GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why no Mono block brakes on the GLE 43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Why no Mono block brakes on the GLE 43?

Just traded in the C43 for a 2018 fully loaded GLE 43 AMG. First let me say that the C43 Coupe was a blast to drive that car was on rails... fantastic brakes which leads me to this post. When we picked up the new GLE this weekend I never really gave it any mind since what i saw on the MD site lead em to believe that the brakes on the GLE 43 were the same as the one I was use to on the old car. I was wrong... first thing I noticed was a longer braking distance and a lack of initial bite. Got home to a look at the front wheels and I saw that the brakes on the GLE are just basic run of the mill, no mono blocks six pot or even four pot, just real standard calipers. Yea it has the drilled rotors but that is not anything to write home about. The GLE 63 has the mono blocks, what was MB's thinking when designing the brake package? funny thing on the when site:

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/vehi...upe/gle43.html

they lead you to believe that mono blocks are part of the "standard" brake package... with the nice picture of the caliper and rotor. Anyone have any thoughts?

This SUV would benefit from better calipers and I wonder if the ones off the C43 couple be mounted... dont think so since front rotor size are 10 mm larger at 361 MM

outside of the brakes we love the new GLE it runs hard and for an SUV handles very well, better than expected. Inside it is super quite compared to the C43 and comfy.