GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Upgrading GLE350 Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 05:07 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by paracutin
Were they able to get your install completed?
They were! Still figuring this thing out and I'm having some issues with the wireless Android Auto. They're helping though. My phone calls are also kind of choppy, will keep y'all posted as troubleshooting continues.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLE350
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass
They were! Still figuring this thing out and I'm having some issues with the wireless Android Auto. They're helping though. My phone calls are also kind of choppy, will keep y'all posted as troubleshooting continues.
Any updates?
Old 10-02-2022, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Hello, Question for anyone who Upgraded to the 12.3 Android Screen, Did you loose any OEM Functions?

does the USB in the Armrest still works For Apply Carplay & USB Stick Music?
Would the New Air Vent Rotating Wheel Light Up Like the Original vent?
lose any Steering Wheel Controls?
lose the Navigation Arrows in the Cluster?
Lose Radio Station Still Appear in the Cluster?
Lose Sirus Radio?
Lose In Car WIFI / Mbrace?

thanks
Old 10-02-2022, 09:11 AM

2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
No, you retain everything. The new screen operates independent of the old and simply mirrors the functionality of the factory setup.

Originally Posted by WaveyKat
Hello, Question for anyone who Upgraded to the 12.3 Android Screen, Did you loose any OEM Functions?
No
does the USB in the Armrest still works For Apply Carplay & USB Stick Music?
yes
Would the New Air Vent Rotating Wheel Light Up Like the Original vent?
no

lose any Steering Wheel Controls?
no

lose the Navigation Arrows in the Cluster?
no

Lose Radio Station Still Appear in the Cluster?
no

Lose Sirus Radio?
no
Lose In Car WIFI / Mbrace?
no

thanks
Old 10-02-2022, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
well that great news thanks,
Also for those who have upgrade is the 360 Camera View & Main Mercedes NTG5 Menu is it Stretched?

No, you retain everything. The new screen operates independent of the old and simply mirrors the functionality of the factory setup.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:44 AM

well that great news thanks,
Also for those who have upgrade is the 360 Camera View & Main Mercedes NTG5 Menu is it Stretched?
You can have the original NTG menu stretched, or normal sized by adding a little info box on the left. Pic attached. When in NTG mode, it behaves just like factory. Every single aspect of the factory head unit is the same, including 360 camera which I have. It's mirroring the factory system.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:18 AM

2018 GLE350
None of the stuff in NTG mode is touch screen though right?
What about radio and Sirius - do you use the NTG version or are they available in Android?
Old 10-03-2022, 11:16 AM

None of the stuff in NTG mode is touch screen though right?
What about radio and Sirius - do you use the NTG version or are they available in Android?
Radio/Sirius work off of NTG mode, they're not available in Android as far as I know. Then again, knowing how open source Android is, you could probably make it work. The head unit is basically an unlocked tablet so sky is the limit in terms of functionality.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:46 PM

2018 GLE350
Radio/Sirius work off of NTG mode, they're not available in Android as far as I know. Then again, knowing how open source Android is, you could probably make it work. The head unit is basically an unlocked tablet so sky is the limit in terms of functionality.
Listening to music is probably what I use the system for the most. Terrestrial and Satellite radio specifically. Having to use NTG for that really reduces the benefit of the new system for me (old interface - no touch screen).
I think that bit of info just saved me a grand. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:02 PM

Listening to music is probably what I use the system for the most. Terrestrial and Satellite radio specifically. Having to use NTG for that really reduces the benefit of the new system for me (old interface - no touch screen).
I think that bit of info just saved me a grand. Thank you.
Totally, we all have different objectives. Glad to help.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:05 PM

Alright peeps, here is my write up and recommendation for the Canada 4X4 Android Head Unit. A couple pics, then a pretty detailed review/write up:

Summary: install Android head unit on 2018 GLE43

Goal: get wireless Android Auto (my car came with the plug and play Android Auto but I wanted my phone mounted on the dash for a variety of reasons), ditch the hideous OEM center console screen

Cost: approximately $1150 shipped to me, with the higher quality processor, and digital clock (the clock is sweet). Install was about $450. So about $1600 total.

