GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350 is in last place against Q5, RX350 and SC60 Really????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
here's my 2 cents....

I am deciding between the RDX and GLK....

Honestly, I've been a Honda guy since highschool and must admit that the looks of the GLK is great if not better than the RDX. However, I am still a little skeptical about the German MB due to the fact that in all Consumer Reports it states poor repair history and also very low Customer Satisfaction across the board.
If you get a chance to look into today's current issue, you'll see that MB overall has a very low score. Who's at the top? Scion, Toyota, Honda (mainly the Japs).
So, could the reviewers be more biased for the Audi? in the MotorTrend issue? Possibly. If you read this article carefully, GLK did score high over the competiton, in braking, feel, height clearance, etc. Moreover, the GLK did not satisfy one particulars reviewer?
So...to sum it up...buy what your 'heart' tells you and not your mind. Your mind may get clogged with 'all kinds of stuff', whereas your 'heart' is truly the driving force.

If you can share your experience with MB especially the G-L-K, I would be grateful...

My 2 cents.....
If you are scared of reliabily issues buy a radio flyer wagon. Seriously how can you say I dont want a bmw or a jaguar or audi or a mercedes because all I want from a car is reliabilty. Thats like saying all I want from a girl friend is punctuality. In all seriousness the only fun you can get out of acura is to drive with your head out the sunroof.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by audi_guy
If you are scared of reliabily issues buy a radio flyer wagon. Seriously how can you say I dont want a bmw or a jaguar or audi or a mercedes because all I want from a car is reliabilty. Thats like saying all I want from a girl friend is punctuality. In all seriousness the only fun you can get out of acura is to drive with your head out the sunroof.
Make no sense. What's the fun in driving BMW to dealer every weekend and driving a loaner during the week? I personally don't have time for that. And some people just don't drive in conditions to have fun. If you are in traffic or on 40mph road does it really matter what you drive from fun perspective? It still does from reliability, comfort and luxury.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

glk
I guess it's time for my .02cnts..(1900 miles so far)

As far as steering goes..yes a little heavier steering would be nice. I find the steering a bit tad on the light side. The 20inch tires might be a contributing factor to this.

The appearence package(wheels and tires) looks great but you feel every bump on the road. The tires IMO should have been a little wider and taller(to soak up the bumps better). When cornering(with slight deviations on the ground) the car tends to bounce too much(even the traction light comes on). The tires sidewall is not enough for the weight of the vehicle(again IMO). This problem should go away with different size tires.

Aside from that, the car is very well made. It's very comfortable(I'm 6'2"). So far I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Hopes this helps...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Make no sense. What's the fun in driving BMW to dealer every weekend and driving a loaner during the week? I personally don't have time for that. And some people just don't drive in conditions to have fun. If you are in traffic or on 40mph road does it really matter what you drive from fun perspective? It still does from reliability, comfort and luxury.
I used to drive a IS250, it was a great looking car dont get me wrong.

But man was that a boring car, you could have no fun what so ever in that car, you couldent corner, because a the car wasnt made for that and b neither were the seats. On the other hand my old a4 was a champ sure if pushed hard enough it would understeer off a cliff but it had the balance that I am looking for in a car. Not a smooth enough ride that will lul me to sleep, and not a ride that will make me add the chiropracter as a stop home. The lexus failed to that and this something that germans excell in. My CLK will shread the tires and keep me nice and snug in my seat when I want it too yet it also provides a relaxing drive. Same goes with my ML it can go like stink for a suv, and it can haul my family comfterably and safely. The japaneese have not yet accomplished that.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:13 AM

GLK 350X :0
Cool thanks NYCGLK

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 AM

Hey Audi Guy...
looks like you still need to be in an Audi?
What I was saying is that I am trying to build up some "confidence" of German engineering and reliability ... especially of the GLK based on the "C-class". This forum has helped me to some extent...and am still leaning stronger everyday as many of you have given me some positive insight and feedback. Hondas have a good record and sometimes it hard to switch over if there is not good track record with MB.
However, lately MB has been spending more R&D with 'real-time' testing rather than relying on computers. This is shown on the C's E's, S's and now on the GLK.
One of the local dealer told me that the parts business in relation to service has gone down by about 30% since last year. Not good for the Parts Department, nevertheless MB has been having "record sales months" every month since mid 2008.
Meaning that MB has put more $ in quality control to maintain great cars' name and are selling more cars than ever before. : )
Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Hey Audi Guy...
looks like you still need to be in an Audi?
What I was saying is that I am trying to build up some "confidence" of German engineering and reliability ... especially of the GLK based on the "C-class". This forum has helped me to some extent...and am still leaning stronger everyday as many of you have given me some positive insight and feedback. Hondas have a good record and sometimes it hard to switch over if there is not good track record with MB.
However, lately MB has been spending more R&D with 'real-time' testing rather than relying on computers. This is shown on the C's E's, S's and now on the GLK.
One of the local dealer told me that the parts business in relation to service has gone down by about 30% since last year. Not good for the Parts Department, nevertheless MB has been having "record sales months" every month since mid 2008.
Meaning that MB has put more $ in quality control to maintain great cars' name and are selling more cars than ever before. : )
I understand where you are coming from, I have owned 2 w163 ML's they are basicly the worst from the bunch. Basicly what I am trying to say is new merc's and german cars in general are great buys and theyre is not much to be afraid of. No one really makes a bad car in this day and age because if they do they will not stay in buisness long(chrysler cough). A small thing to note is MB engineered the GLK for you. its ment to be a entry to the mercedes family. They made this car so well and reek of quality for one reason so that when youre a little older and have some more spare change you will not hesitate to upgrade to ML or GL or if sedans are your thing a E or S.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Talking thanks audi guy

thanks for your positive feedback...
Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
Yes, comparo article is MB propaganda and many points are just silly, BUT that does not negate the few very strong points and good pictures provided to support strong points.

