GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Headlight washer system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Headlight washer system

The headlight washer system is a pain in the butt!. My car was idle at a stop and I was washing bugs off my windshield, then the automatic headlight washer came out and sprayed my headlights. but my problem is that there is so much that sprays on my hood as well. I was a bit heartbroken actually cause I washed and detailed the car the day before. Is this how its suppose to be?
Also the fluid that is ejected from the washer system doesnt really come off, any ideas?
This is my first car with a headlight washer system so please don't mind my nooby questions

Last edited by EdenGLK; 07-30-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I usually turn headlights off when I don't spray windshield only. I have DRLs on, but if you turn the switch to paking lights postion, xenons shut off and lights don't get sprayed (US Model). I agree it's annoying and wish there was just a separate button for the light washers.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM

2010 GLK 350
The headlight washer system will always spray when you use the winshield washer system for the first time after starting the vehicle and then about every 5th windshield wash after that. There doesn't appear to be any way around the initial wash cycle since the headlights cannot be turned off. The dealer may be able to pull a fuse or a relay to keep the headlight washer system from coming on at all, but I doubt they will do this.
As far as the fluid goes, mine came with a unique kind of washer fluid as well. Just use it up and add regular winshield washer fluid into the resovior.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM

C63
Hmmm thanks for the responses! I just noticed this while I was driving to Calgary and stopped at a light. I think I might just use up all the fluid really fast , then not add any back in because this is so annoying. I don't really think my headlights need the washing system at all because I always handwash my car.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by EdenGLK
Hmmm thanks for the responses! I just noticed this while I was driving to Calgary and stopped at a light. I think I might just use up all the fluid really fast , then not add any back in because this is so annoying. I don't really think my headlights need the washing system at all because I always handwash my car.
A tip for our Canadian pals..... just remove the fuse or the relay for the washer units during the warmer months, then replace it for the salty/snowy winters.... We here in the States don't have this issue if we make sure our headlights are off when we use the windshield washer. (By the way, it's better to keep a small windex bottle and a roll of paper towels in the trunk. Clean the glass each time you fill her up! Dirty blades severely scratch up glass over time anyhow and I try not using it as often.)

Now this method may throw a code, but it will go off when the relay/fuse is replaced.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
would you clean the blades too? I read in some GLK manual not to clean the blades as they have some coating? Might have been euro manual tho.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
The headlight washer system will always spray when you use the windshield washer system for the first time after starting the vehicle and then about every 5th windshield wash after that.
From the GLK Operator's Manual:
"The headlamps will be cleaned with a highpressure water jet automatically when the engine is running and you have
- switched on the headlamps and
- the windshield wipers have wiped the windshield with washer fluid for the first time
The headlamps are cleaned every tenth time the windshield is washed with washer fluid.
The counter resets when you switch off the ignition."

As far as the fluid goes, mine came with a unique kind of washer fluid as well. Just use it up and add regular winshield washer fluid into the resovior.
Note the GLK Manual: ! ("Helpful hints or further information you may find useful."): "Only use washer fluid which is suitable for plastic lenses. Improper washer fluid can damage the plastic lenses of the headlamps."

would you clean the blades too? I read in some GLK manual not to clean the blades as they have some coating? Might have been euro manual tho.

The (US) GLK Manual again: "Cleaning the windows and the wiper blades: - Clean the windshield and the wiper blade inserts with a clean cloth and mild detergent solution."

- I think I might just use up all the fluid really fast, then not add any back in because this is so annoying. I don't really think my headlights need the washing system at all because I always handwash my car.
Then will you continiously get the text message on the Multifunction Display: "Check Washer Fluid".
I am just wondering: as the Headlamp Cleaning System (obviously) is controlled over the CAN-bus (Controller–area network) would it then be an idea to ask your dealership if they could re-program this functionality? Technically is it feasible, whether MB will do it or not - that's the question.
The following users liked this post:
diesel315 (09-10-2016)