GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Coolant leak on brand new 63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Coolant leak on brand new 63s

Hi all. New Mercedes owner here. Just got a GLE 63s about a month ago.

Needless to say, it's amazing. BUT... I have a concern. Today while driving the "low coolant" warning came on. Odd I thought, the car is brand new and only has about 700 miles. When I stopped the car, I noticed a lot of coolant leaking. Needless to say, the car was towed to dealership. I will hear more from them tomorrow.

My question for other GLE 63 or 63s owners is - has this happened to you, or have you heard of it? I ask because the tow truck driver who picked it up told me this is not the first 63 he has picked up with a coolant leak. All new, like mine. Of course when I mentioned this to the service advisor, he disagreed, and said he has not seen any others. Not sure if he was being truthful or not though....

Just trying to gather any info in case it's something faulty. I just want it fixed properly so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks in advance....

T
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 PM

AMG GLE 63s Coupe
So I have an update from the dealership. Something punctured the bottom of the radiator. I did not hit anything, so we believe someone may have been under the car trying to steal parts the other night when we were out to dinner (and probably got burnt in the process - I hope so anyway!).

But looking at their video, I'm concerned that this aluminum radiator is so exposed and so vulnerable. This could easily be damaged by anything you run over, even a rock being kicked up, and probably why the tow truck driver is seeing them also. A friend of mine who is a race car driver took a look at the video from the dealership and noticed there are flanges there where you can attach a protective screen. Does anyone have anything protecting theirs? If so, could you please share what is used. I would like to protect this from being damaged again if I can.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:35 PM

AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Old 06-11-2021, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLE53
Coolant Leak

I just brought in my AMG GLE for coolant leaking on the drivers side. They determined that one of the radiators was leaking and needed to be replaced. I asked if this will be a reoccurring issue and the service provider told me this is the second one to come in this month with the problem. The radiator did not have any damage, per the technician. We will see if this becomes a continuous problem or recall in the future.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Traci747
Sorry to hear about the problem. even with protection, debris can go through and damage. My fuel tank was ruptured by a flat small metal plate in the road that my front tires kicked up into the fuel tank.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:54 PM

AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Twilighthan
Sorry to hear about the problem. even with protection, debris can go through and damage. My fuel tank was ruptured by a flat small metal plate in the road that my front tires kicked up into the fuel tank.
Well that's no fun, either. Sorry to hear that happened.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:59 PM

AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by rudylake
I just brought in my AMG GLE for coolant leaking on the drivers side. They determined that one of the radiators was leaking and needed to be replaced. I asked if this will be a reoccurring issue and the service provider told me this is the second one to come in this month with the problem. The radiator did not have any damage, per the technician. We will see if this becomes a continuous problem or recall in the future.
I hope a recall then. As mentioned, my tow truck driver had seen several new AMG GLE's with leaks. And even the guy in the service department at Land Rover was aware of the problem. So when Mercedes tries to say my problem is unique, clearly they are lying. Guess we will see what happens down the road.