GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

A question about the comfort mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
A question about the comfort mode

The salesperson who sold me the GLK said in comfort mode, the car would start at second gear. But after driving it for a week, my feeling is that it seems to start at the first gear but upshifts more sooner. I used to driving manaul shift in my previous cars. If I started my car in second gear, the car would be very powerless unitl it went beyond 3000 rpm. Also, when I nudge the gear shift to the left at stand still, it goes to D1 automatically. So, my own conclusion is that even in comfort mode, it still starts moving in first gear, and the salesperson is wrong. What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
He's correct. Even in "S" it'll start in 2nd gear unless the RPM exceeds a certain speed (IIRC it's from 3-4K).
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I don't think so, read in multiple sources that it always starts in 1st in "S" and it sure feels that way. Even when I don't push it hard, rmps just too quickly and it ****s again (into 2nd).

In C it starts in 2nd unless you floor it. Billyt you have to remember that gearing can be different, 1st gear on GLK is very short and 2nd gear is more like first gear on most other cars. Also keep in mind that GLK has 100% of torque at 2k rmp, which also helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by billyt
The salesperson who sold me the GLK said in comfort mode, the car would start at second gear. But after driving it for a week, my feeling is that it seems to start at the first gear but upshifts more sooner. I used to driving manaul shift in my previous cars. If I started my car in second gear, the car would be very powerless unitl it went beyond 3000 rpm. Also, when I nudge the gear shift to the left at stand still, it goes to D1 automatically. So, my own conclusion is that even in comfort mode, it still starts moving in first gear, and the salesperson is wrong. What do you guys think?
Not sure what car you had before. I have a stick G35 Coupe and in that if I start in 2nd it quickly revs up. As mentioned above the GLK has TRQ available at 2K so you might feel the quick boost.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM

528i, GLK
S mode starts in 1st

From the manual:

Drive program S is characterised by the following:

sporty engine and suspension configuration

the vehicle pulling away in first gear

the automatic transmission shifting up later

the late shift point of the automatic transmission can lead to higher fuel consumption