Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by ble2716
My 2 cents.......Just over 65,000 KM (40,000+ miles???) and the brakes and still OK here.
We need more positive comments like this one. Glad to hear that you are happy.

Wayne
Old 11-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Originally Posted by mikefili
The brakes just plain SUCK in the GLK. My 2012 was back at the dealer with 200 total miles on it, Very low pedal, very high force needed. The car feels like it is not going to stop. Service manager drove it and agreed with the problem. They bled the brakes without any improvement, they then changed the master cylinder, a little better but still horrible. I have had a number of MB cars including an 08 ML, great brakes, my wife's C class has great brakes. I don't know what to do with this car, It is going back on Tuesday for another shot at it. I have found if I lift off the brake pedal for a moment and then step again they work great, nice high firm pedal and the car stops great. Even while sitting at a light the car requires much pedal force to keep it from creeping foward, if I do the double pump thing it stays put as it should. I do think that the car is just too heavy for the brakes they have used.
That statement is plane incorrect. For a very few minority, may be.
3 samples over 3 years does not make a mass problem.

I have none of these symptoms.
The stop light example simply does not exist with me.

I think sometimes people see this small, agile & quick SUV & fail to realize they are moving 2+ tons.

Common sense & basic physics dictate greater stopping preparation diligence as the lbs get heavier.

Basic fundamental braking & driving technique such as brake modulation would support the poster's good braking feel after letting off.

And test driving the thing with great care prior to purchase help worked out any questions we had.
We test drove this thing on 3 different occasions with repeated brake fade a primary concern:
1) Initially
2) BMW driving event comparison vs. new X3
3) Final

I don't believe throwing $40+K at something & crying foul without knowing the facts is proof of a GLK's brake deficiency. It does show something else though...

Last edited by MBNA109; 11-04-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
There are so many factors in braking that its hard to tell without driving the car in a test drive. Pad type and composition, rotor composition, then how the driver uses or abuses them, road conditions, tire pressures, will all effect the way brakes behave... Ever drive past a wreck on the freeway?.... and did you happen to drive through a puddle of antifreeze from the wreck? Antifreeze, oil, gasoline etc will soak into the pads and lessen their performance. If the driver is a speed demon from block to block of stop and go driving, this abuse can glaze the pad which can also ruin its performance... so before you blame Mercedes, or the car, first look at your driving and braking habits to see if they can be improved upon...

Last edited by MBRedux; 11-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
There are so many factors in braking that its hard to tell without driving the car in a test drive. Pad type and composition, rotor composition, then how the driver uses or abuses them, road conditions, tire pressures, will all effect the way brakes behave... Ever drive past a wreck on the freeway?.... and did you happen to drive through a puddle of antifreeze from the wreck? Antifreeze, oil, gasoline etc will soak into the pads and lessen their performance. If the driver is a speed demon from block to block of stop and go driving, this abuse can glaze the pad which can also ruin its performance... so before you blame Mercedes, or the car, first look at your driving and braking habits to see if they can be improved upon...
Have you ever taken a driving class?

Seriously, you couldn't have written it any better.
I would also add that the tires are the other main part of braking that people always neglect.

The OEM shodded Dunlops aren't the best out there - if you have it on your GLK.

If your tires are worn, cold or possibly damaged - guess what is creating 'stick' & friction or where the rubber meets the road? It ain't the brakes touching the asphalt.

Last edited by MBNA109; 11-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by MBNA109
Have you ever taken a driving class?

Seriously, you couldn't have written it any better.
I would also add that the tires are the other main part of braking that people always neglect.

The OEM shodded Dunlops aren't the best out there - if you have it on your GLK.

