GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Winter Goodies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
MB Owner, the only thing, price of 19s winter tires might be as much as 17 inch rim w/ 17 inch tire. Also you have to go to tire shop to mount and balance the tires twice a year (that's 50-100 bux in US each time) vs. just swapping wheels yourself when you have two rim/tire sets.

Lastly, keep in mind it's not good for tires to be put on and taken off of the rim several times (it stretches the tire).
Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugos only
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
MB Owner, the only thing, price of 19s winter tires might be as much as 17 inch rim w/ 17 inch tire. Also you have to go to tire shop to mount and balance the tires twice a year (that's 50-100 bux in US each time) vs. just swapping wheels yourself when you have two rim/tire sets.

Lastly, keep in mind it's not good for tires to be put on and taken off of the rim several times (it stretches the tire).
Correct ,but as long as the tire is well-lubricated and stored this should not be a problem unless it exceeds the stress limits of the tire. That's why I buy reinforced or severe service tires.

Someone should construct a spreadsheet of the cost benefit analysis of switching tires on a single set of rims versus purchasing new rims. What does your local tire retailer offer as a package that includes remounting and balancing.? Remember the typical tire life is 4 -6 years due to interior dry rot. How flexible is the retailer to tailor a package for your needs??

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant to slow down the rust that never sleeps - it works much better than your over-advertised liquid clearsil tire treatments IMHIO.

I was a patient lurker and bought a set of used AUTHENTIC AMG rims with the PROPER offset for my CL55 at an bargain price. They just needed a proper interior cleaning plus some cosmetics including waxes and other unguents.

My restoration guy uses hydrochloric and sulphuric acid to take out the old crap accumulating in the interior of the wheels but he has a crew that does the job right or they are looking for a Gecko job.

So use it at your peril! Rinse thoroughly!

Last edited by ivanj; 09-20-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
As many miles as we drive every ski year, I actually don't get more than one season's use out of a set of winter tires. The winter rubber compound wears pretty fast on dry pavement at autobahn speeds. But when you need those winter tires in the mountain passes or on the smaller roads to the best lifts, you really need 'em. So a new set every fall is just part of the cost of doing business.

But thanks for your thoughts, NYCGLK. If I'm not able to get a line on winter 19s (at a somewhat reasonable price) within the next 30 days or less, I'll probably just go with the M-B 17s rim & tire promo. The dealer seems to be competitive with anything I can get from the States or locally if I go with decent-looking alloy rims.

The one thing you didn't mention though is that 17s are probably a better winter tire...higher profile, less contact area = better traction in deeper snow. And much easier to obtain chains for those few areas where they are mandatory.

Pirelli has 270 Sottozero Series II Performance Winter tires in 235/45R20 but I wouldn't pay $500/tire even if they were available in 19s to fit my GLK. Cheaper to buy 17" tires and rims!

But at this point, I'm still hopeful of finding the Dunlop winter tires Schutzen mentioned since he confirmed the mountain/snowflake symbol branded in the tire's sidewall. The problem is though that everything I've been able to dig up online thus far lists these tires as merely all-season tires. And it turns out the "MO" part of the description merely identifies the tire as a Mercedes spec and approved tire. Still, the web sites could be outdated. Heck, the Dunlop web site doesn't even list the tire in our size!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
Here in Florida snow tires are the last thing we need. I did come across this link. I'm not sure if these will fit on your 19" GLK wheels. Good Luck!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=55VR9WTM3XLN0
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
As many miles as we drive every ski year, I actually don't get more than one season's use out of a set of winter tires.

The one thing you didn't mention though is that 17s are probably a better winter tire...higher profile, less contact area = better traction in deeper snow. And much easier to obtain chains for those few areas where they are mandatory.
1 year, really? I'm not sure if that's because you had low profile winter tires, or do more drinving on autobahn than in snow, but I had my Dunlops M3's for 3 years on old car keeping them for 6 months a year. I'm in north east so majority of winters is on dry pavement as well with occaional storms. As I found out winter tires can also differ, some are more for just snow and others are for dry pavement and some snow.

I was gonna mention that 17's are better fit for winter, but figured you know that. But I'd also keep in mind that since there is better variety of winters for 17's, you can find a tire that last longer than a year, plus 17 vs. 19 of the same brand should last longer.

Good luck with your decisions. Mine is easy this year, keeping stock 20's to see how bad (or not bad) they are in winter.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM

2010 GLK
19" Canadian Spec Tire

Here a few pics of the 19" wheel and tire...Just to note...As a Road Safety Engineer I would certainly recommend the 17" rim and dedicated snow tire package for rural use or trips to the ski mountain. If you live in the city the 19" is likely sufficient with the mountain and snowflake pictogram. Really the mountain and snowflake rating is pretty loose but has to do with flexibility at low temperatures. My guess is that the Canadian spec GLKs got the 19" Dunlops with the mountian and snowflake pictogram because the province of Quebec made it a law to have snowtires (mountain and snowflake minimum spec). The 17" package will be a true off road performer. 20" wheel and tire package is likely sufficient in the USA. I test drove a GLK with 20" rim tire package last February in 6" of snow...spun the tires a few times but the traction control pulled right through...so really get what you need.

