GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Run-flat tires on European diesel GLKs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel GLK in 20??
Run-flat tires on European diesel GLKs?

Over in the ML forum I read that when WB added the Bluetech urea injection tank to the ML diesels it took up the space normally occupied by the spare tire. Hence all diesel MLs are now equipped with run flat tires and they have no spare tire.

So I am curious if Bluetech equipped GLKs are being sold in other English speaking countries. Do they have a spare tire or run flats?

No spare tire is a deal breaker for me due to our rural location. Maybe that is why MB could be waiting for a model redesign in 2013 to introduce a 50-state-version of the Bluetech diesel GLK. Bummer.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by benbow
Over in the ML forum I read that when WB added the Bluetech urea injection tank to the ML diesels it took up the space normally occupied by the spare tire. Hence all diesel MLs are now equipped with run flat tires and they have no spare tire.
You're right; the cargo compartment of the ML 350 BlueTEC 4Matic is 500 l, wheras it is 551 l for ML 350 4Matic.

So I am curious if Bluetech equipped GLKs are being sold in other English speaking countries. Do they have a spare tire or run flats?
I don't think you will find a BlueTEC GLK anywhere, yet. The GLKs as such are not even on the "New cars list" of MBUK, and the BlueTEC GLKs are not for sale in Germany. The range of models in latter is: 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY, 220 CDI 4Matic BlueEFFICIENCY, 250 CDI 4Matic BlueEFFICIENCY, 350 CDI 4Matic, 300 4Matic and 350 4Matic.

Whether there will be launched a BlueTEC GLK, or when, has to be seen, as the BlueEFFICIENCY is compliant with the CO2 Emissions standard EU5. The BlueTEC is used for engines which comply with an even more stringent exhaust emission standard than EU5, the Enhanced Environmentally Friendly Vehicle (EEV) classification, and meets the EU6 standard. And as you know - the cargo compartment of the GLK is already (more) than marginal

No spare tire is a deal breaker for me due to our rural location. Maybe that is why MB could be waiting for a model redesign in 2013 to introduce a 50-state-version of the Bluetech diesel GLK. Bummer.
Given MB really is awaiting anything with regard to a US introduction of CDIs, is more likely the disaster with the OM 651 (4 cylinder) engines the cause. As I see it, is the case not yet resolved. The 350 CDIs seems to run well.

Last edited by GLKKa2H; 06-21-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Removed a quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 AM

Diesel GLK in 20??
Thanks for explaining the difference between BlueEfficiency and BlueTek diesel configurations and exhaust emission standards. California is most likely requiring the more stringent emissions standard explaining why only the BlueTek diesel MLs, GLs, Rs and Es are being offered for sale.

My mother drives a diesel VW TDI Golf? that was purchased in California and it has no urea system. Audi & VW 4 cylinder diesels must be a little cleaner. How do they do it?

My father had a 1960's Mercedes 190? diesel sedan. That car could really belch black soot and fumes.

Can you describe your own problems with the 220CDI engine?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 PM

- Audi & VW 4 cylinder diesels must be a little cleaner. How do they do it?

In general, are there three (main) areas of improvement to lower the emissions: Engine, transmission and aerodynamics. This goes for all "brands", whether they are called "BlueMotion" (VW), "BlueEFFICIENCY" or all the different kind of "ECO-) etc.
For the engines is turbo (two in the 220 CDI GLK, low- and high pressure), and revised engine mapping, key features.
The transmissions are new technology like the "Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe" (DSG) for VW, "Powershift" for Ford/Volvo and so on, and as well reprogrammed.
Improvements of aerodynamics are achieved by lowering the vehicles, add spoilers etc.

A link to the "BlueMotion Technologies": http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/bluemotion

Can you describe your own problems with the 220CDI engine?
The engine of our GLK was (still is?) subject to the "Injector breakdown" problem, note the The Sunday Times article "Mercedes hit by power flaw":
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...-have-your-say

The number of engines/cars affected is in the rough order of 12.000. Things like this happen all the time, however is in my opinion, the MB approach of handling it more than questionable. Many owners have had one injector failure/replacement after another, as many as three times, instead of having all four injectors replaced the first time. Our dealership refused to replace the injectors of our GLK, before breakdown, until I used "brute force" on country MB.
However, as seen in a German forum, may not the issue be solved - yet
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 AM

Diesel GLK in 20??
Ah yes, good old Delphi Corporation....shame on them for making up to 48,000 early-failure 220CDI injectors. They have not had the reputation for making the highest quality parts for General Motors. I replaced the mediocre Delphi radio in my GM pickup with a Pioneer. Mercedes Benz should be passing on the cost this lapse in injector quality control to Delphi. Were your replacement injectors the same design and brand?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Were your replacement injectors the same design and brand?
Unfortunately - yes. A change to Bosch injectors, which are installed in some other MB engines, would require a redesign with new Engine Control Unit (ECU), high-pressure pump, common rail etc. I guess the Delphi Piezo injectors (specification with regard to pressure: 2.000 bar, and opens or closes in less than 100 Microsec.) were selected by MB in their struggle for lower emissions.

However do I see this discussion is way far from its title