a “door open door close” cycle to fully secure latch.

Reading more older threads, I’ve noticed that for others this occurred when hitting uneven road or potholes. This in turn activated a crash safety features that automatically unlocked the door for first responders to be able to open the door if needed. After reading that, this did happen to me when driving over a higher than normal curb and turning sharply to enter an expressway - I am wondering if my car just activated that safety features because I was driving at a slower speed (<20MPH) but making a turn over a curb. If that’s the case I’m sure that this can be updated via software.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,220 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by PeteyV
.......Reading more older threads, I’ve noticed that for others this occurred when hitting uneven road or potholes. This in turn activated a crash safety features that automatically unlocked the door for first responders to be able to open the door if needed. After reading that, this did happen to me when driving over a higher than normal curb and turning sharply to enter an expressway - I am wondering if my car just activated that safety features because I was driving at a slower speed (<20MPH) but making a turn over a curb. If that’s the case I’m sure that this can be updated via software.
I wonder if your crash sensor is bad.
I don't know where it is, but in 80s BMWs you could stomp on the floor behind the Driver's seat and unlock all the doors.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
I wonder if your crash sensor is bad.
I don't know where it is, but in 80s BMWs you could stomp on the floor behind the Driver's seat and unlock all the doors.
It’s a possibility and I’ve been monitoring it. I’ve tried doing the same combination at the same place that this happened before and it hasn’t happened again.

I am slightly more concerned about my door being able to open even after the car is turned off and locked. Slightly disappointed that there isn’t a TSB on this and I would have to pay out of pocket for something I consider a safety item. I work in vehicle restraints and airbag warranty and I can only imagine how a customer would react if a dealership told them they had to pay for the buckle they accidentally crushed with their tool box as they were sliding it onto the rear seat of their work truck. Let alone a faulty door latching mechanism.

Last edited by PeteyV; 07-04-2021 at 10:55 PM.