IMHO, brakes, true dual exhaust system, underside air flow, insulation, protective covers and finish details are significant and pictures really support the points.

Would like to see same comparo with Audi Q5, the real competition until new X3 arrives next year.

Thank you BofSteel for posting MB brochure.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 AM

GLK350
http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/edge-...5&artid=107913

Another multi vehicle test. Here Volvo beats GLK for 1st place.

I'm not a fan of the Volvo styling, nor the price comparison when done in Canadian $.

I must say I agree with the comment on the GLK door sil. Why did they design it so wide? (it's even worse of course for running boards.)

Also, while I'm not bothered by the steering feel, you can't say that the GLK provides much if any feedback about what the front wheels are doing.

We love our GLK, nicest machine I've ever owned.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:16 AM

BMW 325i, Z3 coupe
C&D comparo: again GLK is last, this time out of 5 cars

I just got May issue of C&D and they compared GLK, RX350, XC60, X3 and Q5. And GLK is in the last place, yet again. Looks like the numb steering and the rear seat access were the main culprits.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
On the other hand that's good, less people will be buying GLK it'll stay fresh longer. I can't believe X3 was better, but that's C&D for you. I read their sedan comparo article and they praised G37 but gave it second place next to 328, for which I didn't see too many positives in their write up.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by GadgetGLK
http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/edge-...5&artid=107913

Another multi vehicle test. Here Volvo beats GLK for 1st place.

I'm not a fan of the Volvo styling, nor the price comparison when done in Canadian $.

I must say I agree with the comment on the GLK door sil. Why did they design it so wide? (it's even worse of course for running boards.)

Also, while I'm not bothered by the steering feel, you can't say that the GLK provides much if any feedback about what the front wheels are doing.

We love our GLK, nicest machine I've ever owned.

Cheers!
This was an easy contest as the rest of the cars are not really luxury brands imo....
Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 PM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yeah, and according to the article:
A peculiar move by Volvo was to place the navigation system buttons behind the right-side steering wheel hub, which caused one of the staff (who shall remain anonymous) to ask for help, not knowing how to get past the disclaimer screen. It works, feels awkward, but works.

Originally Posted by Jimmie48
This was an easy contest as the rest of the cars are not really luxury brands imo....
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Would have really considered it too though as our company has pricing incentives with Ford but with changes in the US auto industry I had second thoughts.... A couple of years ago I wouldn't have considered MB as it had the Chrysler name attached to it.

Originally Posted by jpjolo
Yeah, and according to the article:
A peculiar move by Volvo was to place the navigation system buttons behind the right-side steering wheel hub, which caused one of the staff (who shall remain anonymous) to ask for help, not knowing how to get past the disclaimer screen. It works, feels awkward, but works.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
I'm too lazy to read the review

All I know is that I'm glad that I got the GLK over the competitors.

I'm happy with mines, thats all that matters to me...

GLK is numero uno in my book
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by MadLorGLK
I'm too lazy to read the review
Wow, now that's some kind of lazy. Glad you're not in my business.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 AM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;

Ooowwiiieee!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM

GLK 4Matic
I just got back from the UK a few days ago and I thought I would see GLK's there but didn't. I saw ML's and I think I may have seen a GL or two but not one GLK. I would have thought that the diesel GLK would have been eaten up over there. Also, I've never seen so may MB's on the road before and it was neato to see models not released in the US. Oh, other than one GLK on the road just a few days after release, I haven't seen anymore other than on trucks. I guess I wouldn't doubt GLK is in last place.
P.S. I raced a diesel MINI Cooper Clubman around the Silverstone curcuit and I loved it!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Question

hello...do you own MB?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
hello...do you own MB?
Yes...Daimler stock so I guess I do indeed "own [a small portion of] MB" until my GLK arrives in apx eight weeks.

It'll replace an XC90 which has been a good vehicle for winter driving and getting to the ski slopes.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by speednme

The appearence package(wheels and tires) looks great but you feel every bump on the road. The tires IMO should have been a little wider and taller(to soak up the bumps better)
After owning 2 BMW's I welcome the GLK350 & comfort it rides.
BMW's with "Sport Package" hit a bump & you lose your fillings!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Barry626
After owning 2 BMW's I welcome the GLK350 & comfort it rides.
BMW's with "Sport Package" hit a bump & you lose your fillings!
I thought the same thing. Even tho I haven't owned BMW only test drove a few WITHOUT sport packages and they were a lot harsher. I think GLK rides really smoothly with 20's. I guess it all depends what kind of car you are coming from.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM

C35 OMG
IMHO, the Q5 isn't that great. Audi's well-known for their reliability problems. But people just make such a big deal out of this car, and in a way, I can see why: it looks astonishing. There's a new saying "Audi is the new c*ck", I guess people are more-or-less going for brand than for car.

I own a 2007 RDX; it's great. But in the end, I still want to own a German car as well. The reliability differences between a JAP and a GERMAN car is night and day, but I am ready for that because I'd really like to experience the greatness of German engineering. The performance on the GLK is definitely going to be better than the RDX.

I don't like the new RX350 or the XC60. I don't really like Lexus and Volvo in general. They're boring drives.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK350 is in last place against Q5, RX350 and SC60 Really????