GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Explain this please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Explain this please!

I have a GLK without Premium1 Package. It has the Dunlop 20" tires with the seven spoke wheels. Today I took my GLK to the dealer for some little things that need correcting.

They gave me a Loaner GLK with Premium Package and 20" wheels only the tires on the loaner are the Pirelli Scorpion Tires.

The Loaner rides almost 100% better than my car! I mean really, it is night and day difference. More specifically, the road noise is GONE. I can hardly feel road imperfections. The whole car feels just so much better than mine. My car hits a bump and you REALLY feel it. I mean sometimes I question if I am really driving a Mercedes in my car! I checked the build date on the Loaner, it is 06/09 my car is 04/09. I think something has definitely changed during the build dates.

So a couple of questions I have. Does Premium 1 package have more differences than just equipment? Like, are the springs and struts different? Or can tires really make this much difference?

Also I found that in the loaner when I want to check tire pressures it actually shows me the pressure numbers. My car does not do this! Why does my car not show me the pressure numbers? My owners manual shows that it should.

WTH?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Where have you been? I hate these Dunlops.... not only are they approx. half the cost of the Pirelli's, they wear out twice as fast too!

Look here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...re-owners.html

I think we 20" Dunlop owners should get a refund or an exchange! What do you think: They ride rougher, they're twice as loud, wear twice as fast and they cost half as much and we paid the same for them!

What does your TPS say? Anything? I think the tire pressure reading was upgraded just after you bought your car. Then again maybe the sensors in each wheel were not properly activated. Only the dealer can do this.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Where have you been? I hate these Dunlops.... not only are they approx. half the cost of the Pirelli's, they wear out twice as fast too!

Look here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...re-owners.html

I think we 20" Dunlop owners should get a refund or an exchange! What do you think: They ride rougher, they're twice as loud, wear twice as fast and they cost half as much and we paid the same for them!

What does your TPS say? Anything? I think the tire pressure reading was upgraded just after you bought your car. Then again maybe the sensors in each wheel were not properly activated. Only the dealer can do this.
I just posted in the Dunlop thread. In fact, I called MB today and complained about the tires. MBREDUX --> Call today! I made my call today around 10:00 AM mountain time. They told me to talk to the Selling Dealer about the tires. Your absolutley right. We paid the same for the cars but get inferior tires. WTF!!!

My tire pressure thing just says "No Messages". The car I was in today shows me the pressure at each wheel! This really jerks my chain. I wish Manufactures would not make changes like this in the middle of a production year. If I would have known this was going to change in JUNE I would have bought one that was made in FRICKIN JUNE!!! They better be able to upgrade this. I emailed my Service Guy and told him about this. Hopefully there is not a parts difference for the display of the numbers.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
I just posted in the Dunlop thread. In fact, I called MB today and complained about the tires. MBREDUX --> Call today! I made my call today around 10:00 AM mountain time. They told me to talk to the Selling Dealer about the tires. Your absolutley right. We paid the same for the cars but get inferior tires. WTF!!!

My tire pressure thing just says "No Messages". The car I was in today shows me the pressure at each wheel! This really jerks my chain. I wish Manufactures would not make changes like this in the middle of a production year. If I would have known this was going to change in JUNE I would have bought one that was made in FRICKIN JUNE!!! They better be able to upgrade this. I emailed my Service Guy and told him about this. Hopefully there is not a parts difference for the display of the numbers.

It's NOT a dealer's concern... it's the manufacturer's problem.... *they* put them on the car, not the dealer! They made the scam, not the dealer. I called too and they said they have had a few complaints since the summer. It's not going to be resolved I fear.... it's called being smashed over the head ripped off!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded

Wow! Tissue anyone??

I agree the whole tire thing is ridiculous... but you have to expect that production improvements will be made as time goes by... even mid production cycle. I'm sure when the 2011 comes out it will have many significant improvements over the 2010 model, and maybe even sell for less... just like tvs, just like computers, just like lawnmowers, just like every friggin thing you will ever buy or even invest in.

