GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

I need owner reviews of the GLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
I need owner reviews of the GLK350

What do you guys think so far of your GLK?
Was it worth it?
Any options that are a must for this car?

What do you like/don't like about the car?

I'm going in to buy a 2014 GLK next weekend.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:27 PM

2013 GLK250BT
GLK

Andrew,

Although I have a 250BT, I wish I'd opted for the lighting package. These old eyes really could use the better lights.

There are several threads about likes/dislikes, much too comprehensive to summarize in a reply. Just search (I would attach the threads, but I don't know how.)

You may get more responses if you specify what options you are considering to get an "are they worth it" opinion.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM

None
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Andrew,

Although I have a 250BT, I wish I'd opted for the lighting package. These old eyes really could use the better lights.

There are several threads about likes/dislikes, much too comprehensive to summarize in a reply. Just search (I would attach the threads, but I don't know how.)

You may get more responses if you specify what options you are considering to get an "are they worth it" opinion.
The only options I am getting as of now are the Becker Pilot Navigation and the Heated Seats.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350
My list of must have options:

Lighting Package
P1 Package
Heated Seats
Multimedia Package
HK Sound

Everything else like Appearance is just extra fluff.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by andrewt1993
The only options I am getting as of now are the Becker Pilot Navigation and the Heated Seats.
The becker sometimes gives weird (still correct) routes. It does have very strong navigation
- read road names in advance and quite timely
- integrates into the speedo a little so dont have to keep staring at the nav

The GLK is a good car but not a good value for a 'luxury' car as leather, xenon, keyless are not standard options. The GLK diesel however is a good 'value' as its the only diesel small SUV other than the Q5 which is almost 10k more.

"Personally" even after owning the 250 for 3 months, I would not have bought the GLK350 if the diesel was not available main reasons
- poor gas mileage
- not a good luxury value
- looks still decisive, looks awesome from the front, but...

do like:
solid feel
interior looks nice
safe, feels very safe.

Last edited by bugelrex; 10-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 PM

None
Originally Posted by bugelrex
The becker sometimes gives weird (still correct) routes. It does have very strong navigation

The GLK is a good car but not a good value for a 'luxury' car as leather, xenon, keyless are not standard options. The GLK diesel however is a good 'value' as its the only diesel small SUV other than the Q5 which is almost 10k more.

"Personally" even after owning the 250 for 3 months, I would not have bought the GLK350 if the diesel was not available main reasons
- poor gas mileage

do like:
solid feel
interior looks nice
safe, feels very safe.
Gas mileage is that bad? Even for a car like this? I am coming from a 2011 Scion Tc that only averaged 20.7 miles per gallon.

As long as it is comfortable and safe.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 PM

None
Originally Posted by mbforlife86
My list of must have options:

Lighting Package
P1 Package
Heated Seats
Multimedia Package
HK Sound

Everything else like Appearance is just extra fluff.
By lighting package, you mean the bixenon lights right?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Lighting

Andrew,

Yes, my reference to the lighting package includes the xenon lights with curve control (or whatever they call it.) You may be interested that the package for 2014 no longer includes the headlamp washers.

If you averaged 20mpg with a Scion, keep in mind that you are probably going to average near the city rating of the 350, not sure what that number is. Also, you will need to figure in premium fuel. (I don't know if the Scion requires premium, but the GLK350 does.)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the GLK350 is not a particularly attractive value for the size/economy/luxury. (It's just my opinion, don't hate me (GLK350 owners).

The GLK250BT, on the other hand is a class of one, so it's difficult to gauge its value. I agree with the above, if not for the diesel engine, I simply would NOT have even considered a GLK. (again, don't hate) I have yet to average less than 35mpg for any tank (in 8k miles), so that's where the value is for me. 4-cyl. diesel + AWD + CUV = GLK250BT (for me).

Also, you may wish to check your insurance cost. I have a good record, so I only saw a very slight increase-approx. $100/yr. If it's not so good, you may be shocked at the insurance cost. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a GLK, just know for sure what to expect before you make the leap.

Mine is optioned just like you mentioned-heated seats and Becker Map Pilot. I specifically did not want a sunroof (so no P1), standard audio is fine with me, also. The standard headlights are fair, but pale in comparison to the xenon lights.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Back to some basics here ...

