Break Assist Doesn't Really work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Break Assist Doesn't Really work?

So I'm going up this rather steep hill and had to stop for a light. Perfect time to test the break assist feature. So I push the break pedal all the way down and release. Car was held for about 2-3 seconds and then started rolling back. I try again push and release break pedal, car stays for about 2-3 seconds and starts rolling back. It seems as if the breaks hold the car for a bit but then release for some reason after a few seconds. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to see my dealer?

This feature seemed to work on smaller hills, but my fiance says she experienced the same thing I did recently on a regular hill.

EDIT: Page 164 of the manual, The hill assist is designed to hold the car just for a second while you moving your foot to the gas pedal.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 06-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
So I'm going up this rather steep hill and had to stop for a light. Perfect time to test the break assist feature. So I push the break pedal all the way down and release. Car was held for about 2-3 seconds and then started rolling back. I try again push and release break pedal, car stays for about 2-3 seconds and starts rolling back. It seems as if the breaks hold the car for a bit but then release for some reason after a few seconds. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to see my dealer?

This feature seemed to work on smaller hills, but my fiance says she experienced the same thing I did recently on a regular hill.
Brake assist, or a Hill holding capability, generally is designed to only work for a few seconds; not for an extended period of time. It is only there to keep the car from rolling back while you transition your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. If you are on a stuck on a hill for an extended period of time; well that's what the brake pedal's for! lol

Bish
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
I will do a test with my wife's new BMW X5 autocatic and report, but I think feature is to hold car for short transition from foot on brake to gas and rpm up, without roll back, not a complete replacement of foot brake on hill.

Maybe I have the wrong concept for brake assist.

Doesn't the owners manual cover this stuff? I could not find details in online manual.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Ok that all makes sense. The reason for my thinking was that when I drove E-Class in europe the breaks would hold the car as long as needed (little icon would also come up on the multi display showing a break pedal or something like that). I thought all MB's have this feature.

I checked the manual but could find it quickly so figured I'd post here. Thanks for clearing this up.

EDIT: You guys are correct (page 164 of the manual). The hill assist is designed to hold the car just for a second while you moving your foot to the gas pedal.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 06-02-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by thebishman
Brake assist, or a Hill holding capability, generally is designed to only work for a few seconds; not for an extended period of time. It is only there to keep the car from rolling back while you transition your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. If you are on a stuck on a hill for an extended period of time; well that's what the brake pedal's for! lol