1st Impression GLK350 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
1st Impression GLK350 4Matic

Got one from my dealership to tool around in for a few days. Nice black one less than 1000k on the clock. Interior wise, obviously similar to the C class which makes sense. Like the updated Nav look and placement. They use some type of black gloss plastic material for the shift console and ashtray lid which I thought was kind of odd given that C's is aluminum. The shift knob also doesn't have the aluminum trim. I also though the lumbar support was bit confusing it has a funny 6 way adjustable click wheel which was interesting to play with. I do wish it had those cool looking runners on the sides some of the ML's do. I bet its an option, but it wasn't fitted on this one. I would definatly go for them if I were to get 1 for myself. I fit a 50" plasma we picked up today in the back with the rear seats down no problem. Car accelerated well and actually handled pretty well on those 20s, body roll was minimal. Also noticed that pano roof doesn't allow for roof mount flip down screen for rear passengers which may be something for some to consider. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Its a quality mid-size suv.

A note about styling. I like the overall appearance of the GLK. I think it would clean up nicely with two easy-to-do mods. As I have done w/ my C class, I would personally remove the stick on chrome trim on the lower outside door panels. It should come off easily with some dental floss. I would also have just the windows of the 20" wheels powdercoated black. If you can picture it, I think it would look great and still keep the silver finish on the face of wheel would look awesome on a black car. If I were really into getting my own look with this GLK I'd also bake the headlights and remove that amber marker inside. However, it is nice that there isn't a seperate amber reflector located on the bumper. Someone should give these mods a shot! You won't even have to buy new wheels just use the ones ya got! Anyone good w/ photoshop??

Last edited by AMGTestDriverNJ; 03-09-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK
I agree with the chrome strip on the side...if you get the side step rails they prevent the door dings. The "off road" European version has the side chrome removed and the step rails standard. Do you feel the chrome rail on the back bumper (same vertical height as door chrome strips) looks out of place too...as this line is brought around to the side doors?

BTW...my GLK next week delivery is black / step rails and I had thought about removing the side chrome trim...great minds right AMGTestDriverNJ ?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
The shift knob also doesn't have the aluminum trim.

A note about styling. I like the overall appearance of the GLK. I think it would clean up nicely with two easy-to-do mods. As I have done w/ my C class, I would personally remove the stick on chrome trim on the lower outside door panels.
Yes, thankfully the GLK shift knob is leather trimmed, much nicer for your hand in cold weather than aluminum. I looked into a leather trimmed knob for my wife's C350 Sport, but I was told it would cost $400+ !!!! Now, the same knob is standard with the GLK !

As for the lower chrome trim on the door panels, I agree with you IF the running boards are installed. Since the chrome trim is not parallel to the running boards, these two bright "lines" do not integrate very well. IMO, it's one or the other, not both.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Schutzen
I agree with the chrome strip on the side...if you get the side step rails they prevent the door dings. The "off road" European version has the side chrome removed and the step rails standard. Do you feel the chrome rail on the back bumper (same vertical height as door chrome strips) looks out of place too...as this line is brought around to the side doors?

BTW...my GLK next week delivery is black / step rails and I had thought about removing the side chrome trim...great minds right AMGTestDriverNJ ?
I have to double check but I think it will come off the same as the C class. Some of those chrome trims are actually mouldings and leave holes if you remove. Haha yea must be. What else if anything are you interested in doing to it? There is so much aftermarket support on this car already its great you can get just about anything you want. BTW, I really like the new design on the mirror turn signals.

Last edited by AMGTestDriverNJ; 03-10-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Yes, thankfully the GLK shift knob is leather trimmed, much nicer for your hand in cold weather than aluminum. I looked into a leather trimmed knob for my wife's C350 Sport, but I was told it would cost $400+ !!!! Now, the same knob is standard with the GLK !

As for the lower chrome trim on the door panels, I agree with you IF the running boards are installed. Since the chrome trim is not parallel to the running boards, these two bright "lines" do not integrate very well. IMO, it's one or the other, not both.
I'm sure you can find a shift knob cheaper than that! I've seen shift knobs for your car from Brabus and others cheaper than that. And yes, I'll agree that you should probably keep them if you don't have the runners just to avoid parking lot dings and such. What do you plan to do to change your GLK if anything? Did you see all the ones they did for SEMA? I'm suprised there is no thread of pictures of those trucks in this section.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
I'm sure you can find a shift knob cheaper than that! I've seen shift knobs for your car from Brabus and others cheaper than that. And yes, I'll agree that you should probably keep them if you don't have the runners just to avoid parking lot dings and such. What do you plan to do to change your GLK if anything?
Well, that was the price for the OEM leather knob for a C350. As for any mods to my GLK, I think that I will keep it stock apart from adding mud flaps. I also plan to use the GLK for some off-road adventures; that's why I passed on the 20" wheels.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would have passed on the 20"s too if I were into the offroad scene. I think it would be cool if you did some off road customization to it. Mud flaps are a good start, what wheels and tires are you going to put on it? Maybe a winch and some crash bars would be cool? Custom trunk ladder and all? No I'm kidding but some of those things might be cool. Could you imagine like an LR Defender-style snorkel on a GLK? haha I'm
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
I would have passed on the 20"s too if I were into the offroad scene. I think it would be cool if you did some off road customization to it. Mud flaps are a good start, what wheels and tires are you going to put on it?
I already have a set of GLK 17" 5 spoke alloys with Pirelli Scorpion Ice/Snow tires for winter and serious off roading.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I already have a set of GLK 17" 5 spoke alloys with Pirelli Scorpion Ice/Snow tires for winter and serious off roading.
How do you like the GLK? Have you taken delivery Derek? And the 5 spoke alloys, very nice I figure?