1) German built - rock solid reliability
2) Great RWD performance, and award winning all-time-all-wheel-drive Mercedes 4matic if you choose to go that route - which way are you going to go RWD or AWD 4matic ?
3) Cabin - great headroom and cabin comfort for compact SUV
4) Cabin visibility great for both front and 2nd row
5) the GLK350 has a 302hp V6 - it's NOT poopy, check the speedo on the highway

The GLK250BT is the "rarer" GLK in fairly limited production #'s - all with 4matic as standard - yes great fuel economy - but RWD GLK350's with basic equipment can be had $40 or less depending on equip.

Your "search" is based on what is on the lot - or what is already on the way to that dealer - too late in the year for a custom-build-order to be done and arrive from Germany before the end of the year.

Keep the beat !
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
The 2014 GLK250 has a problem with the Adblue system that MB have not yet resolved. Many see an error that comes up that will prevent car from being used after say 10 more starts. They will eventually resolve this, but I wouldn't accept car with this known problem.

GLK250 has no spare. It comes with 4 MOExtended tires. These are good for 20miles if run flat. Not true run flats. The tires are MB specific, so no chance of getting a replacement tire in most locations. They would have to be shipped in. 2-3 days trip delay at best.

Otherwise seems like great vehicle
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually, Extended Mobility tires are not MB specific, Extended Mobility is a new class of tire developed by the German tire industry - as compared to "Run Flats" to address the following specific issues: better ride using honeycombed structural sidewalls as compared to rigid sidewalls of RunFlats, lower cost than RunFlats, longer usable life than RunFlats, intended for Temporary Extended Mobilty as defined by DOT of up to 50 miles at low speed riding on a built in "disc" similar to usage of a donut emergency tire.

Yes - MB dealer parts departments are not "monitored" or "required" to insure they have replacements in stock - and smart MB dealers do make sure they do.

Extended Mobility tires are standard now in several Maserati and Ferrari models in Eagle models due to lack of room for a spare.

In Euro - Extended Mobility tires are now a sustainability statement to eliminate the 95%+ unused spare tires shipped in Euro's mind unnecessarily in new cars.

I am not saying I sign off on the perspective - but the good news is this - in both the GLK250 and the new CLA's - Extended Mobility "feels" fine - much/much better than old tech RunFlats - only time will tell on useable life.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 AM

None
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Andrew,

Yes, my reference to the lighting package includes the xenon lights with curve control (or whatever they call it.) You may be interested that the package for 2014 no longer includes the headlamp washers.

If you averaged 20mpg with a Scion, keep in mind that you are probably going to average near the city rating of the 350, not sure what that number is. Also, you will need to figure in premium fuel. (I don't know if the Scion requires premium, but the GLK350 does.)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the GLK350 is not a particularly attractive value for the size/economy/luxury. (It's just my opinion, don't hate me (GLK350 owners).

The GLK250BT, on the other hand is a class of one, so it's difficult to gauge its value. I agree with the above, if not for the diesel engine, I simply would NOT have even considered a GLK. (again, don't hate) I have yet to average less than 35mpg for any tank (in 8k miles), so that's where the value is for me. 4-cyl. diesel + AWD + CUV = GLK250BT (for me).

Also, you may wish to check your insurance cost. I have a good record, so I only saw a very slight increase-approx. $100/yr. If it's not so good, you may be shocked at the insurance cost. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a GLK, just know for sure what to expect before you make the leap.

Mine is optioned just like you mentioned-heated seats and Becker Map Pilot. I specifically did not want a sunroof (so no P1), standard audio is fine with me, also. The standard headlights are fair, but pale in comparison to the xenon lights.
My insurance premium actually decreased by 19 dollars. So I actually save money by buying this car lol
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 AM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
I love my GLK and enjoy it everyday i wouldnt have chosen a different car. The options i think is important is the lighting package which is a must, it makes the car look so much better. It is reliable and comfortable to drive, the size of the car is perfect not too big and not too small. The truck size is modest and fits everything i need. The option i might have missed out on was the parktronic, it makes life easier. I have MBtex (black) for my interior and its very good, i can wipe and clean anything easily! If how the car looks is important get the AMG sport package it makes a major difference. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE

- poor gas mileage

do like:
solid feel
interior looks nice
safe, feels very safe.
I am guessing that is why they make both. Had the diesel been the only option, I would not have bought the GLK. I much prefer the power and performance of the 350. I prefer driving it to my 2012 E unless on a long road trip.

