GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Service Campaign 2019080019 Steering Rack Bolt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 43 Coupe
Service Campaign 2019080019 Steering Rack Bolt

FYI. I received a letter from MBUSA yesterday regarding service campaign 2019080019 for steering rack bolt replacement possible due to corrosion. I scheduled a appointment at local dealer next week to get it done.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Waynesreef, what state are you in?

It looks like they may only be sending out this letter to owners in the "salt belt". I have no idea exactly which states are included. Some states are obviously not in the salt belt. E.g. FL, NV, TX, etc.. However, some states could be considered borderline. So, what happens when you buy your vehicle in FL, then sell it to someone in ME? I'll tell you what. That person never gets a letter, and eventually, their bolts corrode. That's why this should be a recall, not a service campaign. Yet another cost-cutting shortcut taken by automakers.

Check the link below for more details. You can download the full letter here as well.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/se...-rack.3042774/
Old 02-25-2020, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
"Yet another cost-cutting shortcut taken by automakers."
and things like this can get costly.

i've been back to service many times over the last 2+ years dealing with a clunk coming up the steering column. i may have posted here. with the heat over the last summer, it got so bad i was basically done with the truck. problem for me was that it was starting to look like the new norm for MB builds. this was ending a 20+ year run for me. started looking for replacement vehicles but personal issues caused a turnover to be pushed until late spring 2020. needed front tires and i wasn't going to dump it with brand new tires so i got it in for its very last service on my dime in November. 2 tires and an oil change, told them not to touch anything else. service writer says "oh, there's a service campaign on the truck". caught the manager and asked if this was my problem; not sure.

well (not to jinx it), but 4 months later and about 3K and no clunk. so either it was the campaign issue or they fixed something else while doing the campaign. i'll vote the former. so no need to flip it (i really do like it) and i just had it back in for the remainder of the 50K.

the issue clearly has been out there for some time. dragging one's feet is not a good solution. old saying: it takes 20 years to build a reputation and 20 minutes to lose it.

ron