moisture in the side mirror housing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
ame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk
moisture in the side mirror housing

I have found some moisture inside the side mirror housing through the signal light lens. Is it normal the moisture can get in the housing?
Please advise.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:25 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Get them replaced under warranty. I had some water in there when it was cold. The water froze and cracked both of those clear lenses in the mirror housing.

The good news though is that they are very easy to replace. They remove a screw from the front of the mirror then the lenses just slide out.

They fixed mine with no question.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
ame

glk
So, the dealer looked and ordered the whole side mirror housing.They said they will replace the whole housing cover not just the lens. I hope they will do a good job.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Thats wierd that they are going to replace the entire mirror. Like I said, I watched them replace mine and they simply removed the reflector piece and slid a new one in.

I was a little concerned they were going to replace the entire mirror because I just had the clear bra installed and it was installed on the mirrors housings. So if they replaced the whole mirror I would have had to re-apply the clear bra to the new mirrors. ALSO, to remove the mirror, they may have to remove the door panel. But I am not sure.

Watch out if they remove your door panels. Because when they take them off it deforms the plastic down at the bottom of the door where it should be a nice tight fit against the metal of the door. My first GLK had the door panels removed to fix the crunchy door handles. Well, my panels were not the same when it was put back together. They were squeaky and did not fit like when they were before they were removed.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM
ame

glk
Thank you for your info. I don't really want them to remove the door panel too. Could you please tell me which screw they removed to have the lense slide out.A photo could be big help since I have talk to the dealer and they have no clue at all.........

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:00 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by ame
Thank you for your info. I don't really want them to remove the door panel too. Could you please tell me which screw they removed to have the lense slide out.A photo could be big help since I have talk to the dealer and they have no clue at all.........

Thanks.
Using the mirror controller inside the car, tilt the mirror all the way up. Then very carefully (you don't want to scratch the mirror housing paint or the mirror itself), using a screwdriver you access the screw just behind the mirror. There is just enough room to access this screw with the mirror up. The service person should be able to look this procedure up in the computer service manual.

Perhaps the service advisor just told you they are going to replace the entire mirror assemble to keep your mind at ease. Maybe he is not aware of this procedure himself. I would be willing to bet that when they asked the parts department to order the parts they quickly realized that they can replace just the lens and that is what they will actually be doing. A complete mirror assembly would be quite expensive for Mercedes to be replacing all the time. I'm sure they know this.

Tell your service advisor your concern and let him know about the hidden screw.

Let us know what happens.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 PM
ame

glk
They end up replace the whole housing cover without remove the door panel. It took an hour or so. Everything fine no scatch,no damaged so I am happy.