GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

complaints???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
complaints???

Can anyone clear up these questions for me??? I have read that people seem to to be un happy with the GLK's braking, and highway rocking side to side,,, Is there a major problem with stopping the truck??? And is the steering to loose??? My truck s/b here in 2-3weeks and I am getting a little worried??? tx Dan
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
My GLK brakes just fine, and the handling is similar to that of the current generation E class. Steering is a bit vague, but not really much worse than my wife's C-class.

I really don't think there is much for you to worry about.

Did you test drive it before buying?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM

09 C300 Sport Mars Red / P1 / Burl Walnut
Steering is downright snappy compared to the Tundra I traded in.

Compared to our C300, it's a slightly more vague feel, and it blows around a little more on the highway in windy conditions.

But, I don't find it a problem at all. To me, the GLK drives just as it should... like a sport-oriented small SUV.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
Our GLK brakes just fine as well. I do see what they mean about the steering feeling vague, but there is nothing wrong with it, jut feels very easy to steer. I don't notice any body roll at highway speeds.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM

GLK 4Matic
I didn't have a problem with the brakes at first but I did notice I had to apply a little more pressure than I was used to. Body roll, to me, is a non-issue. Both non-issues to me. As a side not, our first two RX's had body roll which was obvious. The latest RX, which has a completely different suspension, is really improved.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Honestly, I think the breaks on my GLK are far superior than any car I have ever owned. Granted I have never had to really slam on them yet but for everyday driving (highway/city) they are smooth, quiet and work when I need them!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
GLK's brake are perfectly fine. I noted brake softness and when test driving it with very few miles. Now I think they are perfectly fine.

It all depends on your expectations and how it compares to your previous car. I had previous car with very touchy brakes, so GLK's braking seemed softer and delayed, now I don't notice it at all and actually I like it this way as it's easier to moderate breaking power. Also, it takes couple hundred miles for brakes to break-in.

But honestly, the only times I hit breaks hard is just to test them out. I barely use the brakes esp. since car keeps gears engaged. If you are not one of those people riding others people rear bumper and can see 1/4 mile ahead there is barely any need for brakes.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
NYC GLK QUESTION

But honestly, the only times I hit breaks hard is just to test them out. I barely use the brakes esp. since car keeps gears engaged. If you are not one of those people riding others people rear bumper and can see 1/4 mile ahead there is barely any need for brakes.[/quote]

What do you mean "Hardly use the breaks" car keeps gears engaged????
Old 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
I've noticed that when you are at highway speeds, and let of the gas, it almost seems like the brakes come on just a bit. It doesn't seem like the GLK wants to keep rolling. We have a big hill by our place on a freeway, the Civic if you got up to 80km/h and put it in neutral, the speed would slowly increase to the bottom of the hill. With the GLK, let off the gas at 80km/h and the speed slows down right away. Is that what NYCGLK means with the gears stay engaged?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

???

Not sure if that is what vhe means, but I also waqs told by a saleman that the car will literally stop itself???Did not think I nhave to go to school to learn how to drive this thing??? tx Dan
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by GEMINIDAN

What do you mean "Hardly use the breaks" car keeps gears engaged????
Auto doesn't drop to neutral when you let gas go and keeps gear in which slows car down just like with engine braking. You can even use manual downshifting pretty much instead of brakes, but I don't think it's a good thing too do too often.

I do use brakes, what I meant is that I don't ever need to slam on the to find how good they really are.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM

GLK350
Wow. Ok, from what I know...

A. GLK does not have the automatic application of brakes - that the new e-class has - whereby the car senses - with radar - impending collision, and thereby automatically applies the brakes- to lessen the effect of the crash that is going to happen

B. GLK has received awards for top quality - (consumer reports), GLK is based on new generation c-class parts and, for north american market is assembled in bremen germany, and is representative of MB's renewed commitment to quality: proven so far, by quality ratings such as consumer reports (as well as our own personal experience)

If vehicle quality is your concern, I don't think you can be concerned about the GLK as a generation or class of vehicle.

Specific examples of course, can have problems, these are sophisticated machines after all with a variety of sensors and on-board computer systems and networks etc. but even if such issues arose, they'd be covered by warranty. (our has been perfect)

re: side-to-side "rocking", if you have driven the car (not really a "truck" is it folks?) then you should be able to have your own confirmed opinion of the vehicle dynamics. Our experience is that you can feel that the GLK is somewhat stiff when bouncing over, at low speed, speed bumps that approach at an angle, other than that, the car is smoooooooth, comfy, quiet, powerful, competent.

I'd suggest you drive the car and gain personal experience. If you come to like the GLK best, there is no information to suggest you should shy away. GLK is a great little benz.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
I agree with GadgetGLK 100%. He could not of said it better.
BTW-Congratulations on winning the gold tonight, It was a great game!!!!!
Frank
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM

GLK 2010
Originally Posted by SD90
Our GLK brakes just fine as well. I do see what they mean about the steering feeling vague, but there is nothing wrong with it, jut feels very easy to steer. I don't notice any body roll at highway speeds.
My experience is the same. Excellent braking, no body roll to complain about.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Some here are complaining about their brakes squealing, some have had their pads replaced but the noise has returned in a few. Otherwise they brake just fine....

The steering feedback is numb in my opinion when compared to other SUV's we own. Plus the steering fails to re-center properly when coming out of a hard turn.... a design flaw. Road feel and feedback are dampened because most drivers in the States prefer it that way, but not me... then again I normally don't drive the GLK that often.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM

528i, GLK
Yes, brakes can feel weak when miles are under 500, after that it seemed to tighten up. That's how I felt when I got it... then again I came from a BMW 5 series, so anything would seem loose to me...

the ride can feel lofty on highway but its hell better than RX350 and steering wheel is light but its not out of norm of small SUV.

you have to know what you are getting into when you get the GLK, its not a sports car, not even a sports sedan... its a SUV.