GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Replace Headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK350, Audi A4
My 2010 GLK passenger side lowbeam head light went out today. I had a quick look under the hood to see how easy it was to change the bulb. I immediately thought... this is going to cost me $100 at the dealer. This sucks cuz you cant see into the slot where you take out the bulb and theres a clip holding the bulb in place - maybe easier to see it if you take the wheel well liner out.

Thanks to you guys, i found this thread and was able to find out how to work the clip to release the bulb. I bought one of those inspection mirrors to see into the bulb area and with your instructions to pull the clip up (vs the manual saying push down) I was successful in getting the old bulb out and putting the new one in.

I sure hope the drivers side one doesnt go out as there just isnt any room to get your hands in there on that side.

Thanks forum friends for the helpful info.

Last edited by paulglk; 04-23-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
BTW, when a bulb goes out especially after a long period of time and not because of jarring or an accident it is a good idea to replace both bulbs. They change in intensity as they grow older so they are not equal. I would be a good idea to replace the other one. Even if it's just to prevent a one eye look again while driving.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by venchka
Once upon a time.........Mustangs had a honking big V-8 engine. Access to some of the spark plugs required jacking the motor up.

Wayne

Sunbeam Tigers, too!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM

GLK350
Well I own the GLK350 and my right low beam is out. Already changed the left around xmas (pain in the ***) I sure am not going to take the damn wheel off. (Husband is away) Going to buy the bulb, go get an oil change and bat my eyelashes to get them to change it
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Originally Posted by Jblue
Well I got no answers here and didn't want to run around with one headlight all weekend, so after 3+ hours screwing around with the stupid spring clip, and in spite of serious misgivings, took her in to the dealer to find out what the "secret" was.

Now I fully expected them to say "we don't install parts not bought here" and/or "we'll need to write a service order, have a seat over there...it'll only be a few hours" and/or "that'll be $100 labor and $30 for the bulb" (which i got at Wal-Mart for $9.50)......to change a freaking light bulb!!....etc. but to my shock and delight they couldn't have been more accommodating!

The service mgr. got a mechanic to come out to the car immediately and after 15-20 minutes of HIS fiddling got her done...and at NO CHARGE!! Threw him a nice tip and off I went....who'da thought??

So here's the way it works....'cause if you haven't blown a headlamp yet, you will!

A wire spring bale holds the lamp (H7 for a low beam). It's shaped roughly in a U shape. It is inverted and the top 1/2" or so sticks out the the top.

Simply pull the bale up to release the lamp, NOT down as the instruction manual cited above says....that's when all hell breaks loose as it comes out in your hand....and then you're f---ed like I was.

To replace it, insert the lamp in the socket and push down on the bale.....done!

Hope that helps when it's your turn.......like I said, the day WILL come!!

Tks... I'll keep this in mind ..
The following users liked this post:
TheRaven (08-04-2016)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:14 AM

2011 mercedes benz glk 3(0
I don' want to look like a genious but it took me 5 minutes to replace driver side low beam light on my 2011 glk 350 it was very simple step one turn cover counter click wise to remove cover from housing step two gran the two pin light plug and pull it strait out step three this is the tricky part stick your hand in the light housing and feel the clip that holds the bulb the top of the clip is sort of rectangular slightly lift the clip strait up about half an inch and leave it dont pull it out now remove the old bulb out and install the new one with the notch of the bulb facing down then with your finger slide the clip that holds the bulb straight down replace the wire harness to the bulb reinstall the cover give it a small turn clockwise and you are done if you are a little bit mechanically inclined it should not take you no more then 20 minutes good luck
Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Italian al
I don' want to look like a genious but it took me 5 minutes to replace driver side low beam light on my 2011 glk 350 it was very simple step one turn cover counter click wise to remove cover from housing step two gran the two pin light plug and pull it strait out step three this is the tricky part stick your hand in the light housing and feel the clip that holds the bulb the top of the clip is sort of rectangular slightly lift the clip strait up about half an inch and leave it dont pull it out now remove the old bulb out and install the new one with the notch of the bulb facing down then with your finger slide the clip that holds the bulb straight down replace the wire harness to the bulb reinstall the cover give it a small turn clockwise and you are done if you are a little bit mechanically inclined it should not take you no more then 20 minutes good luck
HEHEH! you must have the smallest hands & fingers! LOL! I've been a tinkering mechanic all my life!(Ferraris', you name it!) Unfortunately, I have FAT FINGERS! Pulling the wheel and plastic inner liner is the way to go, as you won't lose anything, and you get a great VISUAL! Apparently lots of people tend to pull out the clip and in their frustration... lose it! Koodos to you, but I'm betting you 'skinned' your hand!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
The first time I replaced the bulb after reading this forum, I was able to get through the job with little frustration and succeeded once in taking little time. On my recent second replacement, the clip became undone and plenty of frustration ensued.

