GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)

Vibration in my GLE450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tesla Model S Plaid
Vibration in my GLE450

Hi all,

This issue has been giving me a HUGE headache...

My GLE450 needed new tires so the dealer installed the same that I had before (22 inches Continentals). To make it short they already changed, balanced and rebalanced 2 sets of tires because I keep feeling a very slight vibration between 60 and 75 mph. They already said that's the best they can do. They've been very cooperative, I got tired of losing time and energy with this issue so I decided to just live with it. But here I am, not happy and still trying to find solutions.

Any idea, recommendation or similar experience with 22 wheels?.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tatoweb
Hi all,

This issue has been giving me a HUGE headache...

My GLE450 needed new tires so the dealer installed the same that I had before (22 inches Continentals). To make it short they already changed, balanced and rebalanced 2 sets of tires because I keep feeling a very slight vibration between 60 and 75 mph. They already said that's the best they can do. They've been very cooperative, I got tired of losing time and energy with this issue so I decided to just live with it. But here I am, not happy and still trying to find solutions.
Any idea, recommendation or similar experience with 22 wheels?.
This definitely sounds like it's a balance issue. Not all wheel balancing machines (or technicians using them) are created equal. From everything I've read, the Road Force® Elite wheel balancer is supposed to be the gold standard. Find out which machine they used. Also, when they balanced them, did the same technician do it both times? If so, this should NEVER be the case. They should have a different person doing it to rule out operator error.

Don't EVER settle for something that is robbing you of your enjoyment in driving a very expensive vehicle.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
as above. however, did you say they actually put new sets of tires on? if so, there could be mfg defects within the tires (i had to replace a set of four expensive tires because of flat spots from sitting. caused a harmonic imbalance at a very specific and narrow speed range. and it's something that can't be balanced out) . or, if the tires are perfect, new tires might be allowing some other issue to come to the surface (maybe even just a cowling not fastened back in place somewhere). also alignment. i check once a year and whenever new rubber is installed.

did the tech feel the vibration with you in the car? you shouldn't let it go as it is a symptom trying to tell you something. i have a 350 4matic and feel no vibrations in my driving range (tops out at 75).

good luck with this, ron
Old 02-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Tesla Model S Plaid
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
This definitely sounds like it's a balance issue. Not all wheel balancing machines (or technicians using them) are created equal. From everything I've read, the Road Force® Elite wheel balancer is supposed to be the gold standard. Find out which machine they used. Also, when they balanced them, did the same technician do it both times? If so, this should NEVER be the case. They should have a different person doing it to rule out operator error.

Don't EVER settle for something that is robbing you of your enjoyment in driving a very expensive vehicle.
They used Road Force. I think it was the same technician, but I drove during an hour with the chief technician and he was involved in the situation. I don't really know what this means, but they said the Road Force result is under 20 for each wheel which is very good. What I think I'll do is take the car to another dealer.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Tesla Model S Plaid
Originally Posted by rcsjr
as above. however, did you say they actually put new sets of tires on? if so, there could be mfg defects within the tires (i had to replace a set of four expensive tires because of flat spots from sitting. caused a harmonic imbalance at a very specific and narrow speed range. and it's something that can't be balanced out) . or, if the tires are perfect, new tires might be allowing some other issue to come to the surface (maybe even just a cowling not fastened back in place somewhere). also alignment. i check once a year and whenever new rubber is installed.

did the tech feel the vibration with you in the car? you shouldn't let it go as it is a symptom trying to tell you something. i have a 350 4matic and feel no vibrations in my driving range (tops out at 75).

good luck with this, ron
Yes, we already went thru 2 set of new tires. The car was also aligned. Yes, I drove for an hour with the chief technician in my car. I think I'll take it to a different dealer.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM

MB GLC
I had the problem on my 2017 GLC300 with 19 inch, but it happened only on certain interstate 85 stretches where the bridge joints are at an angle. Dealer could not replicate locally, but he believed me and did the software update. It fixed the problem. It was not violent, but just a momentary vibration that should not be there.