GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Buying Decision - Standard or Bi-Xenon Option??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Iggier
I need help with a GLK purchase decision. I'm five years into my C240 and ready for a new vehicle. No dealer in the (US) mid-Atlantic states (including my own dealer) has on the lot a GLK with the bi-xenon headlight option. My dealer explained that it's just not something popular here. If I want it, I have to order the vehicle. That's fine, but here's the dilemma -

How can I know that the bi-xenon option is worthwhile if I don't have the opportunity to try it before I special order the GLK? I could save a lot of time and certainly some dollars purchasing the car off the lot. I don't want an HID after-market option or a modification.

I'm the first to admit that my night vision is terrible. I avoid night driving to the extent possible. My C has horrible road lighting despite multiple adjustments to the headlight angle and height. As far as turning corners - forget about it - I just can't see.

I'm thinking that bi-xenon would at minimum be an improvement over the standard, but I half to wonder how much so. I live in an urban area where the majority of streets and highways are lit.

One other thing I can't figure...seems to me the bi-xenon option places the LED daytime running lamps in the fog lamp position. If that's the case, where are the fogs? Am I missing something?

Any help, insight or advice would be much appreciated. In the interim, I'm borrowing from my dealer a GLK tomorrow evening to take out on a night drive. Maybe the standard lighting will be sufficient?

I mean.... come on!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
On the North American Lighting Package the only LED lights in the rear are the turn signal elements and they are RED.
Does anybody know why Mercedes would depart from the legal in USA amber rear turn signal color that remains in the standard lighting versions sold here?
Can the circuit board for the European GLK be retrofitted into the USA lighting fixture?
I haven't seen any recent activity from Steve@mbenz.nl for some time.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by n5160u
On the North American Lighting Package the only LED lights in the rear are the turn signal elements and they are RED.
Does anybody know why Mercedes would depart from the legal in USA amber rear turn signal color that remains in the standard lighting versions sold here?
I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if red LEDs were a fraction of a cent cheaper than amber so that's why MB chose red.

MB's website touts the safety factor of LEDs under the C Class Lighting Package, which includes LED stop lamps:

"LED taillamps
Not only brighter than traditional incandescent bulbs, LED technology also delivers quicker illumination of the brake lamps. By offering drivers behind you more time to react, their stopping distance can be reduced by several feet, which could make a critical difference in a panic stop."
For a company that prides itself on building safe cars and heavily advertises that, they aren't making much sense regarding the LEDs. "We know LED stop lamps are a potential safety feature and we know that they're extremely cheap compared to complicated computer-controlled safety features but we're only going to put them on some of our cars and even then they're not standard equipment. We make them optional as part of a package that few dealers order on stock cars. Your safety is important to us... but only some of the time. Thank you, drive through!"
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
Many features on our cars are now controlled by software rather than hard wired hardware.
I would not be surprised if some of the "features" like ILS, Adaptive Brake Lights, and Speedtronic are already coded into the vehicle systems and selectively "disabled" on North American Spec vehicles. My last BMW had these features so its not like they were illegal for the USA vehicles.
The E46 three series BMW's with the Sport Package had LED stop, tail, and turn signals lighted with an array of multicolored LED's. While an individual LED might be cheaper than a light bulb the multiple LED's in the BMW fixtures used around fourteen LED's for each color in order to cover the same viewing angles as the light bulbs with their reflector and lens systems. This makes the LED's as a system much more expensive than a simple light bulb.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by n5160u
This makes the LED's as a system much more expensive than a simple light bulb.
A string of LEDs for the DRLs is certainly more expensive than just using the regular headlamps that are already on the car anyway but Mercedes jumped on that Audi bandwagon. It just doesn't make much sense to me for them to embrace the LEDs at the front of the car where they're purely cosmetic but leave incandescents in the stop lamps where LEDs would actually be a safety feature.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
We got our GLK with the bi-Xeon head lights and are very happy with them. They are so much brighter than the normal lights. We try to not drive at night, and live in the city, so I guess they aren't needed, but they sure do light up the road for a long way! The cornering lights are very cool as well!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
also curve illumination function is great for night driving on winding roads, which comes only with xenon package