Overall Rating: all things considered, I give this setup an 8/10. I love everything about this vehicle but coming from a 2018 S560, couldn’t stand looking at the center console. We needed an SUV so as soon as I found out you could swap out the screen, I went for it.

Functionality Summary: I’ll break this part into a few sections.

Visibility: the screen is bigger, for the first few days of having it installed I noticed that it blocked my view a little. For the record, I’m 5’ 9” and keep the seat pretty much smack dab in the center. After a week or so, I forgot it was a thing.

Clock: the clock is beautiful, it’s digital, clean, bright, and high resolution

Wireless Android Auto: this one was a big tricky at first. You must be completely UNPAIRED from the factory MB Bluetooth or it doesn’t work. Not disconnected from the factory Bluetooth, UNPAIRED. You must then pair your Bluetooth to the android unit. Then, in the Bluetooth settings on your phone, turn audio OFF, and turn calls ON. I know it seems strange to turn audio off but you do. After that, you’re good to go. You can pull up Spotify or whatever and listen to music. The center knob mostly works but only left to right, you can’t go up and down on the android auto screens. However, touch screen works so I just use that when I need to change songs. You can also change songs on your phone and since I tend to keep my phone mounted right under the head unit, it’s not a big deal (you’ll see where I put my phone mount in the photos). Lastly, you can click down on the left side of the steering wheel to progress to the next song. It changes the screen on your dash which is annoying but it works.

Music Player: this part is weird too… if you want to use the music player and not the android auto player, then you have to go into your Bluetooth options and turn audio on. This is a pain so I only use the Android auto.

Audio EQ Tool: the EQ has an insane amount of customization, I played around with it a little to make the music sound better, it’s nice to have

Video in Motion: I synced my phone’s Mobile Hot Spot to the Android head unit so it had wifi, after doing that you can launch YouTube and watch videos while driving. This is of course not safe but is nice to have for passengers.

NTG Mode: NTG just refers to the original MB operating system. It’s either stretched out across the whole screen and looks terrible, or you can play with some options to add a compass, or a little MB SUV logo. Then the original NTG screen floats on the right and looks normal. I opted for the logo, there are others you can pick from. I’m mostly not in NTG mode since I always have Waze up on the wireless Android Auto. However, my wife doesn’t use Bluetooth and only listens to the radio so she is only ever in NTG mode. She’s also not tech savvy and doesn’t mind having to hit the little white star if I left the car in android mode because she also loves the aesthetics of the new setup.

Switching Between NTG Mode and the Android Head Unit: if you push the solid white star button down by the main navigation wheel, you go back to NTG mode. If you want to go to Android head unit mode, just tap the screen, it’s really quick.

Issues: sometimes the whole system freezes and becomes unresponsive in NTG mode, just tap the screen to go to Android mode then hit the solid white start to go back to NTG mode, that fixes it every time. It’s also only happened I think twice. I also had the Bluetooth connection screen pop up a few times when I’m trying to go in reverse, which pauses the backup camera!!!! Bad timing and quite rare but that’s dangerous.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
thank you looks great think i will do the upgrade loving the Large Screen, you confirmed that the Air Vent Wheels lights up like factory? Also whats the Cable for Running Along the Right side your Screen?

also when in Android mode and put the vehicle in reverse does the screen switch for backup cam?

You can have the original NTG menu stretched, or normal sized by adding a little info box on the left. Pic attached. When in NTG mode, it behaves just like factory. Every single aspect of the factory head unit is the same, including 360 camera which I have. It's mirroring the factory system.