Last edited by JT01; 12-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by JT01
Wow! Tissue anyone??
Hey JT....

You should do yourself a favor and read through some of the WHINEY threads you've created or contributed yourself. What a hypocrit! LOL
Its and you know it. If the owners manual claims that something should do a particular function in your car then i would expect it to do that. Or not be printed in the manual.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Hey JT....

You should do yourself a favor and read through some of the WHINEY threads you've created or contributed yourself. What a hypocrit! LOL
Its and you know it. If the owners manual claims that something should do a particular function in your car then i would expect it to do that. Or not be printed in the manual.
Hey bud, don't get mad at me because you’re upset with your GLK...

and it's hypocrite...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by JT01
Hey bud, don't get mad at me because you’re upset with your GLK...
Should have bought a Chevy then you could return it in the first 60 days!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WpgGLK
Should have bought a Chevy then you could return it in the first 60 days!
Hey guys... this is a serious issue for some .... these Dunlops must have cost MB $35 bucks at most to put them on some GLK's! It would be like if some of us got 600w HK sound systems while others got 300w Costco brand sound systems for the same price!

These Dunlop's are cheap, fast wearing and noisy.. We who have them rightfully feel ripped off.... so lay off... thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
I feel sorry for the folks who got the Dunlop. They are really a poor tire. I got the Continental 4X4 Contact which is ironic in that my GLK is a RWD.
I would rather have the Pirellis, but I am satisfied.
I woud be pissed if I had the Dunlops. I feel for you.

Now, one thing to keep in mind.
I live in Florida and NEVER go very far North in the winter.
Maybe Myrtle Beach .......once during the winter......NO further and not even past Tampa the rest of the winter.....
So the Pirelli makes sense for me.

But for all of you guys?
No. No. No.
The Pirelli is a pure summer tire.

ALL the rest of the OEM tires are All Season.

So, unless you live in Phoenix or Florida.......Try to get the Conti's (mine are OK) or the
Bridgestones.

But if you must get the Pirellis, let me point out that pure summer tires are more than just tires that don't work well in the snow......they also lose their grip below about 40F.......I mean they get greasy!
So, if you can talk MB into the Pirellis and you live in the north......be prepared to buy some winter shoes.

Hope you guys win. The Dunlops are really bad tires IMO.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
I'm in Vancouver, and I'm quite certain the Pirelli's will do me just fine.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
+1, for me too...if mine is equipped w/ Pirelli's?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedRover
I feel sorry for the folks who got the Dunlop. They are really a poor tire. I got the Continental 4X4 Contact which is ironic in that my GLK is a RWD.
I would rather have the Pirellis, but I am satisfied.
I woud be pissed if I had the Dunlops. I feel for you.

Now, one thing to keep in mind.
I live in Florida and NEVER go very far North in the winter.
Maybe Myrtle Beach .......once during the winter......NO further and not even past Tampa the rest of the winter.....
So the Pirelli makes sense for me.

But for all of you guys?
No. No. No.
The Pirelli is a pure summer tire.

ALL the rest of the OEM tires are All Season.

So, unless you live in Phoenix or Florida.......Try to get the Conti's (mine are OK) or the
Bridgestones.

But if you must get the Pirellis, let me point out that pure summer tires are more than just tires that don't work well in the snow......they also lose their grip below about 40F.......I mean they get greasy!
So, if you can talk MB into the Pirellis and you live in the north......be prepared to buy some winter shoes.

Hope you guys win. The Dunlops are really bad tires IMO.

The Pirelli is not a P-Zero summer tire.... but a Scorpion Zero All Season Performance tire... just like Dunlop is..... see the Tire Rack did NOT make a mistake: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Besides having a difference belt design and tread pattern, (which makes the Pirelli's quieter) the only difference is that the Dunlop is made of faster wearing compounds.... read this as cheap.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
I dropped of my GLK at the dealer today to have the rear tailgate problem fixed (again), and so I also took the opportunity to raise the Dunlop vs. Pirelli issue with the Service Director. He said the issue was new to him, but he would look into it and get back to me. I also provided him with all the comparison information that MBRedux has posted here, so we'll see what he says.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Update:

Originally Posted by SLfanDC
I dropped of my GLK at the dealer today to have the rear tailgate problem fixed (again), and so I also took the opportunity to raise the Dunlop vs. Pirelli issue with the Service Director. He said the issue was new to him, but he would look into it and get back to me. I also provided him with all the comparison information that MBRedux has posted here, so we'll see what he says.
Service Director just called. He said that while there is nothing wrong with the Dunlops, he will put the Pirelli's on AT NO CHARGE as a "gesture of good will".

