GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

My new GLK - Sort of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
My new GLK - Sort of...

In May 2009, I wanted to get a GLK 4MATIC in Black w/ Black interior, but black interior meant that I had to get aluminum trim, and I preferred the walnut. So, I went against my instincts and got the GLK in Black w/ Almond Tex interior so I could get the walnut trim. Over nine months, I have learned how dirty the Almond interior gets (I have a two-year old daughter) and I've been regretting my decision. So, I stopped by the dealer the other day and was able to swap out my "old" GLK for a "new" one in Black/Black/Walnut. The only other difference between the old and new is that the old one had running boards and the new one does not.

Driving the "new" GLK, I've noticed a few changes, mostly for the better, but at least one that is worse. For the better, the car overall seems to be much better put together. It is much quieter while driving and virtually all the rattling noises are gone. The new Nav has Sirius Traffic which my old one did not, and the Grace Note feature seems to have been updated so it recognizes a lot more of my CDs. Also, my passenger side mirror tilts down when I put the car in reverse, and I'm very glad to have this feature! Finally, I'm glad my new GLK does not have the running boards because I found them to be more of a nuisance than helpful (always getting the leg of my pants dirty).

As for the change that is worse, I really don't like the fact that the transmission defaults back to "C" mode every time you start the car. I normally drive in "S" mode, and it is very annoying to have to press that button every time I start the car. I would love to hear if anyone comes up with a solution to this!

Overall, I'm far more pleased with the new GLK, both because I now have the interior color combo I wanted in the first place, plus I feel like MB has worked out some of the bugs and quirks in the more recently built vehicles.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
We own the exact same car as your new one but we decided to go with the almond MB Tex (our kids are all grown up). Keeping it clean is no big deal... 10min a week with a good grade cleaner/conditioner does the trick.

As far as the tranny defaulting to C... yes it sucks.... the only fix would be to turn-off the default code using Win-Star.... otherwise known as messing around with the brains of the vehicle... just leave it... no big deal.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
did they give you a good deal on trade in?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 AM

R350
The passenger side mirror tilt-down feature is neat. If I knew GLK is coming with that, I would have waited a few months to buy...
Old 04-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK
Mirror

It seems to me that the passenger side mirror tilt down would be just a computer setting change that MB chnaged for newer models. What do you all think. I would think MB would be able to change this for all owners that dont have this feature.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 350
C or S mode?

Is it better to drive in the C or S mode? I usually drive in the C mode, and I think that is what my salesperson told me was best for most driving....but I really don't know. What do you think? I drive mostly highway, but probably at only 45-50 mph mostly.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by veerodder
did they give you a good deal on trade in?
Yes, they made the whole process pretty painless. This is the 6th MB I've bought from the same dealer in the last 7 years, so they went out of their way to make it easy on me.