GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

need help outside rubber door mouldings

Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I thought price wasn't an issue? So here's your last chance. Buy it by the box and save big money.... (works out to a little over $11.50 per can) you won't regret it... and once you see how well it works, you'll find hundreds of uses for it... like coating the bottom of skis and sleds, (better than wax in most cases) lubing all the door hinges, door surrounds & inside moldings, home uses like door hinges, window slides, etc... I spray the engine compartments of all our cars... protects aluminum and metal surfaces from salt spray, rust etc etc etc... I'll bet you'll eat through this box (12 cans) in less than 24 months.

http://www.restockit.com/3m-silicone...arisonshopping
Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Like this sled?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Originally Posted by MBRedux
I thought price wasn't an issue? So here's your last chance. Buy it by the box and save big money.... (works out to a little over $11.50 per can) you won't regret it... and once you see how well it works, you'll find hundreds of uses for it... like coating the bottom of skis and sleds, (better than wax in most cases) lubing all the door hinges, door surrounds & inside moldings, home uses like door hinges, window slides, etc... I spray the engine compartments of all our cars... protects aluminum and metal surfaces from salt spray, rust etc etc etc... I'll bet you'll eat through this box (12 cans) in less than 24 months.

http://www.restockit.com/3m-silicone...arisonshopping
SO SELL ME A CAN, LET ME TRY IT AND IF IT IS AS GOOD AS YOU SAY I WILL BUY THE CASE???
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
No don't do this...... the silicone spray they sell is NOT made by 3M and is NOT the same product.... Silicone spray from these stores will HARM your rubber and your PAINT!
Really, well I've used them for years on moldings and they have never harmed any part of my car they have preserved the moldings and gotten rid of any creaks and squeaks. I guess you think 3M makes the only product that works, hate to tell you but they don't I know that 3M makes a good product and I use 3M but I've used other silcone spray with the same outcome. Used them on my Aston Martin, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz. No problem and my doors don't creak on my new GLK350

Last edited by SL2003driver; 08-31-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
For $60+ dollars!?&%$#!
You're right - I credit you for that one

It's probably 60% pure silicone or Polyethylene Glycol anyways....
You're wrong - not for professional care of (real) rubber, as you know

- this Swissvax product is a USA company....
You're wrong - to the best of my knowledge are there only 50 states in USA, so far, and Switzerland will never be

Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
You're right - I credit you for that one

You're wrong - not for professional care of (real) rubber, as you know

You're wrong - to the best of my knowledge are there only 50 states in USA, so far, and Switzerland will never be

That's funny, I just got off the phone with the owner.... and he said that all of the products are made in the USA.... Most likely because it's cheaper than exporting it from Swissland.... he also said it's now a USA firm.... But it doesn't matter, it still too expensive for a crappy product.....
Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
has anybody tried putting tire shine on that rubber piece? I put it on one of the moldings to see how it looks over time. After putting it on, it looks great, we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not Recommended!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
has anybody tried putting tire shine on that rubber piece? I put it on one of the moldings to see how it looks over time. After putting it on, it looks great, we'll see how long it lasts.
Its common knowledge that Armor-All and Tire-Shine eventually dries out and cracks rubber especially if used on tires, but not so on plastic or vinyl.

Clear Tire Shine is petroleum based… another no-no for rubber longevity. (Rubber trim should last as long as the car, (6-10 years) while tires only last 20-30K miles, or 2-3 years. So it's probably okay to use these cosmetics on tires because they will be replaced way sooner than any trim work if ever. This is way before the damage can show its ugly face on tires. But if you do use these products regularly on tires, look at the sidewall after a few years… you WILL see small cracks developing.

Overall, these cosmetic products will ruin the rubber trim way too soon if used.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Tire Shine

MBRedux is right,,,tire shine after awhile will start to turn "BROWN" and also can cause cracking...I still have been using formula "303" which works about 80% and seems to last somewhat thru the rains in Florida...but it just does not last long enough...Still waiting for one of the fellow contributors on here to decide to sell me a can of 3M Lube
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
i see, i know what you mean, has seen the brown tint on tires as this stuff wears off. That's why I tried it just on one piece of the window molding. Thanks for the info, won't use this further, the look doesn't really bother that much.