GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Fluid Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 135/ GLK 350 4Matic Sand Beige, Parktronic, Lighting Package, Heated Seats, Running Boards
Fluid Levels

Hey fellow GLK owners,

This topic was posted before about low oil level. We have had our GLK about three weeks picked it up in Sindelfingen. So far no major problems or issues to report. Anyway I did not bother to check fluid levels on delivery assuming they would be good to go. Today before my wife road trip I made my first check of fluid levels and oil as low. It was not below min mark just above it. The owners manual says that is good, but I was taught it should be close to max as possible! Luckily I had a liter of Mobile 1 0W-40 in my garage to top it off some. Now it is reading halfway in-between! IMOP, seems like they are doing minimum fills at the factory. My advice for anyone picking up at Sindelfingen is before you leave check your fluid levels.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by MegGLK350
...My advice for anyone picking up at Sindelfingen is before you leave check your fluid levels.
I checked the oil before we departed the pick-up point and it was right on the full mark. You are aware, aren't you, that the first dipstick reading is always falsely low? Wipe it off, push the dipstick back in and check a second time.

Our GLK has nearly 2,500 miles on it now and and is roughly ⅔ - ¾ of a quart low. Seems to be about average for a German-designed/built engine. They don't build 'em as tight as the Japanese do.

Note: With an oil capacity of nine quarts, I won't bother topping off until it reads a quart low. But I do keep an unopened bottle in the underfloor cargo area...wouldn't want to pay the high Mobile I prices (nearly $22) at a German gas station.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM

BMW 135/ GLK 350 4Matic Sand Beige, Parktronic, Lighting Package, Heated Seats, Running Boards
Yep,

I checked it about 5X to make sure it was not a false reading before I added any oil. Plus I was trained as a mechanic/technician by Uncle Sam. I've checked and changed oil thousands of time. I believe it was just a low fill from the factory, but since I did not confirm it while at Sindelfingen it's my best guess. Stuff happens! If I'm wrong my engine has lost a lot of oil in three weeks and 1650 km. The difference between max fill and min fill is about a 2 liters per the manual. Plus as I stated before someone complained about the same problem in a earlier post.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by MegGLK350
The difference between max fill and min fill is about a 2 liters per the manual.
That's a good point you've made for folks who don't read the book all that thoroughly. I'm waiting for mine to hit the mid-point or slightly below so I can just dump in a full quart. Waiting for it to get to one quart low out of nine (or 8.5 I guess) didn't seem to be enough to worry about...much less percentage-wise than one quart out of a typical US auto five quart capacity.

I'd be quite surprised though if your engine had used nearly two quarts in the first 1,000 miles if you were following the suggested break-in routine. So I suspect your low-fill assumption is correct.

BTW, as an engine mechanic, are you a proponent of changing oil earlier than the M-B recommended 10,000 miles? I change oil early on our Porsches (but they are higher revving/stressed a bit more) and am anticipating changing oil on the GLK at the mid-point tire rotation. For sure the first time on a new engine but I'd like to hear your thoughts on subsequent oil changes. Am I being overly cautious and spending money unnecessarily on the naturally-aspirated 350 engine?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 AM

MB Owner,

I don't think my engine has used that much oil knock on wood! I see no other visual signs of to lead me down that path. I was on a tight schedule during pick up and assumed it was good. In reality it was technically within specs but to low for my taste! As far as early oil changes go that is a hot topic on all car forums boards! I'm old school so I like to change often. For example BMW recommends 15000 mi or when the service indicator says so. There was no way I was going to wait that long on a twin turbo engine. I did a break in change at 2500 mi and every 5000 mi after that.

To be honest I have always changed oil more than manufacturer has recommended. It can't do any damage and provides piece of mind in my case. So yes I will change my oil in the GLK every 5000 mi. We tend to keep cars for a long period of time and I guess that's when you will see the difference/results? Basically my rule of thumb goes like this. Change oil more than the manufacture recommends. Get all services, inspection done no matter how big or small.