Sponsored By:

Annoying Coffee Cup Symbol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 05:59 AM

Received 113 Likes on 96 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Annoying Coffee Cup Symbol

Total of 2,000 plus miles road trip. That coffee cup was beeping like crazy. I figured a way how to go into menu and disable it. Every time I went to fill up gas or rest area the "Attention Assist - Take a Break!" keep resetting itself to enable. Is this something I can disable it for good through the Mercedes STAR/Xentry tool or this a coding thing? Or at least disable the annoying beep noise. Other then that the GLE did great and my wife was thankful that we took the GLE and not the Q3.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,651 Likes on 2,255 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
not sure about the W166 if you can set the sensitivity as well to mitigate the annoyance? I wonder why yours re-enables itself though, unless all W166 does that.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
There are two sensitivity levels you should be able to choose from, standard and sensitive. However, unless your system is malfunctioning, you are clearly fatigue or have lapses in concentration. You may wanna read up on the ATTENTION ASSIST function in the owner's manual. It only suggests a break if it detects indicators of fatigue or increasing lapses in concentration on the part of the driver. It actually does this based on your steering inputs. I read a paper on it a while back, and it's quite fascinating. Basically, one can derive from how the driver steers whether they have lapses in concentration or appear fatigue. For example drifting in your lane and then making sudden steering corrections is a sign of lack of concentration. You are apparently driving in a manner that makes the system think you have lapses in concentration. There are also various situations where the system suspends itself. For example if you adopt a sporty driving style, change lanes and vary your speed frequently as well as other situations it can detect. Basically if you stay active behind the wheel it detects that you are paying attention. In addition it's also suspended if the Steering Assist is active together with DISTRONIC.

I've done up to 12 hour drives in my C63 and never got the "Take a Break" warning. I've gotten it with dumb systems in prior cars, which give you that warning after driving for 2 hours or so regardless of how one actually drives. But I'm a very attentive driver and generally drive in a sporty manner. On long trips I do use the driving assistance features, though, so then ATTENTION ASSIST is suspended anyway as the car assists with the steering and periodically requests that I put my hands on the steering wheel or touch one of the touch buttons to confirm that I'm still paying attention. I also know when to pull over and rest. If it warned me, I'd take it serious, because I have fallen asleep behind the wheel once on a trip in Island as I was jet lagged and not used to the short days. I was fully aware that I needed to pull over and rest, but couldn't find anywhere to pull over in the pitch dark before my body gave in and we ended up down an embankment. Fortunately both my wife and I emerged unscathed.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-29-2022 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amusa (09-01-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 07:30 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 GLE 300d 4-Matic
My 2016 (does not have any of the automated driving features) has no sensitivity level setting that I've ever seen and it does reset to "on" when the vehicle is turned off. I routinely turn mine off before any drive longer than an hour. My experience is that windy conditions, poor roads and even heavy traffic can cause it to come on fairly frequently.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by John Ha
My 2016 (does not have any of the automated driving features) has no sensitivity level setting that I've ever seen and it does reset to "on" when the vehicle is turned off. I routinely turn mine off before any drive longer than an hour. My experience is that windy conditions, poor roads and even heavy traffic can cause it to come on fairly frequently.
Naturally, the W166 is a few years old by now and to be honest I didn't realize at first that I was responding in the W166 forum. However, I checked the 2016 owner's manual to see if there are obvious differences compared to newer models, but it's still fundamentally the same. I'm sure they probably refined the algorithms over the years, but it's based on the same conditions and situations and around the idea of recognizing signs that the driver's attention is fading rather than just giving a blanket warning. Even the sensitivity setting should be there as described below. It's possible that it reverts back to the default setting as most safety systems do. I have never had a need to change the default, so I don't actually know.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:18 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 GLE 300d 4-Matic
Superswiss - You're right! My post #4 statement "My 2016 (does not have any of the automated driving features) has no sensitivity level setting ..." is wrong! I never saw that option because I never got past the "off" setting. It was so annoying in the default "standard" mode that I can't imagine what it would be like in "sensitive" mode.

Last edited by John Ha; 09-01-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:32 AM

Received 113 Likes on 96 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
I saw the standard/sensitivity in the menu but never went into that setting. I just clicked the off setting in the menu.

It was going off every hour or 2 hours into my drive (15-16 hour drive one way).

Last edited by amusa; 09-01-2022 at 05:35 AM.