GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL500
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
I smell an Internet troll.

Hey Ignatius,

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." --Jonathan Swift

If you have read your John Kennedy Toole, you will know that that is meant sarcastically, but I wanted to make sure...

If you knew anything about fuel injection and ECUs, it would be pretty simple to answer them.

I had deleted the following, since I wanted to keep the conversation on a civil level and to the point. But since you are trolling and insulting everyone who is interested in having an intelligent conversation about octane, ECU control, etc., here goes:

Your post on this forum indicated that you didn't know what a spark plug is, how to count them, or where they are located on an engine:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...do-i-have.html

Your post also indicates that you don't know what your car's model name indicates, i.e.- SL500 by definition means a 5.0 liter V8, and 8 cylinders on that engine means 8 spark plugs. You didn't even have to know what a spark plug was or how to count! Do you know anything about Mercedes-Benz cars?

I am not sure why I am wasting my time on a troll who doesn't know what a spark plug is or what car he is driving...

Anyone have a can of troll-be-gone?

How's that?
Nah, that's not gonna do it. Initially, I didn't want to respond to you because you're so incredibly incorrect, that I didn't want to embarrass you in public. I might have educated you given the right response, but since you're clearly a juvenile, I'm going to wait until you grow up.

Until then, maybe you can embarrass yourself further by explaining to us how knock sensors work? You clearly believe that monitoring 8 cylinders requires 8 knock sensors? (Note, I'm giving you a hint as to where you should start in educating yourself.)
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 PM

GLK
Hey Ignatius,

Nah, that's not gonna do it.
Well, that apparently did do it, as you have posted yet another childish response along the lines of "I know you are but what am I?" instead of proving you have any technical knowledge whatsoever.

Get back to me once you figure out what a spark plug is.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993

Aren't there octane/engine/spark plug forums forums out there?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM

GLK
Once someone in the other thread told jsap how many spark plugs his engine had, that part of the discussion was taken care of:

Tragic that he couldn't figure that one out by himself.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
some cars have 2 some have 1 per cylinder
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM

R129 SL500
Once someone in the other thread told jsap how many spark plugs his engine had, that part of the discussion was taken care of:

Tragic that he couldn't figure that one out by himself.
You need to try harder. Maybe by looking at your own post?

Most engines I have seen have one (or at most 2) knock sensors, so how does it monitor each cylinder separately? Does the GLK engine have one sensor per cylinder?
Well, so people don't become misinformed, I better post the correct information somewhere. There's nothing worse than the propagation of misinformation just because someone is louder. But, since this person is still a kid, I don't want to bother him with such things, since he's busy polishing his smurfs. I'll let some of you know where I've placed the info, except the kid.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM

GLK
Exactly how ancient, decrepit, and coprolitic are you?

...just because someone is louder.
Turn down your hearing aid. Pop a couple of Geritols. Turn off the Lawrence Welk, get out your walker, put some fresh tennis ***** on it, and go out and get some fresh air!

Most importantly of all, take a break from Internet trolling.

(Did your old-folks home just get the Interweb on one of them new-fangled TV-like doo-hickies (that gets the Internets in COLOR?!?!) 'cause you're coming across as a rank noob who just got on-line in his retirement.)

(Not that there's anything wrong with growing older; we all are.)
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM

GLK
Note: a coprolite is fossilized dinosaur poo.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM

R129 SL500
Exactly how ancient, decrepit, and coprolitic are you?

Turn down your hearing aid. Pop a couple of Geritols. Turn off the Lawrence Welk, get out your walker, put some fresh tennis ***** on it, and go out and get some fresh air!

Most importantly of all, take a break from Internet trolling.

(Did your old-folks home just get the Interweb on one of them new-fangled TV-like doo-hickies (that gets the Internets in COLOR?!?!) 'cause you're coming across as a rank noob who just got on-line in his retirement.)

(Not that there's anything wrong with growing older; we all are.)
Oh, you really ARE a kid! That's cute. I heard shrek 4 came out recently. And Toy Story 3. This year must have been the bestest year for you! Evuuur!

Btw, this last post wasn't as good. You've done better.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 PM

GLK
Poor OLD (j)sap! Having to deal with all of those young whipper-snappers under the age of 60 on them-thar Internets!

From the Merriam-Webster definition of sap:

1. ...a watery solution...

2. a foolish gullible person

Last edited by MilesBFree; 09-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

GLK
Apologies to you, and to everyone who had to read through this. Let's go back to discussing the GLK.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
This discussion started out somewhat amusing with some good technical information. Now, it's all downhill with the bickering guys, and is quite vaginal. If someone has some more useful information, please post it. At the end of the day, like I said earlier use the recommended gas you car needs. I really don't see why the debate on gas keeps coming up in regards to MB's. I smell a lock coming if the insults keep going.

JMT...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM

R129 SL500
Apologies to you, and to everyone who had to read through this. Let's go back to discussing the GLK.
So, how do knock sensors work on the GLK? I'm here to learn from you.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM

GLK
BigBen320E:

Agreed. Thanks for being the voice of reason.

I apologized to him and everyone else.

I consider it closed, even if it doesn't get locked. I won't respond any more.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by jsap
So, how do knock sensors work on the GLK? I'm here to learn from you.
Originally Posted by jsap
I'll let some of you know where I've placed the info...
Please do post the information you promised on how the knock sensor works on the GLK's engine.

I mean that in a friendly way, since I do want to get the discussion back onto technical topics.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
First, let's tone down the name-calling and derrogatory comments. It's not called for here.

