GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK winter tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
bump up. anyone shopping for winter rims and tires?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM

2010 GLK
Kent, from TireRack.com

$220.00 for a quantity of 4 433MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
$572 USD for Pirelli Scorpion 235/60-17
$500 USD for 17X8 moda MD6 Bright Silver Paint
-------
$1292 USD
Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
For Canadian, we don’t have a Tire Pressure Sensor so don’t need to buy one.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
You folks do realize that any 17" or 18" wheel that will fit a W204 C class will also fit your GLKs???

Go to Tire Rack, specify an '08 or '09 C350, and take you choice of dozens of possible 17" or 18" wheels that will fit the GLK....then pick any of the tire choices in the smaller sizes, and the "problem" ceases to exist.

235/60x17 is the OEM tire for the EU....that has a rolling diameter of approx 28.1". That means anything within .3" [27.8"-28.4"] of the same diameter will work fine, without causing you any significant speedo or odo problems. Thus, a 235/55x18 would be a bit taller, but not much, if you wanted to use 18's.

For snow driving, you want a narrow footprint and a higher profile - the OEM size in the 17 sure seems ideal to me, and there are good choices available in 235/60x17, both in winter and all-season tires.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
IMHO, the stock Pirelli Scorpions have done very well for me here in Colorado during the 3 storms I was in this past winter, 8" of wet spring snow... Not sure why you would need to go with some different, then again, I don't live in Canada where it really snows...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 PM

C35 OMG
It's an AWD SUV, all-seasons are fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM

2010 GLK350
GTA - snow tires?

anyone shop for snow tires in GTA? thinking about shuffling off to Buffalo to save $$$.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

2010 GLK 350
I always used winter tires on my vehicles, AWD or not. It is not because you're driving an AWD that it will brake better than a FWD. Yes, you'll have a better traction, but it will not change anything when it comes the time to stop. I will put winter tires on mine in December. I already have the wheel; I just need to get the tires.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Miric
I always used winter tires on my vehicles, AWD or not. It is not because you're driving an AWD that it will brake better than a FWD. Yes, you'll have a better traction, but it will not change anything when it comes the time to stop. I will put winter tires on mine in December. I already have the wheel; I just need to get the tires.
+1, it all comes down to what's between the car and the road. You can def. get by using all-seasons if you get just a few snow storms. I'm gonna see how 20's handle this winter, but thinking of getting 17's for winter, to keep the 20s in good shape.

Also no need to get TMPS for winter rims, as this system doesn't work in winter anyways.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
ha ha!! WINTER!!!! THAT'S WHY I MOVED AWAY FROM CHICAGO!! I was born and raised there and love the city, but hated the snow and frigid cold!!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
whatever floats your boat, but 90-100 in summer sux even more, atleast in winter you can put some clothes on, only so much you can take off in summer ahahah

Offtopic, but why SUV and why 4matic in texas? I'd be driving a RWD sports coupe over there.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
phs

12 SLK55AMG 18 C43AMG 19GLC63sAMG
Talking Canadian version of TMPS (aftermarket)

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
+1, it all comes down to what's between the car and the road. You can def. get by using all-seasons if you get just a few snow storms. I'm gonna see how 20's handle this winter, but thinking of getting 17's for winter, to keep the 20s in good shape.

Also no need to get TMPS for winter rims, as this system doesn't work in winter anyways.

Here in Canada, we do not have the TMPS system as in the US. We have a passive system using the ABS to monitor tire rotation. The assumption is that if one tire is lower in pressure than the rest of the tires, it would generate a rpm discrepancy, hence signalling an alert. The drawback is that it cannot tell you which tire is the "guilty" one. You have to check all the tires to find out. Secondly, if all tires are underinflated to the same extent, which could happen when there is a sharp drop in ambient temperature like in our Canadian winter, the system would not be activated because there is no observable discrepancy in rpm among the four tires overall.

