GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GLE haters...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
GLE haters...

Just saw this video:

https://youtu.be/Zj0XQsuZj0XQsuAdgw

The best comment was this:

Sounds like people who hate this car don't hate the car, they hate the people that own it.

I had an aquaintance come up to me JUST today, and tell me that he really our car, and that it looks very sharp.

Yeah, people really hate this car... SMH
Old 10-27-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by cadman_ks
Just saw this video:

https://youtu.be/Zj0XQsuZj0XQsuAdgw

The best comment was this:

Sounds like people who hate this car don't hate the car, they hate the people that own it.

I had an acquaintance come up to me JUST today, and tell me that he really our car, and that it looks very sharp.

Yeah, people really hate this car... SMH
The link you provided no longer works, but I've probably seen the video. I've seen lots of videos on the same subject. I've heard people say, "It's ugly", "It's a polarizing design", "It makes no sense", "Why would anyone buy a car with less storage space than its SUV counterpart?", etc., etc., etc. Auto critics are notoriously conservative. They never like anything that's the least bit different. Being different is a major part of the appeal. The bottom line is this. I prefer an SUV because I'm tall and don't enjoy feeling like I'm getting into a go-cart whenever I drive. I don't have 3 kids and 2 dogs. Nor do I haul lumber on a regular basis. I DON'T NEED THE EXTRA STORAGE SPACE! Traditional SUV's are practical, yet clunky vehicles. At this stage of my life, I no longer need practical. I'm an empty nester. I wanted something sleek, sexy and fun to drive. I didn't want a shoe box on wheels. The Coupe checks all of those boxes.

Haters? I've had all kinds of complete strangers come up to me and tell me how much they love this car. Their diversity spans the full gamut......from teenagers to seniors, various ethnicities, male, female, you name it. I even had a sales clerk at a drive-thru window rave about the car, and he couldn't even see the entire vehicle. One guy in the Home Depot parking lot loved the car so much, he stopped and talked to me for a half hour! And I'm not even counting all of the people I catch (while stopped at a red light), admiring the car on the sly. Their eyes are rolled in my direction, but their heads are facing straight ahead. No other vehicle I've ever driven has made me grin from ear to ear at the sound of those loud, raunchy exhaust pops. So it seems like the Coupe has a lot more fans than haters. Personally, I prefer to be a leader, not a follower. I've always enjoyed being an iconoclast. This car is more rare than some cars costing twice as much. The people who hate it probably wear Hush Puppies and have never deviated from the missionary position.

Whew! Now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I need to experience some thrills and excitement. I think I'll go drive The Beast.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
Hummmm....

I wonder why the link quit working? (maybe because I did it from my phone?) It was literally a day old video.

Here is the link:

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 AM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
The link you provided no longer works, but I've probably seen the video. I've seen lots of videos on the same subject. I've heard people say, "It's ugly", "It's a polarizing design", "It makes no sense", "Why would anyone buy a car with less storage space than its SUV counterpart?", etc., etc., etc. Auto critics are notoriously conservative. They never like anything that's the least bit different. Being different is a major part of the appeal. The bottom line is this. I prefer an SUV because I'm tall and don't enjoy feeling like I'm getting into a go-cart whenever I drive. I don't have 3 kids and 2 dogs. Nor do I haul lumber on a regular basis. I DON'T NEED THE EXTRA STORAGE SPACE! Traditional SUV's are practical, yet clunky vehicles. At this stage of my life, I no longer need practical. I'm an empty nester. I wanted something sleek, sexy and fun to drive. I didn't want a shoe box on wheels. The Coupe checks all of those boxes.

Yup, he said ALL of those things. And as he's standing next to it, I can't help but think of the one thing that still turns my gears about this thing; it is a HUGE car! He's standing next to it, and the top of the hood is 8" above his waistline. He almost looks like a midget standing next to it, and the presenter is 6'4"!

Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube

Haters? I've had all kinds of complete strangers come up to me and tell me how much they love this car. Their diversity spans the full gamut......from teenagers to seniors, various ethnicities, male, female, you name it. I even had a sales clerk at a drive-thru window rave about the car, and he couldn't even see the entire vehicle. One guy in the Home Depot parking lot loved the car so much, he stopped and talked to me for a half hour! And I'm not even counting all of the people I catch (while stopped at a red light), admiring the car on the sly. Their eyes are rolled in my direction, but their heads are facing straight ahead. No other vehicle I've ever driven has made me grin from ear to ear at the sound of those loud, raunchy exhaust pops. So it seems like the Coupe has a lot more fans than haters. Personally, I prefer to be a leader, not a follower. I've always enjoyed being an iconoclast. This car is more rare than some cars costing twice as much. The people who hate it probably wear Hush Puppies and have never deviated from the missionary position.

Our last car got a lot of compliments as well, a VW Touareg, but for a different reason. It really is a nice looking SUV, and we got a lot of compliments on it. But the GLE gets a LOT more head turns as your driving, that's for sure. I agree with you on the rarity of this car. It's fun to drive something that no one else has, which was actually one of the things that we liked about the Touareg, and it is not near as rare as the GLE is, for sure.

Lastly, I love the comment about the Hush Puppies and missionary...
Old 10-27-2018, 02:15 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Yup, he said ALL of those things. And as he's standing next to it, I can't help but think of the one thing that still turns my gears about this thing; it is a HUGE car! He's standing next to it, and the top of the hood is 8" above his waistline. He almost looks like a midget standing next to it, and the presenter is 6'4"!

Our last car got a lot of compliments as well, a VW Touareg, but for a different reason. It really is a nice looking SUV, and we got a lot of compliments on it. But the GLE gets a LOT more head turns as your driving, that's for sure. I agree with you on the rarity of this car. It's fun to drive something that no one else has, which was actually one of the things that we liked about the Touareg, and it is not near as rare as the GLE is, for sure.

Lastly, I love the comment about the Hush Puppies and missionary...
LOL! Yelp, that's the exact same video I saw. Even though that's a 63, the same criticisms would apply to the 43. Makes me wonder who's the "everybody" he keeps talking about.

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 02-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
So, you never know if people are haters, or if they're just intrigued by what they are seeing.

Just gave the beast a bath, and it was all shiny and dry, and looking as good as it can look for being washed at the car wash. I went to fill it up, and there were some high school kids, their bus driver and their teacher coming out of the gas station. They were ALL looking at the vehicle trying to figure out what it was. I couldn't help. it. I dropped it into Sport+, and mashed it as I left the gas station. Too bad, I couldn't see the expressions on their faces.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
So, you never know if people are haters, or if they're just intrigued by what they are seeing.

Just gave the beast a bath, and it was all shiny and dry, and looking as good as it can look for being washed at the car wash. I went to fill it up, and there were some high school kids, their bus driver and their teacher coming out of the gas station. They were ALL looking at the vehicle trying to figure out what it was. I couldn't help. it. I dropped it into Sport+, and mashed it as I left the gas station. Too bad, I couldn't see the expressions on their faces.
LOL! Believe it or not, I've don't the exact same thing, and it was even at a gas station. Only difference being, they weren't school kids. They were two unsavory looking characters. They were admiring the car......to the point of being potential carjackers. I got the hell out of there quick, fast and in a hurry!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 E-Class Coupe (C238)
Hummmm....

I wonder why the link quit working? (maybe because I did it from my phone?) It was literally a day old video.
Well this is my first post but I couldn't help myself. I got through about 8 minutes of this video and had to shut it off. DeMuro is yet another schmo trying to make a name for himself on the internet with average car knowledge and a selfie stick. I get a laugh anytime someone says "Everyone hates...." or "A lot of people around here think...." People love to use imaginary coalitions to bolster their argument and it blows one's credibility to bits.

