GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Prototype parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Prototype parts

This week I am having my prototype strut tower brace, adjustable camber arms and possibly swaybars built. Almost ready to launch my performance MB parts company
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Congrats on the prototype parts, does this affect your warranty in any way?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM

GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by Leslielp
Congrats on the prototype parts, does this affect your warranty in any way?
I have not looked into it yet. I am sure that most people that buy these parts are serious enthusiasts and have made mods that are Code 8 according to MB.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
This week I am having my prototype strut tower brace, adjustable camber arms and possibly swaybars built. Almost ready to launch my performance MB parts company
So how many people are even thinking about getting this stuff for their GLKs???

This is not a Honda civic. I really don't get people taking well engineered car and then taking half of the engineering out, but what I know. And what's the point of putting that stuff on GLK anyways? What you gonna take it to the track???? I think you picked a wrong car for that. Maybe you do have some valid points, please educate me.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
So how many people are even thinking about getting this stuff for their GLKs???

This is not a Honda civic. I really don't get people taking well engineered car and then taking half of the engineering out, but what I know. And what's the point of putting that stuff on GLK anyways? What you gonna take it to the track???? I think you picked a wrong car for that. Maybe you do have some valid points, please educate me.
The word just got out yesterday and I have had enough response that I know I hit the right product. I never said I was selling a Honda product! If you know what a strut tower brace does then you'd know that I was taking nothing out of the GLK, but adding more support to the great job MB did.

By what you are saying I can tell this product is not for you. I like my vehicles to have a solid predictable feel. I want to know that when I turn the vehicle whether it be for sport or avoiding a hazard it will turn instantly. Also if our GLK's were perfect then I guess Lorinser, Brabus, Renntech etc...are all wrong in making their parts? Everyone of those brands makes a GLK that is far superior to the factory version.

Thank you for your response!

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 04-28-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
OK I relealize not all of those parts are replacement, but adjustable camber amrs and sway bars are not just an addition (unless GLK doesn't have a sway bars). Let me ask you this, how much predictability will your strut tower brace really add? and how do you justifiably measure it? lane change speed? lateral g? Shouldn't you then add wider tires, lower the car and take some weight of the car? Ohh and stiffer suspension too. I bet it'll be very predictable, but what's the point? Who buys an SUV for good handling? And and real world driving GLK handles pretty well. I took ramps faster than in any of my previous cars with more confidence. Even if I could take them even faster I don't think I should or would, that's what race tracks are for. I know sway bars and all those parts can make a huge difference on a toyota camry and even some german cars, just because manufactures have many constaints (realibility of the parts, cost, balance of the car, standards to meet etc.), I just think GLK is a wrong car for performance upgrades, unless we are talking about supercharging this thing hehe.

And as far as Lorinser, Brabus, and Renntech go how many of them do you see? I have seen 2 brabus ML's over past 6 years in the states (maybe just a brabus aero kit). And those are high class tunners, whose products cost as much as the car itself. It's one thing when you have unlimited amount of money and you want to make you 200k car faster and more special (not better). What's the point of spending arm and a leg to make GLK handle better, when you can buy c-class (or bimmer) if handling is your thing?

Maybe my car enthusiasm is just going away....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM

I just think GLK is a wrong car for performance upgrades, unless we are talking about supercharging this thing hehe.

And as far as Lorinser, Brabus, and Renntech go how many of them do you see? I have seen 2 brabus ML's over past 6 years in the states (maybe just a brabus aero kit). And those are high class tunners, whose products cost as much as the car itself. It's one thing when you have unlimited amount of money and you want to make you 200k car faster and more special (not better). What's the point of spending arm and a leg to make GLK handle better, when you can buy c-class (or bimmer) if handling is your thing?

Maybe my car enthusiasm is just going away....
Like I said these parts are not for you. You obviously just want to go from point A-B so why keep posting on this thread. this thread is for people interested in adding performance to their rides.

By the way, I am going to add boost to my GLK.

I live in California so I see Brabus vehicles as well as a lot of other tuner cars quite often.

As far as people wanting to spend an arm and a leg on their GLK's goes, I am not one of them. That is why I am starting my own company with real World prices.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
4MATIC, keep doing what your doing!

Don't let others who are not interested in the products put down what your trying to do.

People put aftermarket parts on every vehicle, it could be a seadoo, snowmobile, dirt bike, SUV, pick up, luxury car, sports car.. even a Honda.

