GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SRS Light - Resistance Too High

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprinter 2500 4x4, GL350 BT (mechanically totaled), C63 AMG (sold)
SRS Light - Resistance Too High

Hi All,

I have an SRS light that I can clear and comes back. It's not because of an accident or airbag - no issues with that. The code is:

B1240 - R12/1 (Driver ETR ignition squib), Resistance TOO HIGH

This is the squib for driver seat belt tensioner. Since I can clear the code and it comes right back, I assume I truly have a resistance issue. My wiring is good and in tact and the connection at the plastic wire harness is tight.

If there is remains to be a resistance issue, can I put a resistor into the connection to clear the code? Would that prevent the seat belt from locking up in the event of an accident? Could my tensioner unit have somehow gone bad and truly throwing the resistance code? Any ideas on what else could be the issue and how to resolve it? I've been driving with the red "SRS" warning on the dash for almost a year and want to finally sort this out but am not going to spend $175 for a shop/dealer to plug in the their scanner and tell me what I already know.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Hacking safety items? NOOOO
What you can do on DIY end is check the wires for any damage and was the plug .If that won't help, then you need new tensioner.
What scanner do you use? For clearing safety codes you need MB-oriented scanner.
This really is a bit over DIY recommended jobs, so consider taking it to dealer.

Last edited by kajtek1; 12-19-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:55 AM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
There are companies that rebuild tensioner... last thing you want to do is drive with your SRS system not operational... as I recall, if you have a problem with SRS and have red warnings, it could mean your whole airbag system is off line. If the SRS light stays on after the self-test, then you should take the vehicle to a qualified repair shop to be properly diagnosed and inspected. It is a good idea to check your vehicle’s potential manufacturer recalls because some airbag system repairs may be covered under recalls or extended warranties. Don’t delay—you may not be properly protected in the case of an accident or collision.

It is not commonly knows that the SRS system contains a “black box” very much like a commercial airplane. It not only records the data from an accident such as the speed, “G” forces, how many seat belts were latched etc., but it also how long the SRS system was disabled due to a fault condition. If the insurance company determines that the SRS system was in a fault mode for what they consider to be a long time, they may not be willing to cover any injuries, especially if they determine that a working airbag system would have prevented the injuries.
If the SRS light is blinking or stays on, take it seriously. There is a fault condition and the vehicle’s safety systems are compromised, putting you and your passengers at risk.