Decision time...what options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 2DR Coupe
Decision time...what options?

I just placed an order for a GLK!

Here's my dilemma, I am already getting the Xenon's and the Sport packages, however, I need decide whether to go for:

a) Premium Package - $3,500 CDN
OR
b) COMAND Navi and Harman/Kardon - $2,800 CDN

I am heading to the dealership on Friday to finalize the order so I need to make up my mind quickly. Your feedback is most appreciated.

A or B? A and B is a no go...

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 PM

GLK350
I have both premium and navi and I can say they are both well worth the money. The sunroof is very nice, so is the power tailgate. My last car had navi and I cannot drive without it. The navi 7" LCD is also way better than the standard 5".

If I were to pick, I would pick navi. I cannot drive without it and cannot stand the "smallness" of the standard 5" LCD.

I guess it depends which one you would more likely to use and enjoy: navi to get around town, or open the sunroof to enjoy the sunshine
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
go with "b". the h/k system sounds amazing!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM

GLK 350
Between the two I would choose Navi and HK. It all depends but we loved the Premium Package as well. It all depends on your priority, and what you will use more. But if I had to choose one I would do B

Last edited by Baby G; 07-01-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
One of the things that I do like about the Premium package, and I have heard some others on the forum mention this as well, is that with the Arctic White GLK, the Panoramic sunroof looks not only good from the inside but also from the outside with the contrasting white and black (panoramic roof), instead of just having a plain white roof of the car...then you toss in the aluminum roof rails and it looks really really good.

That being said, I am leaning towards the sound + navi combo...I have read on here that the Logic7 systems kicks *** and I do like my music I'd get the media interface as well...

Last edited by zelko; 07-02-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:07 AM

GLK 350 4matic
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class/303172-canadian-glk-package-review.html
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 AM

GLK 4Matic
Just get them both. The price over the long run is minimal and you will be happy. If not, go for B.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 AM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
for me,the 3500 u pay is to get the sunroof, I will definitely go with b, since this is what i have chosen!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
You've got a big decision to make and I believe it comes down to how much do you like music? My step brother has the HK system in his GLK and it sounds great, couple that with navigation and you've got an unbeatable combination. Now, no one has asked but are you leasing the vehicle or financing? Reason being is that shouldn't you be able to residualize the premium package and the HK/Command system and come out ahead.

Also, how long do you plan to keep the vehicle and how many miles do you commute weekly. Music sounds alot better than a sunroof if you can only get one. Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
I would seriously consider option A(Premium PKG) if you are married for the following reasons.
- Memory Seat for Driver & Passenger seat: I switch cars with my wife and it’s very convenient.
- Parktronic: I have a small garage and I need to park really close in order to open the tailgate.
- Power tailgate: The tailgate was too heavy for my wife to close manually.

And of course the Panoramic sunroof, it looks so good from inside and out(especially white exterior)

For the record, I got option A(Premium PKG) with HK sound only (No Command NAV) in White.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Canadian GLK package review Try to put down some of my opinions in case it can be helpful to other GLK buyers.

1. Premium package. (score 5/5)
This includes:
a. 10 way memory seat with memory steering wheel position and mirror position. This is must-to-have function if you have more than 1 driver for the car.
b. Power trunk door. Very useful.
c. Pano roof. Must have.
d. Parktronics. Nice to have, but individually dependent.
e. Heated seat. For Canada or Northern states, a must.
f. Garage door opener. Nice to have. However I haven't figured out how to program my old garage door.
g. Compass. nice to have. but if you have navigation, then not necessary.

2. Bi-xenon package. (score 5/5)
Very useful. Good safety feature. It comes much more than just 4 Xenon bulbs. Comparing to spending $400 for aftermarket Xenon, this $1000 package gives you better value.

3. Navigation System. (Score 4.5/5)
a. 6 disc DVD player. Cool function, makes your waiting time fly.
b. Voice control. Nice function. I even change FM radio frequency with it.
c. Navigation. Need a little getting use to from a Garmin user. Street name display only in the last zoom-in view and is too small. POI works great. Accuracy good.
d. PCMCIA input, very good to have especially if you don't have MMI package.
e. 7" LCD instead of 5" standard. 7" looks more proportional in the car.

4. Rear view camera. (Score 3.5/5)
Nice to have for a SUV, especially you have little kids in the neighborhood. The macro lens will give you some distortion. No perspective lines in the screen to show where your tire will hit, as in other cars.