Winter tires have been designed for use in snow. They carry a pictograph on the side-wall of a peaked mountain with a snowflake, meet high standards for winter traction performance and should not be confused with Mud + Snow (M+S) rated snow tires. Winter tires are a good idea, and may even be legally required where you live. To learn more about winter tires, visit: www.betiresmart.ca
Attached Thumbnails GLK Winter Goodies-dunlop_tire_02.jpg   GLK Winter Goodies-dunlop_tire_01.jpg  

Last edited by Schutzen; 09-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Schutzen
Really the mountain and snowflake rating is pretty loose but has to do with flexibility at low temperatures.
Thanks, Schutzen! Good to know we have someone here on the forum with academic training in this area.

I couldn't figure out why Luke at TireRack said in THIS thread that "the GrandTrek Touring A/S does have the snowflake symbol but, it is an all season tire not a dedicated winter tire." Seemed to be a contradiction, but based upon what you said, appears the tire meets the bare minimum legal traction index to be branded as a winter tire while others with different tread compounds are much better sub-freezing temperature performers.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
This is great information here. Owning a GLK in Kingston, ON I am planning on waiting to see how bad I would need winter tires before I go and purchase a set of 17" rims and tires.

For those of you who might want to save some money, there are many second hand 17" rims available through Kijiji or Craig's list.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM

GLK 350
Schutzen thanks for the info.. That was detailed and simple to understand.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 PM

2010 GLK
USA 19" TIRES

I am curious though...Did the USA spec GLKs with 19" wheel/tire package get the same mountain and snowflake pictogram or was it just the 19" wheel/tire package in Canada that got the mountain and snowflake pictogram?

When I purchased my GLK I was going to get the sport package, but when I found out I could not get the aluminum roof rails I went for the 19" wheels/tires. My original plan was to go 20" and purchase 17" Mercedes 5-spoke rim with dedicated Bridgestone WS-60 snowtires. I think I can get away with 19" wheel and tire plus it does have the mountain and snowflake pictogram so at least slightly better than just a M+S all season.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Schutzen
...Did the USA spec GLKs with 19" wheel/tire package get the same mountain and snowflake pictogram or was it just the 19" wheel/tire package in Canada that got the mountain and snowflake pictogram?
Mine came with 235/50R19 Continental all-season M+S. User complaints on TireRack about marginal snow performance so they'll be coming off before the winter season starts. I'm also not pleased about the number of complaints concerning tread life despite the 360 UTQG treadwear rating.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Mine came with 235/50R19 Continental all-season M+S. User complaints on TireRack about marginal snow performance so they'll be coming off before the winter season starts. I'm also not pleased about the number of complaints concerning tread life despite the 360 UTQG treadwear rating.

This was one of the reasons I didn't mind getting 20's as they come with Pirrelli Scorpions that had better reviews on tirerack. Originally I wanted 19's as the roads around me are pretty bad, but it was impossible to find well optioned GLK with no apperance package. I'm very curious to see how driving GLK on these all seasons coompares. I had FWD car with manual and winter set, and never got stock in any storm. Then I had another FWD with auto and all-seasons, would not be able to get out of parking lot sometimes.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM

GLK 350
Excellent thread guys, just went throught all the posts... since I am looking to get a winter set.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 PM

GLK 350 4Matic, G35, Ford Ranger FX4II
A side note: If you get four snow tires applied to your vehicle check with your insurance company for any discoiunts. Some are offering a discount if you can provide a receipt. Save afew bucks!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Leslielp
I just got a $100.00 coupon in the mail from Mercedes hmmmmmm attached to the back of a very beautiful fold out brochure all about getting ready for winter in your GLK.

Of note:
The Picture they use is of a Silver GLK with aluminium roof rails (damm) with the back drop of a snow covered mountain
Inside they talk about the dynamics of winter tire traction
Why with 4Matic you still need winter tires
So there is the magic they are 235/60R17
They have what a 5 wide spoke wheel with either Continentals or Pirelli
Some of the other goodies inside are;
Ski/Snowboard Roof Racks
Trunk Tray and Storage Box
UMI no its not something new its the ole Universal Media Interface
All Season Floor Mats I will return my Costco ones these look nice

I have until November 6th. I think they should have made it $1,000
No doubt they are going to have a hefty MB price on that tire package
I have to find out how much those rims are, and if I can get a Michelin Xice2 set from Costco.

Well if anyone on here gets this package tell us all about it.

I for one will head down to my dealer this weekend to scope them out.

Yup... we got that teaser ad letter too... chucked it.