FACTORY TRAILER HITCH SAFE FOR HORSES?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4MATIC
FACTORY TRAILER HITCH SAFE FOR HORSES?

Hello!

We have just decided to order a GLK350 4MATIC and we are THRILLED! However, in order to pull my horse trailer, I need a hitch. On my last SUV I had an aftermarket hitch put on. However, if anything were to happen with the chassis of this vehicle because of an after market trailer hitch, it would not be covered under warranty.

My question is: Do I go with the factory trailer hitch or do I get an after market hitch?

Is the factory trailer hitch SAFE? Does anyone have a factory hitch and use it regularly to pull precious items?

Safety is number one issue here, is the factory hitch safe? It's a lot cheaper than an after market hitch, so that was an initial red flag.

We will eventually be purchasing a dually to pull a gooseneck, but till we get that rig, the Mercedes will be doing the job!

Any personal experiences will be GREAT!

Many thanks,

Brooke
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600,GLK350,528i,G35,X3,C320,330i
GLK's OEM hitch is class II, 1 1/4" receiver, but option package comes with auxillary fan and wiring. After market hitches are class III 2" receiver. Is class II enough to tow your trailer?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Factory hitch should be better than the aftermarket one. I looked underneath to see how it's attached....damn. There is huge bar behind the bumper that the hitch is part off. So quality seems great.

It's cheap because it's put on at the factory during assembly. You would have to take half of the car apart to replicate the job.

Def. go for the factory one.

I can try taking some pics for you if you wish.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Wrong car for pulling a horse trailer. Get a chevy or a ford. Right tool for the job.

You don't have to 'take half the car apart' to put on a trailer hitch. Sheesh. In fact, you dont' have to take anything apart, just drop the exhaust system.

The factory hitch does come with a trans cooler (or larger one) and something else to do with cooling. If you're gonna tow max capacity I'd go factory.

A horse by itself weighs about 1200lbs, and a trailer is going to be at least a thousand pounds. Easy to get to the max capacity of the GLK. For two horses forget it. Get a 3/4 ton pickup.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by Overrabbit
My question is: Do I go with the factory trailer hitch or do I get an after market hitch?
With regard to GLK 350 tow capacity / weight specifications, you'll get an idea by reading the section Trailer Towing (starting an page 246) of the GLK Operator's Manual: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2010_glk.pdf.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Here's my 'aftermarket' trailer hitch install thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...g-savings.html

If you have a single horse trailer you can probably manage it. Keep in mind the GLK is a car, not a truck. If it were me I would not do it. I grew up with horses and hauling them, their feed, and their bedding. We always used a 3/4ton pickup. A Duramax is what you need...just sold mine.

Oh, and you don't need a 'dually' for towing. The duals just adds payload capacity, not towing capacity.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by CJBROWN

You don't have to 'take half the car apart' to put on a trailer hitch. Sheesh. In fact, you dont' have to take anything apart, just drop the exhaust system.
I meant to replicate the OEM one. Yea, aftermarket should be pretty easy.