GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350 or Volvo XC60

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLX350
Exclamation GLK350 or Volvo XC60

I am deciding between a 2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD (every option except Nav and safety) and a 2011 GLK350 (Sport and Premium Packages, and Keyless Go, not the nav). The test drives of the two have been very comparable, and the options are very similar. Price is close. I am having trouble deciding between these two vehicles.

Can any of you assist me with my decision by telling me why the GLK might be superior or a better value between these two vehicles? I am having a real hard time deciding.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I don't know if GLK is better value or not compared to XC60. I never even considered Volvo, partly because of it's relation with Ford and decreased quality, and party because Volvo is not my style. Also don't like turbo engines on SUV.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by HowwwwL
I am deciding between a 2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD (every option except Nav and safety) and a 2011 GLK350 (Sport and Premium Packages, and Keyless Go, not the nav). The test drives of the two have been very comparable, and the options are very similar. Price is close. I am having trouble deciding between these two vehicles.

Can any of you assist me with my decision by telling me why the GLK might be superior or a better value between these two vehicles? I am having a real hard time deciding.
We went testdriving Volvo XC60, GLK (and BMW X3 + Audi Q5), always during winter conditions, over a period of two months, before we decided on the GLK. I certainly can see you why have a hard time making your decision, as we had. Our feeling of the GLK being marginal less “bumpy” than the others, led to our choice.

Having read comparable tests of the four SUVs in three automobile magazines, conducted during winter conditions, is XC60 superior the GLK in two of them, by far in the uphill test.

Euro NCAP “organizes crash-tests and provides an independent assessment of the safety performance of cars”. The rating of the XC60 is better than the GLK.

The cargo space of the GLK is limited, the XC60 is 10% bigger, although still small.

I don’t see the GLK superior, by no means, and the XC60 is most likely a better value – in our country (borders to Sweden!) -, so when it comes to it, I would say a dealership and its handling of the aftermarket would be a major concern when making the decision.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded

A good pal of mine living in Germany just purchased a fully loaded Volvo XC. He always had Volvo's and Benz's in his family. He loves it!

(But he also has an S65 AMG)

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

GLX350
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
We went testdriving Volvo XC60, GLK (and BMW X3 + Audi Q5)
I test drove the Audi Q5 as well. It was the worst ride of any vehicle I tested. I cannot understand how reviewers rank that the number one Crossover for ride in its class. It didn't even feel as luxurious as the Volvo or Mercedes inside, nor did it have as good a styling... I can't understand why it is so popular.

It is really hard to discount the 'branding' of mercedes, that is for sure. If I totally took the branding out of the picture between the two vehicles, I think I would weigh more heavily on the Volvo XC60 in this class of vehicle.

As far as 'branding' goes, when compared to other luxury vehicles, do you think Volvo has a very solid reputation?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I test drove the Audi Q5 as well. It was the worst ride of any vehicle I tested. I cannot understand how reviewers rank that the number one Crossover for ride in its class. It didn't even feel as luxurious as the Volvo or Mercedes inside, nor did it have as good a styling... I can't understand why it is so popular.

It is really hard to discount the 'branding' of mercedes, that is for sure. If I totally took the branding out of the picture between the two vehicles, I think I would weigh more heavily on the Volvo XC60 in this class of vehicle.

As far as 'branding' goes, when compared to other luxury vehicles, do you think Volvo has a very solid reputation?
Obviously your taste in what a "ride" should feel like is not popular then. (Based on your comments) We love the look and feel of our Q5-S

Sorry to say, but it's true, but men, usually younger men, enjoy a sportier-stiffer ride, with better turn-in and less understeer. The Audi has this, but the GLK in stock form doesn't. So it's clear why you may not like these qualities.

Our family has both, and we enjoy them both for different reasons.

PS: The answer to your question is YES, Volvo has a huge and loyal following.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-13-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MBRedux
We love the look and feel of our Q5RS.
I didn't know there is production Q5 RS
Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM

I think that depends a lot on where one lives, and does vary from country to country, as well between regions inside countries. Here is Volvo XC60 having a more solid reputation than the GLK, and by far most sold. Prices are close, given options selected equals.