I have installed in both my GLK and my C350 the tire pressure monitoring system from Hella. Got it from Tirerack. It works quite well with the display of the tire pressure of all four wheels in real time, stationary or on the move. I installed the display where the ashtray use to be with some minor filing down of the plastic enclosure. The warning system comes both in audible signal and visually with flashing light. You can set your own alert threshold, display color and alarm signal color. Signal of tire pressure comes from the wireless transmitter which is an integral part of the valve stem which comes in four with the monitor included in the kit. I find that it is especially useful in the winter when I do not want to get out of the car to check the tires. It gives me peace of mind with a push of the display button on the monitor. I have posted pictures in another GLK forum but will show them here again. I hope that it would offer as an option to help us Canadian drivers live through our harsh winter.

GLK winter tires-img_0314.jpg

GLK winter tires-img_0316.jpg

GLK winter tires-img_0303.jpg

GLK winter tires-img_0309.jpg

GLK winter tires-img_0308.jpg

GLK winter tires-img_0313.jpg
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
summers here, are like winters up north. you only really are outside for a short time. except me, i work outside all day. i have one mean farmer tan!!
i also like the multi-use of a suv, even though it's on the smaller end. plus, i have a 105lb domerman pinchser who comes everywhere with me.
and yes my glk has 4matic, and heated seats! i will probably use the heated seats once or twice a winter. when it rains here is POURS!! there is quite alot of flooding and the roads can get somewhat slick, so i think the 4matic might help, plus i didn't want to wait for a 2wd glk.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
I was in my local dealership today to have a wiper blade replaced and noticed they were already putting up the winter snow tire promos. Asked what they recommend for winter tires on the GLK:

Continental ContiCrossContact Winter 235/60R17

Further discount if I buy the tires, rims, mounting and balancing as a pre-winter special. They'll even store the four tires until winter and swap them out before the first snowfall at no extra cost.

Seems to be decent tires so I'll probably go with the package promo. Further, he told me the TPMS could be turned off for the winter if I chose not to install tire pressure sensors on the 17s. Can anyone else validate that?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think I read TPMS do not work in winter, check the manual.

Never heard of Conti winters, but I would never get winter set from a dealer. Not sure how it woks in Germany, but in US you'll pay twice as much at the stealership.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 AM

I think I read TPMS do not work in winter, check the manual.

Never heard of Conti winters, but I would never get winter set from a dealer. Not sure how it woks in Germany, but in US you'll pay twice as much at the stealership.
OK, I'll check. Are the sensors temp sensitive or what? Otherwise, shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't work in the winter.

Regarding the dealership's winter tire package, unless one of the local independent tire stores runs a special closer to winter, the price is about a wash if I want the M-B 5-spoke 17" alloy wheels.

TireRack is totally out of there with an excess of $300 shipping charge for four tires and rims from the States. Somewhat less I suppose if I get M-B rims locally but I still pay the full going rate for mounting and balancing. When the M-B dealership rolls it all together in a heavily-discounted pre-winter special, it doesn't look too bad by the time I add up everything.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza are available in 19'' and are great all around tires for snow/rain and dry pavement. Might think about just putting on a set of those for your normal tires and see how they handle through the snow. I have had two sets now and have been very happy with their performance in the snow.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Chilledbenz! Unfortunately, those tires aren't branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol in the sidewall. They are merely all-weather tires and don't meet the severe snow service requirements in European alpine regions. Using all-weather (M+S) tires in lieu of the correct winter tires gets you a substantial fine if you impede traffic (by getting stuck in places where correctly shod vehicles are able to travel without difficulty, being unable to proceed up a snowy hill, going out of control descending a snowy grade, etc.). Worse, if you're involved in an accident with incorrect tires, your insurance company has the right to deny the claim, even if you're not cited as causing the accident.

So it's pretty important to use the correct tires in Europe. And I'm not aware of any company making severe snow service tires larger than 17 inch sized for the GLK.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Yea, all-seasons are nowhere near winter tires, but they'll get you around.

