Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2016 GLE350
EPB actuator

2016 GLE350
Bought it in 2018 as a lease turn in.
Great car so far. Last week went to go somewhere and car wouldn't move...dash said Parking Brake Malfunction see owners manual.
Turns out my left Parking Brake actuator failed in the on position. Lucky I was at home.
I removed it and ordered another which was bad. I sent it back and am now waiting for another.
I removed the right side actuator (which is working fine) and plugged it in the left side and it works, so voltage is getting to the actuator.
I returned it to the right side. I backed out the screw drum with a 7mm hexhead and the left wheel turns free now.
I am guessing the lights on the dash will clear when all is back normal. I hope anyway.
Has this happened to anybody else? Did the message clear on it's own or did the dealer have to clear it?
I checked the left actuator and no continuity between any of the 3 pins, also I applied 12VDC to any combination of the pins and it is dead.
The only strange thing is it has a couple of yellow paint dots on it. The kind like a wrecking yard marks it's parts with.
But I would think a lease by Mercedes wouldn't use parts from a wrecking yard if this has happened to this car before I got it.
It is a TRW actuator and has Made In Germany stamped on it.
The first one I bought online had numbers but no country of origin on it. (That means China, I know)
Is there any place online (I can't find one) that I can get a shop manual download for this vehicle?
Thanks everybody.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:42 AM

2016 GLE350
Crickets??!!
Well it's good to know that I am the only one this has ever happened to...lol
Old 03-15-2022, 10:33 AM

2016 GLE350
The new actuator came yesterday, I installed it. Works great. Dash alert cleared itself.
Any ideas on a shop manual download?
Old 03-17-2024, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gle350
Parking brake actuator failure

I have a 2018 GLE350 and had this happen yesterday afternoon. I got the same lights and message and the car was not driveable because the parking brake would not release. I could not figure out any way to release the parking brake manually and had to be towed home. I plan to pick up the part (166-906-54-01) from the dealership tomorrow and its about $300. I see aftermarket replacements ranging from $40 to about $200. Does anyone know if the OE manufacturer makes a generic version of this part and who that is?