GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

SNOW CHAINS for GLE Coupe 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE Coupe AMG 63
SNOW CHAINS for GLE Coupe 63

Hi Guys. I just picked up my GLE Coupe AMG 63 the other day only to just discover that (a) I cant find snow tyres to fit my rear wheels and (b) You cant buy Snow Chains to fit the rear wheels.

We live in Australia and its compulsory AND a necessity to carry snow chains when we visit the ski fields (which we do most weekends). Our roads get very icy because of the constant freeze/thaw so snow tyres and chains are a must.

Ive been told i have to swap my current AMG 22" rims down to some boring 20 inch options so i can get everything to work.

I have worked out that if i buy a second set of front rims (in 22") and put them on the rear, they WILL fit and not disturb the breaks and suspension. And i CAN get snow tyres and chains to fit these wheels which will have 275/40/R22 tyres.

MY QUESTION: the rolling diameter (circumference) of the 275/40/R22 is 1% SMALLER than the existing 325/35/R22 rear wheels that came with the car. Is this smaller wheel going to affect the electronic stability control or any other computer funtions in the vehicle and prevent me from doing this??

Please help.

Bearzo
Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
Mine has 285's on the front...don't know if you just typed incorrectly or not or if it even makes much difference...that's a tough problem you have and I don't know if anyone here can give you the perfect answer. 1% doesn't seem like an issue but man it just scares me to go anything different. Dealership probably isn't going to be much help either but I think I would start with them and then maybe a reputable wheel and tire shop.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:30 AM

GTC Roadster
Also...I just thought about something else. I think the front wheels have a different offset than the rears which are deeper dish...not sure how that would affect fitment. You might research what the stock GLE wheel sizes are or maybe the 43 and see if that might be an option.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE Coupe AMG 63
Thanks tblountman, Good pickup on the tyre size. My Car actually does have 285's on the front not 275's but unfortunately you cant get 285 winter tyres so if i buy new front wheels to put on the rear, they will be 275's.

Regarding the offset, you are right about that as well. The front rims have an offset thats about 25mm less than the existing rear rims. However ive already taken one of the front rims off and tested it on the rear and it first and doesnt affect the brake calipers - there is still plenty of clearance. It also means the tyre will be further away from the suspension which means more clearance inside the wheel for the snow chain.

I have spoken to Mercedes and they are useless. Their "expert" in customer service basically reeled off standard policy and protocol "it could affect the car bla bla". The only option i have is to just try it out. That is, buy a new set of front rims, put them on the back and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 AM

GTC Roadster
Good luck...thinking 1% all the way around won't be detrimental.