From a price perspective, I bought a '13 the first week they were out. It has the P1 package, heated seats, keyless entry, and the Becker system. I paid less than $38,000 so I consider it to be a "good luxury value" when comparing product to product.

I have driven it 9,000 miles in the past year plus, averaging around 18 mpg. in town and around 23 mpg. on the road. It does require premium fuel but in my area that is less than diesel or very close. I have not done the math but can't imagine I have spent more than a couple of hundred dollars in fuel in 9,000 miles by owning the gas version. Had that been a concern, I would have bought the Hyundai and saved thousands upfront.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Actually, Extended Mobility tires are not MB specific,
What I said was

"GLK250 has no spare. It comes with 4 MOExtended tires. These are good for 20miles if run flat. Not true run flats. The tires are MB specific,"

This is what Tire Rack says and my dealer told me the same thing. MOE on sidewall means Mercedes specific:

Tires branded with MOExtended or MOE on their sidewalls identify them as being specifically tuned for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The Extended portion of the name identifies they feature run-flat-like tire characteristics by offering temporary extended mobility. However since they don’t meet all of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) run-flat tire operating limits under all permitted vehicle loads, they cannot be branded as run-flat tires.

Mercedes-Benz vehicles traditionally provide high levels of comfort, which makes it challenging for chassis engineers to add traditional run-flat tires without experiencing some sacrifices in ride comfort. Mercedes-Benz believes much of the undesirable ride firmness is directly associated with traditional self-supporting run-flat tires, so they collaborated with several tire manufacturers to develop lighter-duty temporary extended mobility tires that are designed to increase trunk space and provide a location for the BlueTEC diesel urea tank while enhancing vehicle fuel economy and everyday ride comfort.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=234

Another on-line source says:

After the "snowflake" icon, you should notice some more letters: These letters or a symbol indicate that this is the auto maker-specified version of a tire that came as a car's original equipment. These tires can often be a very different blend of rubber compound compared with the off-the-shelf variety of the same tire even though the tread pattern is identical. Examples of OE markings include: General Motors - all have a TPC SPEC number; BMW - most have a five-pointed-star symbol; Mercedes-some are emblazoned with "MO"; Porsche - all have the letter "N" followed by a number, i.e., N1, N2, etc.
From GLK Intercative manual:

For safety reasons, Mercedes-Benz recommends that you only use tyres and wheels which have been approved by Mercedes-Benz specifically for your vehicle.

These are specially adapted to the control systems, such as ABS or ESP® and are marked as follows:

MO = Mercedes-Benz Original

MOE = Mercedes-Benz Original Extended (tyres featuring run-flat characteristics)

MO1 = Mercedes-Benz Original (only certain AMG tyres)

Mercedes-Benz Original Extended tyres may only be used on wheels that have been specifically approved by Mercedes-Benz.

Who should we believe??

Last edited by 107123210; 10-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Well, I considered nearly all of them to be must-haves. Unless you want a $60k GLK, don't listen to me.

I would not have bought the GLK350 if the diesel was not available
Same for me. I was going to buy an ML, actually, until the GLK250 came out.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM

glk 250 buletec
proud glk 250 bluetec

lighting package. i regret for not opting it.
I choose the becker map pilot and it serves OK (not the greatest but still can live with it).
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM

2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
It would be nice if the op stated his/her location. US and Canadian version have slightly different packages and options available. The Canadian 2014 GLK 350 are all 4matic with AMG styling package except for the AMG wheels and 20 inch rims as standard.

Diesel vs. Gasser, is another aspect to consider. Depending on how you intend to use the GLK a diesel version may have an advantage if fuel mileage is important. However if you only use the GLK for a 5 to 10 minute run here and there, there is really no advantage for a diesel.

Diesel fuel economy is a achieved on long highway runs. The engine has to hit the optimal temperature (90 degree C) to be efficient. It does however take time for the engine to warm up. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to warm up under load (being driven) and longer on colder days. You really need to get the turbo going to max on the air to fuel ratio. On higher altitude places a little more challenging as the air is thinner. In calculating your fuel savings, you also need to consider the extra cost of ad-blue service and fuel filter replacement.

The 2014 GLK 350 is month old now and we have been very happy with it. This is my wife's daily driver and she does mainly do short trips here and there. This is the main reason why the GLK 250 was not even considered.