Last edited by WaveyKat; 10-03-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:27 AM

thank you looks great think i will do the upgrade loving the Large Screen, you confirmed that the Air Vent Wheels lights up like factory? Also whats the Cable for Running Along the Right side your Screen?

also when in Android mode and put the vehicle in reverse does the screen switch for backup cam?
See below!
-My vent wheels in the center do NOT illuminate, but the ones on the side do. Not sure if that's the manufacturer design or if my guy wired it wrong. Never noticed until you called this out and I was just driving the car at night, yesterday.
-Yes, no matter what screen you are on, if you throw the car in reverse, then the camera takes over the whole screen. This was a REALLY big deal for me, for obvious reasons, so I'm happy to report that's how it works.
-The cable running along the side of my dash is for the back seat baby camera! I usually throw it in the glove box when I'm not using it but when I took these pictures I had just taken the baby for a cruise.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Great Thank you For al the Info.
maybe one can switch the OEM Vent Wheels with The Aftermarket One. :-)

See below!
-My vent wheels in the center do NOT illuminate, but the ones on the side do. Not sure if that's the manufacturer design or if my guy wired it wrong. Never noticed until you called this out and I was just driving the car at night, yesterday.
-Yes, no matter what screen you are on, if you throw the car in reverse, then the camera takes over the whole screen. This was a REALLY big deal for me, for obvious reasons, so I'm happy to report that's how it works.
-The cable running along the side of my dash is for the back seat baby camera! I usually throw it in the glove box when I'm not using it but when I took these pictures I had just taken the baby for a cruise.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
hey tkelley.EClass question for you? carplay/andriod auto in Navigation mode does the sound comes thru the Stock Speakers or thru the little black speaker that came with the screen?
Old 02-21-2023, 01:54 PM

hey tkelley.EClass question for you? carplay/andriod auto in Navigation mode does the sound comes thru the Stock Speakers or thru the little black speaker that came with the screen?
Stock speakers
Old 02-23-2023, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Stock speakers
thank you
Old 03-01-2023, 03:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
In my case it is coming from black round speaker which came with the unit. I need to configure to route it through the stock speaker
Old 03-06-2023, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350D
Alright peeps, here is my write up and recommendation for the Canada 4X4 Android Head Unit. A couple pics, then a pretty detailed review/write up:

Summary: install Android head unit on 2018 GLE43

Goal: get wireless Android Auto (my car came with the plug and play Android Auto but I wanted my phone mounted on the dash for a variety of reasons), ditch the hideous OEM center console screen

Cost: approximately $1150 shipped to me, with the higher quality processor, and digital clock (the clock is sweet). Install was about $450. So about $1600 total.

Overall Rating: all things considered, I give this setup an 8/10. I love everything about this vehicle but coming from a 2018 S560, couldn’t stand looking at the center console. We needed an SUV so as soon as I found out you could swap out the screen, I went for it.

Functionality Summary: I’ll break this part into a few sections.

Visibility: the screen is bigger, for the first few days of having it installed I noticed that it blocked my view a little. For the record, I’m 5’ 9” and keep the seat pretty much smack dab in the center. After a week or so, I forgot it was a thing.

Clock: the clock is beautiful, it’s digital, clean, bright, and high resolution

Wireless Android Auto: this one was a big tricky at first. You must be completely UNPAIRED from the factory MB Bluetooth or it doesn’t work. Not disconnected from the factory Bluetooth, UNPAIRED. You must then pair your Bluetooth to the android unit. Then, in the Bluetooth settings on your phone, turn audio OFF, and turn calls ON. I know it seems strange to turn audio off but you do. After that, you’re good to go. You can pull up Spotify or whatever and listen to music. The center knob mostly works but only left to right, you can’t go up and down on the android auto screens. However, touch screen works so I just use that when I need to change songs. You can also change songs on your phone and since I tend to keep my phone mounted right under the head unit, it’s not a big deal (you’ll see where I put my phone mount in the photos). Lastly, you can click down on the left side of the steering wheel to progress to the next song. It changes the screen on your dash which is annoying but it works.

