GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

COMAND Navigation Software in China

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4Matic
COMAND Navigation Software in China

Anyone have any news on when the Navigation Software is going to be available in China? I've had my GLK since March 2009 with no signs of MB having finished developing the GPS software for the Chinese market as yet. Rather depressing knowing that some four months after purchasing, inclusive of the Navi hardware and pre-wiring, I'm still relying on road maps. Brings a whole 'nother meaning to exploring when you can barely read Chinese! I'm tempted to go buy a Garmin GPS at Best Buy Shanghai, but no doubt I'll get an update notice the next day from my dealership, telling me the software is ready...
Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 AM

GLK 350 4Matic
Just been contacted by my dealer in Shanghai - apparently the Navi software is now available for the GLK - at a whopping huge price of RMB25,000 (USD 3,660)...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
Not sure who you are in our Autohome Forum ? but anyway hope you can read the following ( A message send to our Friend GLK Rider):

YES ! We know they are offering a GPS "Hardware + Software" for GLK which is an effort after we pushed them !! But if you know this system, you won't agree to install this sytem !!

It is a Panasonic GPS System which is regonized by Mercedes. Instead of using the original preinstalled GPS System in the GLK. You are putting in another piece of device into your GLK. The only thing you can use in your GLK is the Display Screen of the COMAND system. You have to use a REMOTE CONTROL to operate the GPS System. None of the button on the COMAND panel can be used. So do you think this is right thing to install this DUMB system into your MERCEDES ? Thats why we are fighting for the Rights of GLK Owner's here in China. You all can enjoy the GPS / NAVI of Mercedes and being a China GLK Owner we have to use this DUMB system !!

This sytem had been introduced in the Earlier S Class model and C Class Series as well.

As per my finding, MB China Marketing never started the China MAP for GLK since it start importing into China early this year. It is the Job of the Local MB office to develop the MAP for the Imported Mercedes. Our Members had decode the COMAND system and it shows the GPS is inside but just deactivtaed. Once the MAP has been developed , it should be easy to activate the NAVI system in the GLK.

MB is trying to make money out of asking you to install the PANASONIC system which is a easy solution to them but not fair to GLK Owners !
As of today, Mercedes China is not facing us at all regarding this issue
In fact, I have read the link before but really don't think it is the solution to us ! Thank you !

We are going to Keep fighting for our Rights !!

May be you can post this into your Forums over there and let more people to know how MB is treating Chinese GLK Owners.

May I wish you a Happy New Year !!

Cheers

Hope you can join us by wrting to Mercedes China as per our instruction in our Forum.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
Thumbs down China Navi Software Disappointment

Sounds crap! For the volume of sales that we in China have contributed to MB sales globally, this is well and truly a pathetic response from them. I understand the bureaucracy behind enabling any form of GPS system in China, but Benz should have been ahead of the game, not playing catch-up. My further inquiries with the dealer effectively had him recommend NOT to install the current Navi offer which you're talking about. He mumbled something about a better system coming next year (?) but I will believe it when I see it.

Shame on you Benz China. Even a basic Shanghai-built GM GL8 minivan (known as the Chevy Uplander in N. America) has had a built-in satnav available in China for what I am guessing is at least 5 years already...

Thanks for forwarding the details from GLK Rider. I'd love to join the China Autohome Forum, but unfortunately I can't read Chinese well and my only means to contribute is thru a clumsy attempt via Google Translate! : )

Hopefully someone at Mercedes Global is monitoring these forums and will give a kick up the **** to the development team covering China, so we can all get the most out of our GLKs.

Happy New Year to all you GLK fans.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
We are fighting !!! We are sending letters individually to Mercedes China and should be there by Jan 5-6. We are sending to the Top of Mercedes China Mr. Klaus Maier with c.c. to Dr. Dieter Zetsche who is in Germany.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM

S550
MB china SUCKKKKKKKKS
Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
This is an acticle which was posted in the Mercedes Benz Web Site of Germany dated Oct. 15, 2009 :

