GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Tele Aid ---> mbrace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Tele Aid ---> mbrace

The "upgrade" will apparently be available on the GLK after November 16, 2010.

I received a notice from MB on our ML-500 (which we sold a while ago) saying that the upgrade was available now. I called the toll free number on the letter and asked about our GLK.

The agent was confused and said that this did not apply to the GLK since it is a 2010 model. She also said that all 2010 models produced after November 2009 did not need it. I told her we bought ours in June of 2009, so it was assuredly produced before November :-) This confused her even more. I pointed out that the GLK has been available since January 2009 in the States and late 2008 in Canada, all as 2010 models. She was now really confused and put me on hold to talk to her supervisor.

After a couple of more rounds, she said the answer was that the GLKs did indeed need to have the "upgrade" done, but this is not possible until November 16, 2010. This is due to the MB contract with the service provider for Tele Aid which does not allow Tele Aid to be turned off until then one newer cars such as the GLK.

Here is the FAQ I found (since I was still a little confused after that call):

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace/faqs
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM

GLK
One thing I am still confused on is whether or not you need to have an active Tele Aid subscription in order to qualify for the free upgrade to mbrace.

I would not think it does, but the person I spoke to in the above conversation was not sure. She seemed to think it didn't matter but I forgot to get back to that question before I hung up.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM

GLK
And another thing - the Tele Aid option (359) is listed as a $650 option.

I am pretty sure we did not get this when we purchased, unless it was included in one of the other packages. Meaning at least the hardware and software were installed as part of another package such as ones that included the COMAND unit. From what I have been able to gather, it appears that the HW and SW should be there even w/o ordering the option, since the upgrade is done to the COMAND unit.

So is the $650 option really just the activation and one or more years of subscription?

And related to mbrace, does this mean that pretty much any GLK can be upgraded to mbrace, whether or not the Tele Aid option was selected when the car was ordered?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM

2012 E550 with RENNtech ECU
GLKs and all other Mercedes must be equipped with the Tele Aid hardware (359) option in order to subscribe to mbrace. It is standard equipment on all models except C, GLK, E coupe/cab, and the R-Class. If your vehicle has the 359 option you can subscribe to mbrace.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 AM

GLK
Just got the notice to upgrade yesterday. Will see if I can get in to the dealership in the next week or two.

The notice says you get 3 free months of mbrace service when you have the upgrade done.

Anyone had this done yet?