You should drive what you like. And ignore the noise.

Last edited by Archangel60; 01-07-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 RWD SUV (Premium 1, Parking Assist Package, H-K, I regret not getting Premium 2!)
Hummmm....

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0XQsuAdgw

HAHA doug is funny, but i don't think that he does see what this car really is. It has a bit of a cult following!
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 AM

2017 GLE 350 RWD SUV (Premium 1, Parking Assist Package, H-K, I regret not getting Premium 2!)
Originally Posted by Archangel60
Well this is my first post but I couldn't help myself. I got through about 8 minutes of this video and had to shut it off. DeMuro is yet another schmo trying to make a name for himself on the internet with average car knowledge and a selfie stick. I get a laugh anytime someone says "Everyone hates...." or "A lot of people around here think...." People love to use imaginary coalitions to bolster their argument and it blows one's credibility to bits.

You should drive what you like. And ignore the noise.
He isn't trying to make a name for himself; he already has made a name for himself since he is one of the most prominent car YouTubers. If you are really interested in cars he has a great channel. I agree that this video did exaggerate how much this car is hated by the car community. I don't think that many people dislike it. I'm not a fanboy or anything who is deeply offended, but he does have more than average car knowledge. He used to work for Porsche Corporate and has a pretty extensive background in car journalism (Jalopnik, being the face of Oversteer by Autotrader).

"You should drive what you like. And ignore the noise." Well said.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I love how people that buy the 43 or 53....or whatever the number, think they have an AMG
Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 E-Class Coupe (C238)
Originally Posted by lakshkalra
He isn't trying to make a name for himself; he already has made a name for himself since he is one of the most prominent car YouTubers. If you are really interested in cars he has a great channel. I agree that this video did exaggerate how much this car is hated by the car community. I don't think that many people dislike it. I'm not a fanboy or anything who is deeply offended, but he does have more than average car knowledge. He used to work for Porsche Corporate and has a pretty extensive background in car journalism (Jalopnik, being the face of Oversteer by Autotrader).

"You should drive what you like. And ignore the noise." Well said.
Thanks. And in my opinion...and with very few exceptions...these videos do little more than tell me the specs of a vehicle while at the same time trying too hard to be funny. And there's always the requisite "Woooooooohooohoooooo!!!" whenever they step on the throttle, as though they've never driven a car at speed before. With very few exceptions, I can get all the information they give out from a sales brochure or owners manual. I've watched a handful of videos by these "car youtubers" (e.g. DeMuro, "SaabKyle" and "Shmee") and learn almost nothing...except that maybe they could up their presentation skills a great deal. But what's informative to one is not to another, so we can agree to disagree on that. And I still maintain that making a blanket statement like "Everybody hates this car" is a pretty weak way to make an argument.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I love how people that buy the 43 or 53....or whatever the number, think they have an AMG
Your point?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Weeeelllll, I didn't hate mine but it didn't work for me so it got traded in for the standard SUV....

Pros:

different
staggered wheels
no roof rack
rear area closed off when ya close the lid
B&O sounded excellent
quicker than standard SUV, maybe because the tires are wider in the rear ? more grip ? it pulled a 3.9 0-60

Cons:

staggered wheels tended to tramline on less then perfect roads, had to pay attention when driving...
Truck/Hatch didn't open all the way to bottom of the floor, had to lift stuff pretty high to get it in there
a lot less space in the hatch area
no grab handles inside to help get in

Mike

Old 01-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Weeeelllll, I didn't hate mine but it didn't work for me so it got traded in for the standard SUV....
Woah i hope there wasn't too much negative equity!!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Archangel60
Your point?
Agreed!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by lakshkalra
Woah i hope there wasn't too much negative equity!!
bit off topic but no i did ok... there is a cult following for the gle63s coupes and i only had it for 4 month's... got a deal on a 2018 leftover gle63s ... all done at the same dealer...