Sponsored By:

Ham Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 GLE43, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Ham Radio

Anyone want to share their Amateur radio installation ideas? I'm going through an install right now and I'm looking for some idea's for a VHF/UHF only transceiver with a single antenna.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550. 2018 GLE43 AMG SUV
Re Ham Radio.

I installed Alinco rig in center console, 12 v from plug on back under vents which will handle amps from rig, thin mag mount cable thru rear door which does not affect rubber moulding excess under rear passenger rug. Easy install no holes no drilling like the old days. There are other ways to do this using the mobile mount with velco. Easy to see easier to steal.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 GLE43, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
I installed my Yaesu FTM-400 yesterday. I mounted the duel band antenna on the passenger side roof rail using a Diamond motorized mount, antenna is a Comet CA-2x4SRNMO about 40 inches long. Power cable for the mount and the coax feed line were routed inside the roof rail then down about halfway then into the cabin.. Then across the floor under a Weathertech back mat then under the one piece floor mat to the main body of the Yeasu mounted where the ashtray used to be.. The control head is free floating on the console between the dash and cub holders. Only issue is getting a GPS signal to the GPS antenna on the control head. I thought with all the roof glass area acceptable GPS signal might be available. It's close but not enough for a stable APRS track. So what I'm going to do is install a GPS repeater with a roof mounted antenna to get the signal to the antenna on the head unit, I used this approach on my last vehicle a Honda Pilot. The repeater is on the way from China. All in all it went pretty straight forward.