GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

AC vents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
AC vents

Regardless of the setting I put the AC on very little cold air comes out of the central dash vent on the drivers side. The rest blow fine. The "ace" general manager's diagnosis is "operator error." I just got the car with all it's gimmicks so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now. Am I doing something wrong? The dealer is a significant drive away so I can't just pop in and have someone look at it. We have other issues with this same gentleman. I'll not post names, yet.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Operator Error"

is in the Franchisee's allowing such a "Cretin" to Operate his Mercedes Stealership.

No One,with any Savvy,or Hopes of Satisfied Customers EVER Applies the Insult of Operator Error to a Customer!

The Intelligent,Far Sighted,person Lucky enough to own a Mercedes Stealership: Employs Tactful,Insightful Personalities whose Assistance is so
Subtle in Enlightening the Mercedes Owner;that no Lack of Understanding by
the Mercedes Owner is EVER implied or suspected by the Mercedes Owner.

Ask to Speak to the Shop Foreman (Even if the German accent is so strong that you need an Interpreter) That Lady/Gentleman will be of almost unlimited assistance to you in your quest of a solution.

When y'all get this "Sorted Out",drop the people in the Netherlands who run Mercedes International Customer Service a short note on your experiences.

There is also a Lady or Gentleman that North American Mercedes Benz PAYS to be an interface between the Franchisees and the Company: "Mercedes Area Representative".
[A "Wrangler" to "Ride Herd" on the Franchisees.]
Call 1-(800) 222-0100,and when you FINALLY get Customer Service on the Line, Demand a "Face to Face"
meeting with Your Area representative.

If I'd PAID Mercedes what they want for the GLK,and some Clown asserted that a defect was of my doing,
Her/His Proctologist would have the challenge of removing the GLK from Her/His Nether Regions.

Last edited by compress ignite; 07-02-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by 420tee
Regardless of the setting I put the AC on very little cold air comes out of the central dash vent on the drivers side. The rest blow fine. The "ace" general manager's diagnosis is "operator error." I just got the car with all it's gimmicks so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now. Am I doing something wrong? The dealer is a significant drive away so I can't just pop in and have someone look at it. We have other issues with this same gentleman. I'll not post names, yet.
I think right now the more important question is did you call or show up at the dealership and did they tell you what your "operator error" was. Can't be an error if you don't know what is/was wrong. Stupid question, the air flow control thumb wheel on the right side of the vent (drivers side) when moved up or down does it make a difference in the air flow. If it doesn't the control may be broken. Do you hear swishing noise coming from that area of the dash. There is a remote possibility that the duct is disconnected. Please let us know the outcome.

BTW well spoken Compress.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 PM

The dealer is a two hour ride in a direction I have no other reason to go, so no I didn't drop in. The "operator error" comment was made to my wife on the phone as I doubt he would say that to me. At least not twice. No, there was no offer or suggestion as to what I may be doing wrong. I'm a retired service engineer so I can probably figure out air vents but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that there may be something quirky about the MB controls I don't know. We are still waiting for a call back regarding another issue from the general manager. I won't hold my breath. I initially E-mailed the salesman about this and other issues and got no response. On a different note, I told three people there at least 4 times the car had to be registered in a county other than my mailing address and when the plate arrived it was wrong. I spent a few hours going to two DMVs to get that corrected. A young lady at the dealership said she would handle it but I told her I didn't think that dealership could do anything right so I'll do it myself.
As to the air vent I'll wait until I have to go back for something else, as I'm sure I will.
MKenM Thanks for the ideas. I haven't had a chance to check them yet but I will. My first thought is a flap that's not opening.

Last edited by 420tee; 07-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Gave it some thought and pushed a small rod into the offending vent and guess what. There was a flapper valve in there that was stuck closed. AOK now. Wonder if that jerk would call that "operator cure" ?
p.s. Never heard from the general manager on the other issue either. Did I buy a Mercedes or a used Yugo?

Last edited by 420tee; 07-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Well good thing you figured it out yourself. If you went to the dealer the dealer might say..oww we figure out that you need new vents and it is back ordered for 2 months LOL!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Well good thing you figured it out yourself. If you went to the dealer the dealer might say..oww we figure out that you need new vents and it is back ordered for 2 months LOL!
Right, after leaving the car there for three days.