Music Player: this part is weird too… if you want to use the music player and not the android auto player, then you have to go into your Bluetooth options and turn audio on. This is a pain so I only use the Android auto.

Audio EQ Tool: the EQ has an insane amount of customization, I played around with it a little to make the music sound better, it’s nice to have

Video in Motion: I synced my phone’s Mobile Hot Spot to the Android head unit so it had wifi, after doing that you can launch YouTube and watch videos while driving. This is of course not safe but is nice to have for passengers.

NTG Mode: NTG just refers to the original MB operating system. It’s either stretched out across the whole screen and looks terrible, or you can play with some options to add a compass, or a little MB SUV logo. Then the original NTG screen floats on the right and looks normal. I opted for the logo, there are others you can pick from. I’m mostly not in NTG mode since I always have Waze up on the wireless Android Auto. However, my wife doesn’t use Bluetooth and only listens to the radio so she is only ever in NTG mode. She’s also not tech savvy and doesn’t mind having to hit the little white star if I left the car in android mode because she also loves the aesthetics of the new setup.

Switching Between NTG Mode and the Android Head Unit: if you push the solid white star button down by the main navigation wheel, you go back to NTG mode. If you want to go to Android head unit mode, just tap the screen, it’s really quick.

Issues: sometimes the whole system freezes and becomes unresponsive in NTG mode, just tap the screen to go to Android mode then hit the solid white start to go back to NTG mode, that fixes it every time. It’s also only happened I think twice. I also had the Bluetooth connection screen pop up a few times when I’m trying to go in reverse, which pauses the backup camera!!!! Bad timing and quite rare but that’s dangerous.
Great write up. Thanks for the detail. I had previously converted my 2012 E250 to a similar unit, and mostly loved it, but found the microphone for the phone was almost unusable due to really bad lag. How have you found the phone set up on this? I've got a 2016 GLE350D and hate the fact it's not a touch screen. The car is lovely except for that, and I would really love to change to a touch screen again.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Chook
Great write up. Thanks for the detail. I had previously converted my 2012 E250 to a similar unit, and mostly loved it, but found the microphone for the phone was almost unusable due to really bad lag. How have you found the phone set up on this? I've got a 2016 GLE350D and hate the fact it's not a touch screen. The car is lovely except for that, and I would really love to change to a touch screen again.
Ummmmmm the phone setup is just okay... it's not as consistent as say a modern pair of headphones or even the stock MB radio so I barely use it. For me, the primary objective was aesthetics anyway so mission complete.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Originally Posted by sub786sub
In my case it is coming from black round speaker which came with the unit. I need to configure to route it through the stock speaker
i installed the unit in 2018 GLS63, the unit came with that Little round speaker but i didnt install the speaker since it was optional, the carplay comes thru the Stock Speaker which is good.
now using google maps without carplay the sound also come thru the stock speaker sometimes, but it seems like if you had carplay previously open it mutes the google maps, so you have to closed the Carplay app manually.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:22 PM

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLE350
Hi all - I bought this setup and am in day 2 of the installation. It is not simple! Some questions for those who either have done this themselves or even had it done for them: This is for my 2017 GLE350.
1) Do you have the usb to aux connector plugged in to the bottom usb slot and have the 3.5 mm plug connected to it?
2) Do you have the little black speaker connected, and if so, where do you have it located?
3) Do you have the remote microphone plugged in and where is it located? How did you run the wire?
4) Do you have the 4G antenna plugged in and where is it? How did you run the wire?
5) Do you have the wi-fi black box plugged in and where is it? Again how is the wire run?

With all these external devices, it's looking like it's not going to be as neat as I would prefer. I did get the sound working today with a call to the guy at the 4x4 canada shop.

Thanks!
Tom
Old 02-10-2024, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I just did this to both W204 and W166. Unit came fro 4x4shop.ca. All I can say is GET IT! to those who are wondering about what you must have/ do:

Reference infotainment for W204 and X166 from 4x4shop.ca, both 12.3" android 13 screens.