Other reason why 250 was not considered:
putting gas - this could shorten the life of HPFP (high pressure fuel pump). It uses the fuel to lubricate it's parts. Gas is not a lubricant.
ad-blue / fuel filter service - will eat up on the fuel savings.
no spare tire.
not sure how durable the diesel particulate filter, HPFP and the exhaust treatment components are.

Last edited by mflores342; 10-27-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM

None
Originally Posted by mflores342
It would be nice if the op stated his/her location. US and Canadian version have slightly different packages and options available. The Canadian 2014 GLK 350 are all 4matic with AMG styling package except for the AMG wheels and 20 inch rims as standard.

Diesel vs. Gasser, is another aspect to consider. Depending on how you intend to use the GLK a diesel version may have an advantage if fuel mileage is important. However if you only use the GLK for a 5 to 10 minute run here and there, there is really no advantage for a diesel.

Diesel fuel economy is a achieved on long highway runs. The engine has to hit the optimal temperature (90 degree C) to be efficient. It does however take time for the engine to warm up. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to warm up under load (being driven) and longer on colder days. You really need to get the turbo going to max on the air to fuel ratio. On higher altitude places a little more challenging as the air is thinner. In calculating your fuel savings, you also need to consider the extra cost of ad-blue service and fuel filter replacement.

The 2014 GLK 350 is month old now and we have been very happy with it. This is my wife's daily driver and she does mainly do short trips here and there. This is the main reason why the GLK 250 was not even considered.

Other reason why 250 was not considered:
putting gas - this could shorten the life of HPFP (high pressure fuel pump). It uses the fuel to lubricate it's parts. Gas is not a lubricant.
ad-blue / fuel filter service - will eat up on the fuel savings.
no spare tire.
not sure how durable the diesel particulate filter, HPFP and the exhaust treatment components are.
Oh I'm in Florida. I'm not buying the Diesel version. Diesel costs about 0.60 cents more per gallon than premium where I live.

I'll actually be driving roughly 300 miles per week
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM

2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
After owning the GLK350 for a month, as stated earlier, we are very pleased. I am very surprised on how the start/stop works seamlessly that I could barely notice it. It is very smooth. I have a Canadian spec version with premium, command navigation, bi-xenon headlamps, and driving assistance.
My daughter calls the car 'touchy' as when a car moves in the blind spot the triangle lamps in the side view mirrors illuminate red. Front and rear sensors can be annoying specially in a drive thru when the car behind gets to close or you get to close to the car in front. I love the 360 degree camera specially maneuvering in tight places. Other than that, only time will tell how well this car holds up. I got confirmation that the next generation (X205) will be bigger. Not sure about pricing, but options will be in the ML category. I am getting long in the tooth to drive a BMW, I may consider trading it in for the X205 depending on how well the X204 holds up in the coming years.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by mflores342
It would be nice if the op stated his/her location.
I'm constantly looking over to the left to see where someone is from when they say something or ask a question that might be market specific. It makes it hard to talk about something when the location is empty. I really wish more people would list at least a country.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
What do you guys think so far of your GLK?
Was it worth it?
What do you like/don't like about the car?
We've owned our 2012 GLK 350 4-matic for 20 months and 20,000 miles now and we're very happy with it. Best vehicle we've ever owned, but then, this is our first Benz.

Our GLK is pretty well equipped, including heated seats, something I never considered in the past simply because I thought they were for folks who lived in frozen climates. I must say the the heat is very relaxing during long days in the saddle, even when driving through hot desert country with the AC on. I love the satellite radio and GPS - use it frequently, not to mention the built-in WiFi connection to my cellphone. Hands off, just awesome and easy to use. Road manners are very good with low noise and predictable handling. Good power, too.

Fuel mileage? Consistently better than advertised. Observed 24+ MPG during a 4200 mile road trip last summer which included a lot of poking around the city driving. Our combined city/highway MPG is always well above 20 MPG.

Tires are wearing smooth and straight with no unusual noise. Memory driver seat, mirrors and steering wheel are well worth the added cost, as is the power lift hatch.

In summary, I'd buy another one in a heart beat. In fact, I'm considering an SLK 350 to join our GLK in the garage.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM

GLK350 4MATIC, X5 4.8i, C6 GS, FJ Cruiser 4X4
Like:
Solid drive feel, interior finish, super quiet on freeway driving

Dont like:
Shifter on steering column