Second, My C320 has the 3.2L V6 (the predecessor of the 3.5L in your GLKs). The car has 79,000 miles on it. The first 5 years, I ran it on Premium, exclusively. The last 4.5 years it has run on Midgrade, exclusively. Midgrade here is 89 octane. I buy no-name gasoline.

I noticed a slight decrease in peppiness, initially (a month or so as the computer ECU adjusted), none since. No stutters, no preignition, nothing. Acceleration is just as good as before. And I do have my share of speeding tickets to prove I'm no grandpa on the gas pedal.

The engine definitely does NOT like regular unleaded (87 octane).

In May, I put 2000 miles on the car on a round trip from Dallas to Sierra Vista AZ and back. 70-75mph at 2850rpm for 14 hours continuously each way. Upon returning, I have noticed my gas mileage has increased about 1.5mpg, and is holding at this level in the 3 months since. The point is that highway driving for hours on end using midgrade fuel in no way harmed the engine, and in fact appears to have improved it.

In fact, my gas mileage has gradually increased throughout the life of the car, regardless of gasoline octane. I get about 23-25mpg in mixed city/hwy driving... 30mpg on the interstate exclusively. My best Interstate mileage was 33mpg, when ambient temp conditions are perfect (70º or so, low humidity). IMO, ambient temperature has more affect on this engine's performance than choice between the two upper grades of fuel.

I attribute the gradual increase in fuel economy to the exclusive use of Mobil 1, 0-40w fully synthetic oil. I'm told this lubricant delays a full break-in with the engine. I change it once a year, regardless of mileage.

After spending almost 10 years with this car, I've concluded there is no benefit in running Premium fuel in this engine, nor any harm in running 89 octane. I occassionally visit 3rd world countries where I see a Mercedes pass and I wonder where that fellow finds Premium gas (knowing there is none).

Of course, my car is long since out of warranty, so it's my choice to run Midgrade in it. But the engine continues to be bullet proof. The choice is yours...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM

GLK
Again, my apologies to jsap and everyone else for engaging in the flame war, and apologies for bringing the sport (i.e.- this forum) into disrepute (as they say in F1).
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 AM

R129 SL500
Well, like I said, I've been in some ridiculous online conversations lately, and this one certainly adds to the list.

Why these octane conversations get out of hand, who knows. Assuming that we have indeed cooled off, I'll post a few items on knock sensor operation on the M119.97x engine equipped with the EZL/LH ICU.

I won't address every item that have come across this thread, because at some point we deviated from the basic discussion. And, actually, the knock sensor discussion, is also a side-bar subject to the main subject matter: Mercedes being the only manufacturer of knock-sensor equipped vehicles to tell its consumers that their cars needs to be at less than 2000 RPM, despite the fact that Lexus and BMW make 12+:1 ratio engines and can safely run on lower octane. And we're supposed to believe that this is because Mercedes are so very special, and that makes US so very special, and therefore our gas NEEDS to be so very specially 91 octane....

Every engine is different, but the basic operation of anti-knock is the same.

I'll use primary documentation for this so we can get past playing this game of who's the real idiot. Hopefully, we can get past the basics, and have higher level discussions.

Btw, I hope you believe me that I was serious when I said that this would be laborious....
Attached Thumbnails Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-15-0020_28.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-15-0020_23.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-mercedes_live_data_.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-vcs_manual_mercedes_115.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-vcs_manual_mercedes_126.jpg  

Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-dtc_list_w124_m119_1.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 AM

R129 SL500
Attachments continued.
Attached Thumbnails Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-15-0020_24.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-15-0020_25.jpg   Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)-15-0020_26.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM

2006-C230
Gas is crazy high in California so I use the “middle grade” on occasions but I prefer premium…at the end of the day they r basically the same…I do not see a difference in the two…*shrugs*
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by MarCedeS
Gas is crazy high in California so I use the “middle grade” on occasions but I prefer premium…at the end of the day they r basically the same…I do not see a difference in the two…*shrugs*
91 octane is $4.03 a gallon here on Maui. 87 octane is $3.83 a gallon, the higher it is the lower the percent difference between regular and premium
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM

2006-C230
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
91 octane is $4.03 a gallon here on Maui. 87 octane is $3.83 a gallon, the higher it is the lower the percent difference between regular and premium
WOW
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Gas is pretty pricey here in CA.

I just got back from Nashville where regular was as low as $2.59 a gallon.

Good barbeque, too...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Gas is pretty pricey here in CA.

I just got back from Nashville where regular was as low as $2.59 a gallon.

Good barbeque, too...
I just filled up here on Maui, Shell Premium was $3.96 per gallon. Regular runs around 15 cents less so at these prices who cares about saving 15 cents.

Last edited by SL2003driver; 09-10-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
Originally Posted by cyberjak
I personally never understood people who bought luxury cars then cry about the price of premium gas or having to use premium gas. The difference between 87 and 91 at most gas stations is no more than $0.20 cents a gallon and in some station as little as $0.10 cents a gallon.

If your car tank is 15 gallons were are talking about less than $3 per fill up even if you use 1 tank of gas per week we are talking about $150 difference a year. If you can not afford a $150 a year why the hell are you buying a luxury car any ways over a economy car. Those are the same people who cry about how expensive services are on luxury cars, if you can not afford the service then why are you buying a luxury car in the first place.

I am not putting anyone down just pointing out the obvious. Yes I know plenty of people ni real life who suffer form the above syndrome.
This "I wanna use cheap gas so I'm gonna ask until I get enough yes votes" mentality is on every forum on this site

I pity the fool who buys one of these cars from one of these "wanna be a baller but can't afford the right gas types"

What about routine maintenance? Where else are the corners cut?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys use mid grade gas? (89 octane)