GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK HID installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4Matic
Exclamation GLK HID installation

Did you or whoever installed your HID kit have to remove the entire headlight unit on your GLK? I found someone to do my install in the metro D.C. region, but I wanted to see if his method of installing is consistent with other installers.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM

2010 MB GLK 350
Exclamation GLK350 HID H7 KIT Installation Tips

The passenger side is a little easier if you DIY. So make sure you have a good look at the pin location and how it clamp on tightly before you remove the OEM H7 bulb. Then cut out a piece of masking tape (the blue one that used in painting) tape the base of the pin holding it. It's a really a beeotch once the pin is out. Unlatch the pin that holding the H7 bulb and replaced with the new HID H7 kit. Once again cut out a piece of tape and tape it the bulb to the socket so it hold on tight. Remembered that you have one hand to do this. You can't see what you doing. But feeling the install is more difficult because you are blind. The driver side is really difficult so I remove the wheel well plastic cover so I can access to the bulb with my right hand. BTW I am right handed. So with the same technique. I taped the pin bottom so it would not fall out once I unlatched and remove the OEM H7 bulb. Make sure you do this in a sunny day or get some shop spot lights it will help a lot. Make sure you test out the HID bulbs that all the connections is ok and fire her up to see if she lights up before you secure the ballast to the chosen location. It took me a full week to plan this out with endless online search before I figure it out. If you can find an installer that specialized in MB just pay him for what's its worth. What a beeotch it was for me LOL!!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:37 PM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by HAMMERZ
The passenger side is a little easier if you DIY. So make sure you have a good look at the pin location and how it clamp on tightly before you remove the OEM H7 bulb. Then cut out a piece of masking tape (the blue one that used in painting) tape the base of the pin holding it. It's a really a beeotch once the pin is out. Unlatch the pin that holding the H7 bulb and replaced with the new HID H7 kit. Once again cut out a piece of tape and tape it the bulb to the socket so it hold on tight. Remembered that you have one hand to do this. You can't see what you doing. But feeling the install is more difficult because you are blind. The driver side is really difficult so I remove the wheel well plastic cover so I can access to the bulb with my right hand. BTW I am right handed. So with the same technique. I taped the pin bottom so it would not fall out once I unlatched and remove the OEM H7 bulb. Make sure you do this in a sunny day or get some shop spot lights it will help a lot. Make sure you test out the HID bulbs that all the connections is ok and fire her up to see if she lights up before you secure the ballast to the chosen location. It took me a full week to plan this out with endless online search before I figure it out. If you can find an installer that specialized in MB just pay him for what's its worth. What a beeotch it was for me LOL!!!!!
1- did you have to install an ERROR CANCELER?
2- what temperature you got for your HID (4500, 5000, .....)?
3- HID bulb brand?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM

2010 MB GLK 350
GLK 350 HID INSTALLATION TIPS

I got the H7 8000K kit from HIDEXTRA.Com. They are like $60 bucks plus shipping. The trick to install these H7 is to have a good look at the pin location. I used the professional electrical tape to tape the H7 HID bulbs in place. Then you can put the pin on with one hand much easier. Make sure you have plenty of lights. Before taking out the OEM bulbs. Make sure that you test the plug and play kit with the all the connections in and turn on the low beam see if both lights are on. You can leaved the HID bulbs in the plastic protector. The passenger side are very easy to put on. The driver's side you need to removed the plastic wheel well cover. There are one screw at the bottom fog area and three plastic pop-outs that hold the wheel cover. Peel those back so you have room to maneuver with one hand in. Use a Phillips screw driver to jam the plastic open. The plastic cover housing you need to drill a perfect round hole. I used the 3/4 inch drill bit which are plenty to put the wires through. Once everything works you can closed up the lid and mount the ballast. Stuff all excess wires in the housing. There are plenty of room for them. It took me a good 2 hours simply because I wanted to test and electrical tape all the loose ends. Good luck to all those attempt to DIY. I did not see any errors or need the error canceler I mean the OEM bulbs was a H7 bulbs so it was not the factory Bi-Zenon adaptive light system.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
I had H7 6K HID's installed in the headlamps, and H11 6K in the fogs, looks great, but removal of the bumper is required.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
removal of the bumper to change fog light bulbs?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM

glk
Originally Posted by veerodder
removal of the bumper to change fog light bulbs?
+1...same question here..

also, i thought if you didn't order the Bi-xeon with the car...and diy your HID, then you also need to change the wiring?...adding the transfromers?