Mercedes-Benz will in future offer a fully integrated navigation system - called 'Navigation 20' - for its standard Audio 20 CD high-performance radio. The new device is based on highly sophisticated technology and offers numerous navigation features - including variable map displays, a realistic display of the roadscape at motorway exits, TMC traffic reports and comprehensive country-specific information. It is also equipped with connections for most audio sources. Navigation 20 can simply be installed into the Audio 20 CD at any Mercedes-Benz service partner.
The tried-and-trusted Audio 20 radio retains its full range of functions: it features a CD player (with MP3 capability), an FM/MW/SW and LW tuner with automatic station search, an RDS function (for FM reception), direct frequency input using the buttons on the centre console and a 4x20-watt amplifier. Navigation 20 is a fully-integrated plug & play solution, which adds various features to the Audio 20. The newly added map-based navigation can be viewed on the large, fixed colour display (4.9 inches in the C-Class). In addition to this, arrows on the instrument cluster indicate the navigation instructions. There is a choice of display modes: 2D North-up, 2D Track-up or 3D Track-up. The 3D map can be tilted in three stages using the controller. Plus Navigation 20 includes Reality View PRO with a realistic depiction of the roadscape – including road signs, clear indication of motorway intersections and exits, and lane recommendations. TMC traffic-congestion reports are taken into account when calculating routes.
Detailed maps of 43 European countries are included. When crossing national borders, key information about the traffic regulations in force in the country concerned - such as speed limits, drink-driving limits, compulsory use of daytime driving lights, and obligations to carry ID or other documents - can be called up.
What's more, the high-performance entertainment system allows the connection of almost all audio devices such as an iPod, MP3 player or USBstick. And it is configured for audio streaming via Bluetooth. The system is utilised safely and ergonomically via the controller in the centre console.
The new Navigation 20 system is available now for the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and GLK-Class. It will also be offered for the E-Class from mid-2010 onwards. It can simply be integrated in the vehicle at the Mercedes-Benz service partner. Price: € 1099 incl. VAT plus installation.

That means the System exists and it is the matter of Mercedes China whether they are doing it or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
From speaking to a sales manager at Porsche China, apparently they have the exact same problem. The issue is, the import models that come into China are inherently designed with a Latin-based interface, whilst Chinese customers require a dual-language interface with software that is inherently Chinese-character-based. Combine that with the fact that the Chinese government will not allow altitude information to be coded into the GPS software, and you have a LOT of hurdles to get thru before having a workable, integrated, dual-language Navi system in an import car in China. Apparently Porsche China, like Benz China, use the same substitute Panasonic system to deal with the problem while they work thru it... this is the system described above, if I'm not mistaken...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
Good Morning ! Tks for your info and actually I have this same sort of explaination from my friends here in MB China couple months ago but I think it would be nice that someone from Mercedes China can officially come out and explain the real fact to the Onwers.

It is also strange why the E Class and S Class were installed with NAVI system when they arrived in China. My New E Coupe E350 was installed with NAVI when it arrive few months ago . I knew the COMAND system could be different model on our GLK which I can tell by the Panel but with Mercedes's ability think it should be easy for them to do something.......

By the way, you are welcome to join our Forum and we have members that who can communicate with members in English as well. I would not say we are the BEST GLK Forum in China but I can surely say we are among one of the BEST !

Look forward to see you in our Forum.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

glk
Good to know another Shanghai driver...i really miss the hometown.

BTW, i dun't think these MBs will have full Chinese integration to the GPS if they are not assembled in China. Dad just put down another order for his company, a E300 fully loaded. If you want to get the car this Feb, the car is from Germany and everything is in English. If you choose to wait till June, the car is re-assembled in China and all language is translated.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
Tks for you reply !! My new E Coupe E350 which just arrived 2 months ago has Chinese GPS installed. Thats why we are fighting ..........

To my finding, it is Mercedes Benz China didn't start the job for C and GLK class in China for some reason.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

glk
i dun't know about E coupe...but E sedan for sure do not have Chinese Navi if it's from Germany...

BTW, E sedan assembled in China are all L versions stand for longer wheelbase...however, it's the same price with the one shipping directly from Germany.

every manufacture have L versions now...5er...A6...S...7er...etc...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

glk
in Shanghai, E sedan starts arriving by this month.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 AM
MyB

GLK350 , E Coupe E350
GLK Navi system is ready and should announce very soon !!

The latest updates of GLK MB Navi System development progress in China .......>>>> It is ready and just waiting for Announcement by MB China.
Less than a month to go.

Finally we got it !!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM

C250 Coupe
Hi Everyone. For those that has the China map in the Comand, can you please check if Macau map is part of China map package?