Getting the clip up or down properly might just depend on how it was situated to begin with. I can't recall how I reinstalled the clip from my first replacement and could have easily "got er done" and called it a day, only setting my self up for this last time.

On the other hand, I'm sure the clip was high enough and out of the way, but as I inserted the bulb and imagined the sides lining up, that is when the clip became undone and I added 40 minutes to the job. Once the bulb and your hand go in the housing, the actual position of everything is really left up to the imagination.

This whole situation reminds me of a scene in Flash Gordon where Timothy Dalton plays a dangerous game of chicken / Russian roulette against Flash with some deadly creature hiding in one of many holes in a rock. Show fear or make the wrong move and you're dead.. It's the same with the headlight clip; Show fear or make the wrong move and your dead... in the water.

The wheels will be coming off next time so I can at least see in there!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by Italian al
I just did both low beam bulbs on our 2010 this weekend and found it to be very easy with the info that JBlue had posted. It took maybe 15 minutes to do both sides. The driver side was tough to get into, but was able to do so without loosening the washer reservoir.

My wife used to have an Acura which needed the front bumper and headlight housings removed in order to change its bulbs. So I guess anything is going to seem like a breeze after that.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM

2011 GLK 350
The nefarious GLK 350 low beam

Guys:

There was a video on YouTube which shows the whole thing ... with the headlight assembly removed from the vehicle. It helps with the visualization.

URL:

talks about the spring and the fact you can lift if up. Click the hotspot for the headlight bulb information, too.

So I went back to my MB (driver's side) after also reviewing the manual, and I can reach the low beam cover, but there is this screwy thing in the way connected to black cabling with a foam cover on one end that pinches the daylights out of my hand when I am trying to work on the driver's side bulb.

The manual doesn't mention this beast. oes anyone have any experience with this, and if so, what is this thing and can I move it?

The manual mentions moving the washer fluid container out of the way, but not this thing.

Any suggestions appreciated cause if I can't fix this by Monday night, I'm going to try to get the dealer to help me (and I'd rather not).

Thanks for any help, and Happy Holidays to you all.

Bj
Old 07-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
currently going through the same situation, both U clips are yhere but I could not get it to sit correct after 3 to 4 hours. I'm currently sitting in the dealership waiting to see what the damage will be, they are saying th headlights has to come out so it will be at least an hour. The tech has it on the rack and is currently taking the whe language off.

They also tried to tell me thme clips might be broken/bent but they will let me know after the tech looks at it. Hoping it won't be too bad, will post again after I get the bill.

------
All done, about 45 min and $80. Remove both wheels and fender liner and took about 5 min each side to install the clip and and bulbs. They tried to do it without putting on th rack to save me money but th clips were completely off the bracket, after wasting close to 4 hours of my life I would have gladly paid $80 in the first place.
Sadly we only have one MB dealer locally so they pretty much own the market unless you plan to drive 2 hours, I have no doubt that if competition was available they would have done it for less or complimentary as other here have said.

Last edited by AzCamel; 07-18-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Well I decided I was not going to give up even after paying the dealer to reinstall the clip, I took it off and now that I understand I can do it in five minutes and 10 minutes with removing the clip. I would suggest everyone read and understand the orientation of the clip before attempting this
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AzCamel
Well I decided I was not going to give up even after paying the dealer to reinstall the clip, I took it off and now that I understand I can do it in five minutes and 10 minutes with removing the clip. I would suggest everyone read and understand the orientation of the clip before attempting this

Totally agree! If you remove the clip, you're screwed....only lift high enough to release bulb!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
On my 2014, the headlight bulb is only held in place snugly by some metal prongs.

After removing one, I couldn't figure out why the new one wouldn't stay in place. Turns out that it's a crappy design, where removing the old bulb somehow bent the prongs outwards a bit, therefore they wouldn't hold the new bulb in place. I just pried them inwards ever so slightly, and it worked.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hugo L.
On my 2014, the headlight bulb is only held in place snugly by some metal prongs.

After removing one, I couldn't figure out why the new one wouldn't stay in place. Turns out that it's a crappy design, where removing the old bulb somehow bent the prongs outwards a bit, therefore they wouldn't hold the new bulb in place. I just pried them inwards ever so slightly, and it worked.
IMO Mercedes has the worst design on some things, one of them being the headlight bulb retention, horrible design. This is the one area where they can learn from the Japanese manufacture, sames goes for Homelink programing.