5. MMI package. (Score 3.5/5)
It gives you 3 cables to connect either ipod, USB drive or Aux input. Aux input is standard if you don't buy this package. I only used USB so far, works great. However, I could have used just PCMCIA card from Navigation package to achieve the same thing. You can find other ipod users review for this in other threads. Another reason I chose it is for future upgrade and connectivity like TV tuner, which may or may not work with MMI. So my coclusion is: If you have the navigation package and you don't have ipod, you may not need it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
I would go for "A" and NAVI.

Frankly, if sunroof (not panorama roof) was standard option in GLK then definately, i would go with "B" and lighting package.

But sunroof was not in standard opts.

So I went with A and navi.

If you want sunroof+ panorama roof then you go with A pack.
If you don't need it then go for B.

I chose them both without H.K and all other options
Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM

GLK 350 4matic
I would add both. Your A and B are 7% and 5% extra cost on top of your car. You will definitely get more than 7% and 5% value, convenience and drive quality. If you really had to choose one, then you have to see whats your priority. Read my review. But no body can chose on your behalf. I didn't get HK as its lower in the list to me.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
After reading all of the comments, and thanks to all btw, I am now considering the Premium + Sound package...instead of COMAND + Sound....I have a 3 year old and I think he would really like to be able to look outside through the panoramic roof..also looks wise it is a pretty sweet setup...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63s
choose A if you don't really mind on the sound quality.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by zelko
After reading all of the comments, and thanks to all btw, I am now considering the Premium + Sound package...instead of COMAND + Sound....I have a 3 year old and I think he would really like to be able to look outside through the panoramic roof..also looks wise it is a pretty sweet setup...
Zelko,

If Premium+command can be another option, I would go for that. The 7" LCD with DVD will make the car another family room with you kid. As for HK without command, I am not so fond about that.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Okay, here is GLK owner with HK sound system without Command NAV. I have made my case before in other thread as to why I didn’t buy the Command NAV so I won’t repeat.

I personally think HK sound system is worth it ($1,000CDN), if you are the kind of person who appreciates the premium sound system and majority of buyer do not. The dealership that I bought it from mentioned that most of GLK with HK sound system is custom order, meaning if you want one you probably won’t find one on the dealer lot.

For your info, standard system is 100 watt 8 speaker system VS 600 watt 11 speakers for HK sound system. You can’t compare the sound quality, not because of number of speaker but quality of speaker is not the same.

Interestingly, there is C-class forum member who has upgraded the standard Audio 20 speaker to H/K speaker with step by step instruction with picture. You can check out the difference. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rofit-how.html

By the way, like most build-in NAV these days, you can not watch DVD while the car is in motion.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
e430 thanks...I think in the end I will get more use out of the premium package bits than the COMAND system..I don't have a navi system in my current Chrysler 300c, so its not like I am going to miss anything anyway...and the smaller 5" screen won't be an issue either, it's actaully an upgrade over what I have now.

I also don't think I'll be losing anything if I just go with the H/K + Premium...
Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
You are welcome Zelko.

One more piece of advice, start saving some money for the Winter Rim/Tire package, because those 20” will not work in the Canadian Winter (for me at least). I guess you probably know better if you are driving Chrysler 300c.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
Tell me about it, the 300c without winters is a disaster!

I will definitely be getting winters for the GLK, I've been reading that 17's are the best option...we can start up that thread in about 2 months time...lol
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 PM

GLK 350
Tell me about it, the 300c without winters is a disaster!

I will definitely be getting winters for the GLK, I've been reading that 17's are the best option...we can start up that thread in about 2 months time...lol
Try a G Coupe with the stock 19's low profile.. hehehe

joking: bet its the same... We should start a Winter Tire package closer to end of August and see if we get a group buy going what its going to cost us.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
Originally Posted by Baby G
Try a G Coupe with the stock 19's low profile.. hehehe

joking: bet its the same... We should start a Winter Tire package closer to end of August and see if we get a group buy going what its going to cost us.
Agreed! Enough of the winter tire talk...although with the weather we have been having in Toronto recently winter doesn't feel that far off...

So the order went in tonight...GLK in White, with the Premium, Bi-Xenon, Sport (w/Aluminum roof rails), and H/K sound packages. I should have production details in the next few days I hope. But I am thinking early September delivery. The wait is on...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM

GLK 350
Agreed! Enough of the winter tire talk...although with the weather we have been having in Toronto recently winter doesn't feel that far off...

So the order went in tonight...GLK in White, with the Premium, Bi-Xenon, Sport (w/Aluminum roof rails), and H/K sound packages. I should have production details in the next few days I hope. But I am thinking early September delivery. The wait is on...
Congrats again, the wait is painful, but if its september delivery thats not to bad... 3 more wks here...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM

C35 OMG
A is more for luxury and enjoyment, B is more USEFUL. I'd choose B over A.