GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Navigation Question

Does the Navi show you the time to destination or km to destination from your current position?

Cheers
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
Originally Posted by guyfromtor
Does the Navi show you the time to destination or km to destination from your current position?

Cheers
Destination time & distance shown on the navi screen.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Under Route sub-menu there is destination information and whatnot.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

GLK 350
Thanks!

I just ordered my GLK, so I don't have one to actualy check for this. I appreciate your responses.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
Is the distance displayed to your destination 'as the crow flies'?
I've tried a few address and I don't think it tells you the distance by the road?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by SD90
Is the distance displayed to your destination 'as the crow flies'?
I've tried a few address and I don't think it tells you the distance by the road?
Please don't tell I just spent $1800 on this and my $100 iGuidance 2009 PDA software does it better...my wife is goign to kill me

Actually, I want to hear by those of you using it.

How is the routing?

Does it reroute you when you drive away from the route it has selected?

Destination time/distance is it accurate?

Can you find POI on the route it has calculated?

If anyone here could send me a PDF of the actual navigation manual I'd be grateful

Last edited by guyfromtor; 02-09-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Please don't tell I just spent $1800 on this and my $100 iGuidance 2009 PDA software does it better...my wife is goign to kill me

How is the routing?

Can you find POI on the route it has calculated?

If anyone here could send me a PDF of the actual navigation manual I'd be grateful
Routing is fine

Yes it reroutes, I think all navis from this century do that, unless I'm misunderstading the question

Dest time/distance - never looked at it so don't know. I guess it can be only as accurate as it can be. If you are driving 80mph it'll be one time, and when you slow down to 40mph that time will have to change.

Not sure about POI. You can find POI by distance from you, but I think once you have a route you have to cancel it to enter another new destination of POI. What it does tho is if you are on a highway I'll show what's coming up at next 3-4 exits and in how many miles those exits are.

Don't have PDF, never really needed it, it's pretty simple to use.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM

GLK350
There is an option to change the display preference. I don't remember the places to set the option, but I remember you have choice on 1) time/distance to destination, 2) name of the current street, 3) Long/Lat info

You can add POI after the route is set as a waypoint
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

How is the routing?
Excellent.
Yes.
Yes, very accurate for me. +- a few mins at most.
I find the Nav in my GLK to be very good and I would not be driving it without this option.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Personally the OEM Navigation on GLK to be way over rated. Come on guys, let’s compare the feature on $200 portable GPS from Garmin for instance.

Garmin has FREE life time Live Traffic and speaks the name of the street. If you want Live Traffic feature in the GLK, you have to subscribe to Sirius’s paid service.

If the OEM Navigation had some of the feature from Mercedes’s UMI (Universal Media Interface) like FREE life time Live Traffic and A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming), I would have purchased it.

I may be bias because I don’t have built-in Navigation on my GLK and I just leave my Garmin in my glove box just in case. I think I used it twice since I bought my GLK more than 6 month ago.

Also, GLK is my wife’s ride and she said she rather have H/K sound system more than Navigation.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I hated dealing with portable navi. I hated taking it out mounting it, waiting for it to load, taking it down when leaving car in parking lots. Also my old portable navi didn't have voice commands and it was a pain to enter destination, especailly when driving.

Also in my case GLK's navi wasn't stand alone option. Premium sound and rearview camera with bigger/nicer screen is what sold me. I actually expected Navi to be pretty bad, but was pleasantly surprized. It might not have all the latest bells but it does what it's supposed to very well.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Navigation

Please dont tell me that the GLK Nav System, does not speak turns and streets????
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
Mine does but call roads by the #'s. Ex: Turn right on SR820.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I don't think you can compare feature for feature the latest Garmin with what you get in the GLK. The new Garmins are amazing, 3D, real time and bigger screens at a low price. But with the Nav you get integration with your Audio and Bluetooth connected phone. So you get auto muting of the radio, option to call the destination if its a resturant or business. Is it worth $1800? no, is a Mercedes worth the price you pay? probably not. Do you want the 7" Nav built in or a stand alone model plasterd to your dash or windshield, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Leslielp
I don't think you can compare feature for feature the latest Garmin with what you get in the GLK. The new Garmins are amazing, 3D, real time and bigger screens at a low price. But with the Nav you get integration with your Audio and Bluetooth connected phone. So you get auto muting of the radio, option to call the destination if its a resturant or business. Is it worth $1800? no, is a Mercedes worth the price you pay? probably not. Do you want the 7" Nav built in or a stand alone model plasterd to your dash or windshield, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
You are correct about matter of personal preference. I just don’t think OEM Navigation is worth $1800, although you do get DVD changer, built in HDD, etc.

I have no problem paying for built-in Navigation, if it had some of the feature that’s import to me like FREE live traffic integration for instance.

So instead I went and bought portable GPS and with left over money, purchased a Winter Alloy wheel and tire package.

Honestly, how often do you use your Navigation in your car? Maybe I just don’t travel to unknown area enough. If you are in Sales or something like that I probably have more use for built-in Navigation.

By the way, to answer you question “is a Mercedes worth the price?” Absolutely (at least GLK)
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM

2010 GLK350 4matic, Jade Green, Bi Xenon, P1, MM, Appearence Pkg.
Navigation

If you use dynamic routing, then the build in nav will use the traffic info and find the fastest route for you. I find that extreme useful in LA's traffic.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by DM_GLK
If you use dynamic routing, then the build in nav will use the traffic info and find the fastest route for you. I find that extreme useful in LA's traffic.
To use the dynamic routing, does this only work if I also have the sat radio option for live traffic information?