- no need for the external mic. If you set it up properly the calls will be diverted to the command unit and will use the MB system.
- you need to buy the 2 USB extensions. The one that comes with the unit is doable but since you will want to to run the USB connector to the center armrest with the 3.5mm jack you want some wiggle room for this.
- the 4g and wifi antenna is just taped behind the cavity of the unit. I don't see any reception problem with this.
- get the 2 pack screen protector form 4x4shop. you will not be able to source the screen protector elsewhere. When you get it save one for stencil so that later on you can cut your own.

If your GLE have OEM andorid auto, make sure you disconnect this from your phone or you will not be able to connect to the tablet android auto. Then on the bluetooth setting on your phone, make sure to turn off CALL for the bluetooth connection of the Tablet. This way all your calls will be diverted to the MB system not on the tablet. So you should see 2 bluetooth connections in your phone, MB and the tablet. You then have to go to the settings of the tablet and make sure the bluetooth setting is set to OEM. This way when someone calls you the call display will show up on the android screen and if you press the call button on the android unit the system will go back to the MB interface phone display. Do not use the android unit to make calls or you will not be happy with the call quality.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 02-10-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
i installed the unit in 2018 GLS63, the unit came with that Little round speaker but i didnt install the speaker since it was optional, the carplay comes thru the Stock Speaker which is good.
now using google maps without carplay the sound also come thru the stock speaker sometimes, but it seems like if you had carplay previously open it mutes the google maps, so you have to closed the Carplay app manually.
I am trying to find a way to divert all the info on the cluster to the right side of the android screen that shows a non-working speed gauge (needs to be programmed - can be done). If I can at least get the start trip, economy indicator, AMG cluster info that shows oil temp, coolant temp, etc.. and digital speed in that spot then I can leave the distronic view like what you have as the default view in the driver cluster.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:08 PM

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLE350
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I just did this to both W204 and W166. Unit came fro 4x4shop.ca. All I can say is GET IT! to those who are wondering about what you must have/ do:

Reference infotainment for W204 and X166 from 4x4shop.ca, both 12.3" android 13 screens.

- no need for the external mic. If you set it up properly the calls will be diverted to the command unit and will use the MB system.
- you need to buy the 2 USB extensions. The one that comes with the unit is doable but since you will want to to run the USB connector to the center armrest with the 3.5mm jack you want some wiggle room for this.
- the 4g and wifi antenna is just taped behind the cavity of the unit. I don't see any reception problem with this.
- get the 2 pack screen protector form 4x4shop. you will not be able to source the screen protector elsewhere. When you get it save one for stencil so that later on you can cut your own.

If your GLE have OEM andorid auto, make sure you disconnect this from your phone or you will not be able to connect to the tablet android auto. Then on the bluetooth setting on your phone, make sure to turn off CALL for the bluetooth connection of the Tablet. This way all your calls will be diverted to the MB system not on the tablet. So you should see 2 bluetooth connections in your phone, MB and the tablet. You then have to go to the settings of the tablet and make sure the bluetooth setting is set to OEM. This way when someone calls you the call display will show up on the android screen and if you press the call button on the android unit the system will go back to the MB interface phone display. Do not use the android unit to make calls or you will not be happy with the call quality.

Thanks for tall this info! I completed the installation today but have not had a chance to really try it out. From the call to the 4x4 shop yesterday, he told me to install the speaker, mic,4g and wi-fi antennas. So here's what i did:
1) ran the 3.5 mm plug under the console to the aux-usb box
2) connected their little speaker and left it behind the radio etc
3) connected their mic and have it at the inside top of the windshield at the right side
4) connected the 4g antenna and have that on the dash as the right side.
5) connected the wi-fi antenna and have that at the base of the right side rear window.

I figured that 2) above couldn't hurt and that 3-5 above also couldn't hurt. 1) above I need to have sound back from their system. I'm sure I have a lot to learn about all the options!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading GLE350 Infotainment System