Confused.........
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 AM

MB C450 AMG Sport
i didnt only place the HID bulbs, i installed the entire kits from xentech, they come with the transformers, and the cables from the original headlamps plug rite into the kits. here are some pics of the kits inside the engine bay
Attached Thumbnails GLK HID installation-_dsc4609.jpg   GLK HID installation-_dsc4610.jpg   GLK HID installation-_dsc4611.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM

glk
beautiful...so this kit is dedicated for the GLK...nice

did you have to drill and screw the transfomer on?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

MB C450 AMG Sport
the kit isnt made for the GLK, its just really small, and the installation is really well done, yea, it needs to be screwed onto the car.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM

glk
so i guess it accepts all MB plug? assuming all MB plugs are the same?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
yes, hid kits are universal
Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM

glk
question: for fog lights...do we need to remove the wheels? and then the cover? Or seriously the whole BUMPER?

for the mud cover..i see combination of bolts and plastic snaps...how do we remove this plastic pieces? (by push the center pin with the screw drive?) and how do we push it back?...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
since i installed both the fog lights and the headlamps, i had already taken off the front bumper when i installed the headlamps, and then i installed the fogs, i would imagine that if you just take off the mud guard under the front end of the car, u could access the fogs.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
to be honest, you dont necessarily need to take off the bumper, but it makes it a whole lot more comfortable so i just did it!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
GLK HID installation

Well I finally got the HID's installed, and the professional that did the work didn't have to remove the bumper. The install took 45 minutes and consisted of going through the wheel well on the driver side and under the hood on the passenger.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by coopdogg
Well I finally got the HID's installed, and the professional that did the work didn't have to remove the bumper. The install took 45 minutes and consisted of going through the wheel well on the driver side and under the hood on the passenger.
Can you post some pics? Where in MD did you have it done?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
The shop is located in Clinton, MD and the phone is 301-350-9401. I didn't get pics of the install itself, but hopefully I can clean it up this weekend and post a few shots of the HID's when the sun goes down.

Last edited by coopdogg; 12-11-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought AM HID kits don't throw down as much light as regular bulbs when you perform this retrofit? There was this article written by Daniel Stern that I cannot find that stated that.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found that HID article: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Planning on getting a GLK in couple of weeks and having experience with OEM HID and retrofits, the Daniel Stern data is very informative, but some of the data is outdated, but mostly true. The price of HID retrofit kits has significantly come down in the last 2 years. In some cases, you can get a full kit with bulbs, ballasts (some call transformers in this thread), and the wiring with OEM type waterproof connectors for less than two H7 Silverstar halogen bulbs from the dealer. At any rate, seems that new headlight housings are more forgiving when HID's are retrofitted. Only thing is that some light scatters above the factory cut-off, you can see this in your garage on the ceiling. The light from the stock halogen bulbs will always be focused below the cut-line. The scattered light is what makes oncoming traffic flash their "hi-beams" at you. Typically, if you slightly lower the angle of the retro-fitted housing, you will minimize the oncoming traffic "flashes", although, if done too much, will reduce the amount of perceived light ahead of your car. It is always a balance with HID retrofits.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I had a Philips HID kit done by my guy at 212 Motoring in Bklyn NY! Took about 45 min, no bumper to take off, most of these kits are plug and play, however the ballasts needed to Be screwed in to stay put. I did it back in April, maybe a week after taking delivery, as there were absolutly no GLK's available with the lighting package here in NY at the time. I didn't get the Fog's done, as it's a lease! But he said he could do them with no problem, and they would go through the wheel well. I may reconsider putting an LED strip after seeing how great the new AMG package looks, we'll see! Again it's a lease, rather not get to crazy.

Last edited by Sean76NYC; 12-30-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rob_fed
Planning on getting a GLK in couple of weeks and having experience with OEM HID and retrofits, the Daniel Stern data is very informative, but some of the data is outdated , but mostly true. The price of HID retrofit kits has significantly come down in the last 2 years. In some cases, you can get a full kit with bulbs, ballasts (some call transformers in this thread), and the wiring with OEM type waterproof connectors for less than two H7 Silverstar halogen bulbs from the dealer. At any rate, seems that new headlight housings are more forgiving when HID's are retrofitted. Only thing is that some light scatters above the factory cut-off, you can see this in your garage on the ceiling. The light from the stock halogen bulbs will always be focused below the cut-line. The scattered light is what makes oncoming traffic flash their "hi-beams" at you. Typically, if you slightly lower the angle of the retro-fitted housing, you will minimize the oncoming traffic "flashes", although, if done too much, will reduce the amount of perceived light ahead of your car. It is always a balance with HID retrofits.
I hope so. My main concern is what Daniel Stern said about the lack of throwing light down the road. I wonder if they actually tested using "projector" type housings?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Could someone do me a favor and take a picture of what the pin looks like holding the bulb, I seem to have massive problems latching the pin back once it is out. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I wish there had been a car in stock with the Xenon package when I got my car but I'm not interested in screwing with aftermarket lighting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK HID installation