GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Got a 2016 AMG GLE63.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was 1999 C230K then 2003 C32 AMG NOW 2016 AMG GLE63
Got a 2016 AMG GLE63.

So, Welcome to my third Benzo, a 2016 AMG GLE63. I was originally looking for a C63, but I decided that my knees and back would appreciate the taller vehicle...

I have only put like 2500 miles on it so far so I don't have alot of questions yet. The one "problem" that I have had is I bought it ~200 mi from home and when I got home I was missing 2 lug bolts, one from each of the rear tires!!! I am quite certain they were there when I was looking it over prior to the sale, but I cannot tell for sure if they were removed at the dealer for some reason, or if they just somehow came out on a 200 mile drive. I bought a couple new bolts from my local M-B dealer, and all was good. then I figured out that over half of the flower head lug bolts were swelled up, and about a third were actually brand new so what I suspect was that the dealer was replacing them in onsies and twosies instead of as a set. I bought a full set and went to swap them out, and I found one that I couldn't even pound a socket onto. So, it went to a local shop for a tire rotation and paid them an extra $20 (what they charged me) for the one that was stuck...

So far I totally love it, is there any way to find out for sure if there is any type of tune on it?
The following users liked this post:
Carbon Dated (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 GLE 63S AMG, 2009 C63
Agree with you that your knees especially will appreciate the taller vehicle. (I used to have a C63...great car also, but not near as comfortable).
I also, totally love my GLE and I think it's much quicker than my C63, at least in a straight line.
I don't know how to tell if yours has a tune. I could definitely tell a difference after I had mine done though!
When you get a chance, post a picture of your new ride.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:43 AM

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
You can check if your car has a tune if you have a engine scanner, and check there if your car is ready for emissions and how many drive cycles there were since the last codes were cleared. It's not 100% solution, but besides actually going into the dealership to check your software or to a tuner shop in your area for them to read your DME parameters, the engine scanner costs less than $100 or you can borrow one from a buddy and it is a good start.

Another way is to actually test how fast the car is. The 2016 GLE 63 should do 12-12.2 seconds in a 1/4 mile stock. If it's in the 12 second range then it is stock, if it is way faster, than your car is definitely not stock and could have a tune. You can get a Dragy or a Vbox to test your times as the most official timers. GLUCK.