GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How to clean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
How to clean?

I have a problem with rims on my GLK, they are covered with black stuff from breaks in no time.
What is the best product to clean the dash under the wundshield?
Finally i am thinking of buying swissvax is this recommended?
http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=114
Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Warm soap & water for the wheels with a soft sponge should do the trick. After they're dry, apply a good coat of car wax to the wheels. This should help the next time they need cleaning. When it's time to replace your brake pads, go with an approved brand with less carbon in their composition.

To the clean the dash, a simple soft damp cloth is what I use, then I treat it with any aftermarket dash treatment, but be careful, some can harm your dash.

Swisswax are good products, but overpriced IMHO. Griot's make some good products as well at half the cost.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM

2011 MB GLK 350 4matic
2nd on griots garage, they make great products and autozone now carries some of their stuff. Their interior cleaner works very well.

For wax and sealant I like poorboys world also.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
Get some sonax fulleffect or ironx to get it all off and clean then apply a layer of rim sealant then you'll get less brake dust sticking and soap n water will get it off easily next time round
I like usin Swissvax autobahn as it has been holding up for atleast 2 months now and no sign of of going weaker!
Prima wheel armor I have also heard good things bout if you don't want to pay as much. Sv is also not a discountable item at phil's unless approved by sv us.
Interior i just use diluted apc like 1z blitz but cockpit does wonders.
I've recently applied sv concorso and I love it. Expensive yes, worth it? Subjective from people to people. I think they're worth it, I have 3 sv waxes, shield, concorso, and insignis v2.

Griots garage indeed make great products especially their tire cleaner.

You just starting out to be more serious bout your car and detailing?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM

2010 GLK350
Thanks for your valuable tips, and information. I have been serious about detailing my GLK, but was using proucts from local stores such as Autozone, and Walmart. I recently joind the GLK forum, now I know there are better, and more expensive products out there.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
ahh i see, well detailersdomain does have sale till april 1st so make use of it. throw phil emails if you need help, he'll reply you into the AMs
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by ollsanta
I have a problem with rims on my GLK, they are covered with black stuff from breaks in no time.
What is the best product to clean the dash under the wundshield?
Finally i am thinking of buying swissvax is this recommended?
http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=114
The link points towards Swissvax Zuffenhausen Premium Car Wax, which could be a coincidence. Given you are heading for the Swissvax, would I recommend Swissvax Mirage Premium Car Wax. This is for paintwork types like clearcoats and nano paints (and others) - which applies for your GLK.

Don't forget to prepare with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid before application of the wax.

For the wheels have I over some years used Autobahn Wheel Wax, and am quite happy with that. To be prepared with Cleaner Fluid as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
Zuffenhausen are designed for porsche paintwork, but yeah get Mirage or you can try out from Onyx (especially when we're out of winter season so there wont be salt)
Get uber yellow applicator pads, theyre nice to use =p
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM

The black Swissvax Wax Applicator Pad, sponge side (tissue side up), is to be used for application of wax.

The Cleaner Fluid Pad (white), tissue on both sides, recommended being used for the Cleaner work. Or the Puck Applicator.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
isnt the black swissvax applicator both side sponge? I never got around to opening mine up cuz I always end up using my hands (best wax applicator btw)
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by kyoshiro
isnt the black swissvax applicator both side sponge?
Nope - the side with the Swissvax logo is the sponge side, the other is tissue.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM

2010 GLK350
Thanks for you reply in time I was able to email phil, and change my order from Swissvax Zuffenhausen Premium Car Wax to Swissvax Mirage Premium Car Wax. Its was shipped today, ofcourse I am getting Swissvax Cleaner Fluid . Total damage $228.22 includind S&H.
I am hoping it works on my GLK it black.

Last edited by ollsanta; 04-02-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Wow, that's steep! Actually there's a post somewhere on traditional *wax* vs. the new *treatments* that are only now hitting the market. (These are not sealants.) Which is better for nano clear black metallic is the million dollar question.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for you reply in time I was able to email phil, and change my order from Swissvax Zuffenhausen Premium Car Wax to Swissvax Mirage Premium Car Wax. Its was shipped today, ofcourse I am getting Swissvax Cleaner Fluid . Total damage $228.22 includind S&H.
I am hoping it works on my GLK it black.
You're welcome.

The "hard" part, though very important one, is the pre-treatment with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid. Important as it cleans, removes minor scratches (needs maybe a couple of applications) and removes old wax. The latter is important not at least with regard to black/dark colours, as it prevents build up of milky haze on these. The special wax for Volvo and Saab, Swissvax Viking, actually has a formula which prevents this.

I have used Swissvax Saphire (predecessor of the Mirage) on our two former cars, another make, one Black and the other Midnight Blue (in the Arctic!), from which the dealer made pictures as desktop backgrounds on their PCs.

The application and "wipe off" of the cleaner and wax is important for a perfect finish, see the instructions and advices given in the Swissvax Handbook:
http://www.swissvaxhandbook.com/paint-work-handbook.htm
Note that if one place the car in direct sun after waxing, it hardens the wax.

Hope you will be happy when you are done.

Just a tip: In case you are living in an area where temperatures goes below zero, do I find the Swissvax Gum Feed a good product for nourishing as well preventing the door rubber seals from freezing. Note description in the handbook section V.3 Rubber Care.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM

2010 GLK350
To use Swissvax Cleaner Fluid, all plastic parts must be protected. Will masking tape work? Also most of GLK's lower body is non metal, does that apply to that plastic? Or is it fiber glass? I understand lights, and trim.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 AM

To use Swissvax Cleaner Fluid, all plastic parts must be protected. Will masking tape work? Also most of GLK's lower body is non metal, does that apply to that plastic? Or is it fiber glass? I understand lights, and trim.
This applies for plastic parts which are not painted with Nano Lacquer/Clearcoat. I suspect that "bare" plastic on the US models are the "light lenses" and the mirror supports only, so just keep away from them and you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
303 for the dash. Hands down the best product you can use on vinyl, rubber, plastic. Try it. www.303products.com

Wheels have been covered.
But yeah, once they're waxed they'll hose off pretty easily. They get dirty really fast don't they?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM

2010 GLK350
I got the 303 vinyl, rubber, and leather cleaner, I applied it and followed the directions to wipe off completely dry. You really can't tell the "after and before "difference, not like Armorall it leaves a shinny film. Are we getting our money's worth with this space age expensive product?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
I got the 303 vinyl, rubber, and leather cleaner, I applied it and followed the directions to wipe off completely dry. You really can't tell the "after and before "difference, not like Armorall it leaves a shinny film. Are we getting our money's worth with this space age expensive product?
lol yes we are, 303 is fairly matte. If you like shiny, another product would be a better choice, more gel like ones and not water based ones. Armorall are probably fairly shiny and greasy on the other hand.