I must have been a good little boy this year and Santa gave me my present early!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Service Director just called. He said that while there is nothing wrong with the Dunlops, he will put the Pirelli's on AT NO CHARGE as a "gesture of good will".

I must have been a good little boy this year and Santa gave me my present early!
Come back and let us know if you feel the ride is much better. I'd really like to hear another member confirm what I felt.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

2011BMW Z4 IS, 2011 Ford Raptor, 2010 GLK
I had the Dunlop tires for about a week before the dealership could change them out to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. I have not noticed any significant difference in ride quality or handling on both dry and wet roads. The dealership was very good about switching out the tires.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
The Pirelli is not a P-Zero summer tire.... but a Scorpion Zero All Season Performance tire... just like Dunlop is..... see the Tire Rack did NOT make a mistake: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Besides having a difference belt design and tread pattern, (which makes the Pirelli's quieter) the only difference is that the Dunlop is made of faster wearing compounds.... read this as cheap.

Oh yes, Tire Rack DID make a mistake! And continues to make that mistake.

Go to Tirerack.com
Enter Vehicle make and year and model, then select TIRES, then select View All tires this size, and you will see this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Note that the Pireilli P Zero is shown as OE (Original Equipment) and also note that the Scorpion is not shown.
Hence the confusion.

I'll call them and tell them. They are pretty good about keeping their site accurate.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC

Go to Tirerack.com
Enter Vehicle make and year and model, then select TIRES, then select View All tires this size, and you will see this

Note that the Pireilli P Zero is shown as OE (Original Equipment) and also note that the Scorpion is not shown.
Hence the confusion.

I'll call them and tell them. They are pretty good about keeping their site accurate.
If you look at the 20", not the 19", it says the Original Equipment is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico (Street/Sport Truck All-Season). I believe this discussion has been about the 20" Dunlops.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
If you look at the 20", not the 19", it says the Original Equipment is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico (Street/Sport Truck All-Season). I believe this discussion has been about the 20" Dunlops.
And I noticed Tire Rack shows different OEM tires if you search for the GLK 350 4-Matic versus GLK 350 RWD.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And I noticed Tire Rack shows different OEM tires if you search for the GLK 350 4-Matic versus GLK 350 RWD.

That's right but there are only two types MB is using for now... Pirelli Scorp 0's and Dumlop Grandtrek's... (although a few came through with Conti's at the start.)
Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go to Tirerack.com

Hence the confusion.

BY THE WAY, YOUR LINK TAKES US TO TIRES FOR THE 19" WHEELS... WE'RE TALKING 20" WHEELS AND TIRES RIGHT?) Now my link is correct... there are TWO Pirelli's listed in the 235-45-20 size on TR's website, but only one, the Scorp Zero's (at the bottom of the list) is the OEM ALL SEASON TIRE... the other, the High Performance Summer Pirelli P-Zero is not yet an OEM tire (although it will soon be available this summer as an option) and does NOT come stock on our GLK's with 20" wheels. It will fit your GLK if wish to buy it.... got it now?

Last edited by MBRedux; 12-17-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who's your dealer?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:59 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Who's your dealer?
Just sent you a PM. Euro Motorcars in Bethesda.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just sent you a PM. Euro Motorcars in Bethesda.

Thanks...Wow! Let me know how it goes? Do you have 19" or 20" wheels? You may wish to closely inspect your wheels for scratches or damage one you get it back... please let me know how it works out.... I may do the same after the Holiday's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Explain this please!