GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Air Filter on the GLK 350???

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
You’re wrong again. Totally : No fire, not even smoke, just trying to get nonverified statements corrected. As I have ignored “accusations” from you before, without responding to them, I’ll step down to your level – for once.
As I said, whatever gets you up and dancing!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Originally Posted by Blazeitup123
Thanks for the link Blazeitup!

Just went to the dealer for the A1 service, and the experience was unpleasant enough I am rethinking my ownership of a Mercedes.

One of the items the service advisor noted was that the air filter was dirty and needed to be changed. Got a bit of a hard sell from him on that:

SA: (pops hoses off and points to the cardboard frame of the filter, visible in the tube)

SA: Looks like your air filter is very dirty.

Me: The cardboard frame is a bit dirty, but what does the filter media look like?

SA: It takes a lot of time to get it off and open so I can't show you right now - the technician will need to do it.

Me: (thinks OK, makes some sense) I'll take a look at it when I get home.

SA: OH NO, YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE FILTER!

Me: (a bit taken aback and momentarily confused due to the force of his response) The filter can't be changed? So does the whole assembly need to be changed out?

SA: No, I meant YOU can't change the filter. Only the dealer can.

Me: Well, I always change my own filters.

SA: But this one requires special tools and training, and there is a $1,000 rubber O-ring that you could damage. There is a special tool only available to dealers that is needed to get the plastic cover off the engine itself.

Me: (thinks to self, that just does not sound right)

SA: So, do you want us to change it?

Me: No, I'll do a bit more research.

SA: (pulls power steering dipstick, since I mentioned the steering was making a bit of noise when turning the wheel while parking the car)

SA: Aha, looks like that caused the PS fluid to get dirty too. That's what is causing the noise.

Me: What does a dirty air filter have to do with the PS fluid?

SA: Erm, I mean the dirty PS fluid is causing the noise, and it is low too.

He did talk me into having it flushed and filled, but it wasn't that dirty... However it was cheap enough and frankly I felt a little cowed by the whole experience - we had similar discussions about a few other issues I mentioned and my nerves were a little frazzled. I can only imagine what would have happened if my wife took it in as we originally planned - probably a $3,000 repair bill.

So, from the instructions in the link above, it looks like the "special tool" needed to get the plastic housing off the engine is a functioning pair of hands. I am not seeing where there is a $1,000 O-ring involved.

And this is the "good" M-B dealership of the two in our area.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM

GLK
I did a bit more googling as the write-up in the link above didn't mention a clip that the SA pointed to and said was one of the parts requiring a special tool to remove, and which could result in damage to the $1,000 O-ring if I did this myself.

The retaining clip is #340 in the pic below, but from this diagram looks like it is likely just popped off by hand.

Wondering if #255 is the magical $1,000 O-ring (probably made from powdered unicorn horn and kitten cuteness, and only available after working one's way past the ninjas and fire-breathing dragon guarding it):

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM

GLK
Here's a video showing the procedure (thanks GLKKa2H).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMPJPhKOenI
Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 AM

GLK
Just ordered the Mann-Filter C 3698-2 (this is a set of 2) for $34 including shipping on Amazon (ProParts is the actual seller and I have bought a lot of parts from them over the years for the RX-7 and they are great to deal with).

I ordered two sets and the shipping only went up by about $1 so these are even cheaper...
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
Just ordered the Mann-Filter C 3698-2 (this is a set of 2) for $34 including shipping on Amazon (ProParts is the actual seller and I have bought a lot of parts from them over the years for the RX-7 and they are great to deal with).

I ordered two sets and the shipping only went up by about $1 so these are even cheaper...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
2nd Airfilter for engine ??

I just replaced my air filters (engine, set of 2) when I noticed another set of 2 white/grey filter elements beneath the regular air filter.
See pictures.

I was not able to find any info about them. Who knows more? Order number, etc.? Do they need to be replaced?
None of the parts dealer has "other" air filters listed.

Help please!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM

--
new found airfilter has part number..

just spoke with my SA and he told me they found the part number for it,
but it is not serviceable. If needed, it can only be replaced as an assembly. Cost would be approx. $290.
Here the part number: 273 090 1101.

Maybe someone can figure it out.

I was wondering if I could take it out. Doesn't it restrict air flow ??
Nobody else has seen it (yet) on their car.

Last edited by allanX204; 05-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by allanX204
just spoke with my SA and he told me they found the part number for it,
but it is not serviceable. If needed, it can only be replaced as an assembly. Cost would be approx. $290.
Here the part number: 273 090 1101.

Maybe someone can figure it out.

I was wondering if I could take it out. Doesn't it restrict air flow ??
Nobody else has seen it (yet) on their car.
Where are you located? Those look like activated charcoal filters?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM

civic corrado glk
interested to know what those preliminary filters are
Old 03-16-2020, 09:46 PM

clk320
Originally Posted by allanX204
I just replaced my air filters (engine, set of 2) when I noticed another set of 2 white/grey filter elements beneath the regular air filter.
See pictures.

I was not able to find any info about them. Who knows more? Order number, etc.? Do they need to be replaced?
None of the parts dealer has "other" air filters listed.

Help please!
Hello did someone figure out how to replace those 2 carbon filters
Old 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM

--
saw it on youtube

Hi, just noticed your question. I haven't looked into this filter after my first search years ago. Still have the original.
I was searching the web today and found a youtube video showing this type filter. That was the only time I saw it at another car beside mine.
Link:
Minute= 1:22 into video.
Maybe the company can help.
good luck