Its about making it your own and modding what you want.
Thanks to you we have a choice of other things than just rims...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by fishsriz
4MATIC, keep doing what your doing!

Don't let others who are not interested in the products put down what your trying to do.

People put aftermarket parts on every vehicle, it could be a seadoo, snowmobile, dirt bike, SUV, pick up, luxury car, sports car.. even a Honda.

Its about making it your own and modding what you want.
Thanks to you we have a choice of other things than just rims...
I would never let anyone turn me away from what "I AM" going to do. I am a very motivated person and will not stop till I reach my goal. As of right now I have 24 products on my to-do list.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
fishriz right about people like you bringing some aftermarket parts, don't listen to me, I'm just devil's advocate. You seem to be pretty serious, maybe you will bring some good parts.

I'm curious about 24 product list (hoping they are not all performance parts). Carbon fiber trim to replace shiny black pieces around the shifter and LED fog replacements would be nice as well as something to stop hurricane in the car when sunroof is open. And if you can make heated steering retrofit (I know you are in CA, and prolly have no idea why anybody would want that) you can sell it to entire northeast and Canada, you know, to keep funding for your perfromance parts.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 PM

fishriz right about people like you bringing some aftermarket parts, don't listen to me, I'm just devil's advocate. You seem to be pretty serious, maybe you will bring some good parts.

I'm curious about 24 product list (hoping they are not all performance parts). Carbon fiber trim to replace shiny black pieces around the shifter and LED fog replacements would be nice as well as something to stop hurricane in the car when sunroof is open. And if you can make heated steering retrofit (I know you are in CA, and prolly have no idea why anybody would want that) you can sell it to entire northeast and Canada, you know, to keep funding for your perfromance parts.
3/4 of the parts that I have ideas for will be firsts for the GLK's. There will be interior and exterior pieces as well as performance parts.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
you can sell it to entire northeast and Canada, you know, to keep funding for your perfromance parts.
Good idea for American's but Heated Seats are standard in Canada.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM

GLK 350
4Matic keep us posted on your new developments. I am always keen to see if I can find a product of my liking. Post pics, price, and review on your strut brace.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by fishsriz
Good idea for American's but Heated Seats are standard in Canada.
I'm talking about heated steering wheel.

ML has heated steering wheel as an option, not sure why they can't make it available on GLK and C. Even 30k BMW 128 has it as an option.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Baby G
4Matic keep us posted on your new developments. I am always keen to see if I can find a product of my liking. Post pics, price, and review on your strut brace.
I will keep you guys posted. I am scheduled to have the brace done tomorrow or early Thursday. I will take pics as soon as it is finished.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 AM

I left the GLK with my fabricator and expect to have the Brace done tomorrow. Testing will follow.

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 04-29-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 PM

The prototype brace is done! I took my GLK for a run through some twisties on the outskirt of Gilroy. Since it works as well as it does I have decided not to go forward with making sway bars as of right now. The suspension was solid even through the tightest turns. Very predictable steering at all speeds. I am happy to finally be done with the my first product. Now I can sleep a little better....LOL
Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Test fitting to check for clearance.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Strut Tower brace before the 3rd center support was added. (Not final design)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 AM

Close up pic of the mounting plate. 7/8" chromoly twin tube design. Entire brace is made out of 4130 chromoly.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 AM

An overhead pic showing the entire brace. The center support cross brace layout is not finalized yet. Just the prototype version shown. This brace is a DIY install. everything is direct bolt-on, no drilling required and can be removed in a matter of minutes with no visible marks left behind. Mounting hardware will be included.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 AM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Smile IM READY TO BUY

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED

CONGRATS!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM

2010 GLK 350, 2008 F450 Pick Up, 2005 325
Why two tubes? What size is that tubing, 3/4"? How about a single piece of 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" in the center with the 3/4" "loops" on the ends attached to the plates? You could probably get away with DOM tubing to be more cost effective too. Looks good so far. I like the detail on the strut plates.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

GLK 350 4matic
^^ agree, from mechanical rigidity point of view. A single larger tube is much better than 2 smaller ones. I don't know however, how much room you have under the hood.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM

2010 GLK 350, 2008 F450 Pick Up, 2005 325
Originally Posted by yualfred
^^ agree, from mechanical rigidity point of view. A single larger tube is much better than 2 smaller ones. I don't know however, how much room you have under the hood.
The larger diameter tube can be "smashed" to make it oval shaped or DOM material can be ordered in the oval shape.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Prototype parts