In case sales figures somehow is a measure of reputation, is the list of Europe’s top-selling Premium SUVs January – June 2010:
1. BMW X1 44,067
2. Audi Q5 43,660
3. Volvo XC60 29,616
4. Land Rover Freelander 20,138
5. BMW X5 16,565
Source: JATO Dynamics
Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I never even considered Volvo, partly because of it's relation with Ford and decreased quality -
Volvo was sold from Ford to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co, China, March 2010!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Volvo is now owned by a Chinese parent company which probably is fairly cash rich but how it will influence the brand is unproven.

We had a few Volvos in the past, We don't find them as reliable as our Mercedes.

Another important consideration is the dealership network. Here in Canada, I like the fact that the MB stores are factory owned, offering better support than the independently owned Volvo dealerships.

I once lost a CD during a test drive and the Volvo dealer didn't even bother trying to look for it for me.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM

GLK 350
Hmmm if Volvo was sold to a Chinese company, I wonder why they haven't changed the rear design of their cars; still looks like end of a Chinese-style coffin.

That being said, I haven't sat in a Volvo in many years; the last one I think was a S70 from like 1998-1999? I remember they were some solidly built cars, albeit a little dull in style.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
I'm a Volvo/Mercedes family. We got one of the last Swedish owned cars and did OSD last March for 3 weeks in the new Volvo and had a blast. Bought it for the wife, but she lets me tweek on it. It's just at 300hp/300 torque - fun car and held it's own on the Autobahn. The only way I'd get the XC60 is if we went back to Europe to get it.

Originally Posted by MBRedux
A good pal of mine living in Germany just purchased a fully loaded Volvo XC. He always had Volvo's and Benz's in his family. He loves it!

(But he also has an S65 AMG)
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
Volvo was sold from Ford to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co, China, March 2010!
yea even better, but I bought GLK in 2009
Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I didn't know there is production Q5 RS
You're right NYCGLK! But as I posted several weeks ago on another thread, my son was stationed in Germany where he purchased the front and rear facias as well as all related hardware necessary to convert his car into the look of a S-Line Q5. The wheels are also Audi 20" as seen in the photo. The *R* was a wishful typo... sorry and a good catch!

He completed the job only recently with the help of his local Porsche/Audi dealership. It looks and drives amazing with the S-Line springs and stiffer shocks. The only thing he chose not to do was upgrade the calipers and rotors, since he not only ran out of money, (this conversion cost him a fortune) he plans on buying Brembo's this summer.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-13-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^good stuff
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!

Volvo cars have a solid reputation; Volvo drivers, on the other hand...

I find most Volvo drivers to drive slowly and fearfully. I suspect they are scared to drive and buy Volvos because of their reputation for safety.

I know this sounds stereotypical but it is also my experience... almost every time traffic is being held up by someone who is driving indecisively it is a Volvo (usually a wagon).
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Volvo cars have a solid reputation; Volvo drivers, on the other hand...

I find most Volvo drivers to drive slowly and fearfully. I suspect they are scared to drive and buy Volvos because of their reputation for safety.

I know this sounds stereotypical but it is also my experience... almost every time traffic is being held up by someone who is driving indecisively it is a Volvo (usually a wagon).
haha, in Toronto it's always corollas holding up traffic. but stereotype aside. the XC60 is larger than the GLK so it has more trunk space and rear leg room. It also has some nice features not available on the GLK including blind spot monitoring, rear heated seats and booster seats for children. Overall its a very competitive package (likewise the Q5).

The Volvo is missing "auto headlights" (which is crazy). and the outside mirrors do not dim. Its keyless entry system is also a 2 step system like BMW which is un-neccessary.

I really like the new X3's overall package but BMW's have really cheap seat backs (they dont even have pockets in them). BMW's a bit roomier compared to GLK/Q5. In Canada the Q5 is a bargain because you can get the 2.0T comparatively equipped to a GLK with premium for $45K (the GLK will run you $49K here).

In sum, it's great to be a consumer in the market right now. theres cars to cater to those who value utility, style, or badge. The best part is, no matter what you choose, you made a great decision.