If your tires are worn, cold or possibly damaged - guess what is creating 'stick' & friction or where the rubber meets the road? It ain't the brakes touching the asphalt.
This is true but remember that the OP is complaining about *peddle travel* more than brake feel. This IS serious and the dealer isn't treating him/her with respect IMO. I'm still anxious to find what's causing this issue.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM

'10 GLK350
Are you, lucky owners of GLK's with good brakes, done throwing mud at us, the few not so lucky ones?
Al this technical nonsense that was given above, very much reminds me of what dealership are usually feeding to unhappy clients, if they want to avoid problematic repairs.
My case is simple, brakes show very modest wear, however pedal travels too far and brake performance is rather variable. At times brakes would grab well and early, but most of the time pedal goes deep and brakes seem weak. I am not car genius and I am not planning to become one, however I bought well established brand and not a home made kit car, so it is only reasonable to expect, that brakes in my GLK would work to my safety and satisfaction. Currently MB gave me reason to believe that it is not available. Therefore, I filed safety complaint with NHTSA, so they investigate the issue. Especially since I see more than myself with that similar complaint. If it was some minor issue, like backup camera, or door lock, I'd be a lot more calm here, however my wife has already been in a minor collision, where she "almost stopped", yet managed to dent that Honda's door, that cut her off... It is hard to blame MB for that, however, something makes me think that better brakes on our GLK would have helped.
This is my 2 bucks, for your consideration.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Technical nonsense? Seriously, you need to know something about cars before YOU go slinging your own sewage.
Slinging mud @ you?
You're the one going in seeking help already down a few IQ points...Ignorance always causes trouble I guess.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM

'10 GLK350
Originally Posted by MBNA109
Technical nonsense? Seriously, you need to know something about cars before YOU go slinging your own sewage.
Slinging mud @ you?
You're the one going in seeking help already down a few IQ points...Ignorance always causes trouble I guess.
Since your brakes are good and you have no complaints, why are you in this thread then?
Your technical expertise is not helping here, because there is no button to push, to make my brakes work like they do on other cars we own and drive.
Do you think normal person needs to think and know about all the brake system's internals and theories, when their pedal goes half way to the floor, before something happens? Please go and start another thread, where you can praise GLK brakes and I will not participate, however in this one, I found that I am not alone and that there are other GLK's with similar issue.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by GLKKLG
Since your brakes are good and you have no complaints, why are you in this thread then?
Your technical expertise is not helping here, because there is no button to push, to make my brakes work like they do on other cars we own and drive.
Do you think normal person needs to think and know about all the brake system's internals and theories, when their pedal goes half way to the floor, before something happens? Please go and start another thread, where you can praise GLK brakes and I will not participate, however in this one, I found that I am not alone and that there are other GLK's with similar issue.
Because this isn't Cold War Eastern Bloc or North Korea, so that's why I am here.

Berating a 125 year old manufacturer & its dealership affiliates because you are too arrogant to address the issue like a rational adult is somehow helping you?

In this thread there are 3 people speaking up about this issue...how is that representative of a mass defect?

Hey don't let the big numbers or engineering scare you now.
I'm sure there's a wall somewhere you can run into just to prove that you are right.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by GLKKLG
I am dealing with brake pedal becoming gradually deeper and deeper, also brakes are not as grabby as on other newer cars, they feel bit slippery.
Dealership refuses to acknowledge any brake issues, so I am currently talking MB USA and possibly local lemon law firm. We have our GLK for 2 years now, since new and complained number of times about funny brakes, yet MB chooses to act like their dropping do not smell.
GLKKLG,

It is way past time that you take your GLK to:
1. Another M-B dealer. Ask them politely to evaluate the brake system. Without any other background story. Don't muddy the water with your 2 year tale of woe. Something like this...
"Mr. M-B Service Rep., Please evaluate my brake system."
"What is wrong, Mr. GLK Owner?"
"I would like you to tell me if there is anything wrong. Please?"
2. Do the same with a reliable independant garage that specializes in current model Mercedes-Benz vehicles.
Be prepaired to pay for both examinations.

That is my final answer.

Wayne