I'm trying to find where in the manual I read it, but can't at the moment....I think the reason TPMS don't work in winter is because of temperature and therefore pressure fluctuation, I guess there is enough change that would trigger TPMS all the time.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM

....I think the reason TPMS don't work in winter is because of temperature and therefore pressure fluctuation, I guess there is enough change that would trigger TPMS all the time.
I'd think the pressure variations would be greater during high-speed driving in the summer months in the western states so I'm not sure that's correct. But I am thinking maybe the expected tire slippages in the winter months might frequently set off the older indicator which compares the rotational speeds of the tires and alerts when one is different. If that's the case, disabling the system with winter tires installed would save a lot of false report service aggravations. But that line of reason shouldn't apply to the post-Jun '09 builds which incorporated actual tire pressure readouts.

Just a guess. I haven't gone to the garage yet to get my Owner's Manual. If there's something in there, I guess I missed it.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Really, people....

TPMS doesn't "stop working in the winter". You may get more warning messages unless you pump up the tires the first time cold temps hit, but that's it. There are no references in the owner's manual to the system not functioning in the winter - I hate TPMS, wish it weren't there, despise the expense and complexity, but it is in response to a US legal requirement, and MUST work by law all the time - it doesn't get to take the winter off.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Thanks for the suggestion, Chilledbenz! Unfortunately, those tires aren't branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol in the sidewall. They are merely all-weather tires and don't meet the severe snow service requirements in European alpine regions. Using all-weather (M+S) tires in lieu of the correct winter tires gets you a substantial fine if you impede traffic (by getting stuck in places where correctly shod vehicles are able to travel without difficulty, being unable to proceed up a snowy hill, going out of control descending a snowy grade, etc.). Worse, if you're involved in an accident with incorrect tires, your insurance company has the right to deny the claim, even if you're not cited as causing the accident.

So it's pretty important to use the correct tires in Europe. And I'm not aware of any company making severe snow service tires larger than 17 inch sized for the GLK.
Ha ha ha ok I didnt realize you needed severe service tires, thought you were just looking for a good winter/summer tire. I had a set of Nokian WR tires on an old ML that had the severe service emblem and were awesome in the snow, but a bit rough on dry pavement. They also make some serious winter tires, even studded if you really need to get around.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
I'd think the pressure variations would be greater during high-speed driving in the summer months in the western states so I'm not sure that's correct. But I am thinking maybe the expected tire slippages in the winter months might frequently set off the older indicator which compares the rotational speeds of the tires and alerts when one is different. If that's the case, disabling the system with winter tires installed would save a lot of false report service aggravations. But that line of reason shouldn't apply to the post-Jun '09 builds which incorporated actual tire pressure readouts.

Just a guess. I haven't gone to the garage yet to get my Owner's Manual. If there's something in there, I guess I missed it.
My understanding was the opposite, that fluctuation in tire pressure greater in winter. Temp. swings down to -20C from +10C while in summer it's between +15 and +30C. I understand tires further heat up during driving but not sure by how much the really heat up during either season. But most importantly it's all about how much air expands given the temperature change, not sure if it's linear and at what temp level it's greater (don't remember my 8th grade physics). Once again I think I read that TMPS don't work in winter in Euro manual as I could not quickly located the same info in US manual. Gotta check out other forums, I'm sure this has come up several times.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I don't think there will be a 3rd party solution for 19/20" snow tires. I am sure MB is just salavating at how much they will get from those of us who will want to purchase winter tires on some "MB Winter Tire Rim". I thought it out, I think I will rely on the fulltime 4WD and just change my 20" every year or whenever they get below 50% tire wear. I am in lease mode for another 30months so this makes the most sense for me. Besides if I don't bang up those rims on the curb and wreak a tire or two, how will I ever get my $$$ worth from that Tire and Rim protection package I signed up for :-)
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 AM

GLK350
Gotta agree with jrct9454 from a few posts ago re: 18 or 17inch wheels for winter. There's a good calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

You can key in:
235 60 17
235 55 18
235 50 19
235 45 20
and see the differences. Specific tires may vary slightly from the calculations.

Tirerack site shows a wide range of 17 and 18 inch wheel options with 45mm offset (use the c350 model to find them.) Winter tire selection for 235 60 17, or 235 55 18 is much broader than for 19 and 20 inch wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK winter tires