GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by EmiG310
Hello,

My 2010 GLK350 has 42k Miles on it and I've started noticing a "snapping" noise from the rear cargo area over bumps. It's almost like the cargo cover is moving and the plastic makes a noise when the body flexes, but I have removed the cargo cover completely and the noise is still around. I have tried pressing on all the interior panels in the cargo area to see if some of the fittings are lose but it hasn't really solved the problem. This only happens over bumps, on a smooth road there is absolutely no noise.

Anyone else experiencing this noise over bumps from the cargo area interior trim?
YES! There is a TSB on this. There were some early models that over time developed too much flex in the rear. There is a fix. Contact your dealer at once and ask them to look it up!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by MBRedux
YES! There is a TSB on this. There were some early models that over time developed too much flex in the rear. There is a fix. Contact your dealer at once and ask them to look it up!

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info, I will look into taking it in.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by EmiG310
Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info, I will look into taking it in.
Never mind... it's the G, not GLK! Sorry!

However, this is the one I think may help you! This could also cause the noise you hear!
__________________________________________________ ____
MERCEDES BENZ GLK: REAR WHEEL WELL

MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 Safety Report #SB-2011030001
MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 technical service bulletin was issued Mar 01, 2011.MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 / Failed Wheel Well Weld . MERCEDES-BENZ: THE SEAM SEAL IN THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL ARCH IS NOT UP TO SPECIFICATIONS. INSPECT AND REPAIR AS NEEDED. 2011 204.9. *RM .
__________________________________________________ ______

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM

GLK350
2011 with 27k miles

1. Lot of interior noise/squeaks. I pinpointed it to be coming from the driver and passage side windows. Dealer said it was a common problem but mine was louder then usual. Said it was plastic on plastic noise. They added felt (warranty), which quieted the noise some, but it's still louder then the loaner they let me drive, which had practically no noise. Disappointed in this...expected a quieter ride from MB.

2. Cup holder inserts bad. Replaced entire cup holder section (warranty)

3. Front cigarette lighter not working. I thought it was a fuse, but they had to replace the entire cigarette lighter (warranty).

4. Bad odor coming from A/C at start up. Said there was mold in A/C. Originally they said this was not covered by warranty and would cost $179. I argued and the local dealer covered it under warranty.

I love the car, but am not happy with the cabin noise. I plan to have them look at it again during my next scheduled maintenance.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Usc90grad
2011 with 27k miles

1. Lot of interior noise/squeaks. I pinpointed it to be coming from the driver and passage side windows. Dealer said it was a common problem but mine was louder then usual. Said it was plastic on plastic noise. They added felt (warranty), which quieted the noise some, but it's still louder then the loaner they let me drive, which had practically no noise. Disappointed in this...expected a quieter ride from MB.

2. Cup holder inserts bad. Replaced entire cup holder section (warranty)

3. Front cigarette lighter not working. I thought it was a fuse, but they had to replace the entire cigarette lighter (warranty).

4. Bad odor coming from A/C at start up. Said there was mold in A/C. Originally they said this was not covered by warranty and would cost $179. I argued and the local dealer covered it under warranty.

I love the car, but am not happy with the cabin noise. I plan to have them look at it again during my next scheduled maintenance.
Thanks for the input! There has been much talk about the interior noise with some owners, like me! Our GLK has the noise under the front dash speaker, behind the Navi screen. Very hard to fix. The HVAC stench is also another common complaint. I do not believe it's the AC condensation as much as it's rain water. Ours get worse when you drive through heavy rain. Sunny days with AC on full blast doesn't seem to cause ours to act up. What did they do? You know?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM

GLK350
Thanks for the input! There has been much talk about the interior noise with some owners, like me! Our GLK has the noise under the front dash speaker, behind the Navi screen. Very hard to fix. The HVAC stench is also another common complaint. I do not believe it's the AC condensation as much as it's rain water. Ours get worse when you drive through heavy rain. Sunny days with AC on full blast doesn't seem to cause ours to act up. What did they do? You know?
They said the evaporator was dirty and had mildew. So they performed an "evaporator refresh cleaning" and changed the cabin air filter. The smell is gone. Like I said, they wanted to charge me $179 for this and said it wasn't covered by warranty. I disagreed and after some back and forth , they agreed to warranty it.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
ewc

BMW 330cic
MBRedux, what was the ultimate diagnosis of your tranny failure? Our 2012 has had an off-throttle whine since new. You hear it most when cruising at 40 mph with little to no throttle. High pitched whine, very annoying once it gets into your head. Also very annoying when you are just trying to cruise within the local speed limit.

Car has only 7k miles and is at the dealer now for diagnosis. I sat with the dealer tech and he confirmed the noise, and is checking into it.

Our tranny also occasionally bangs hard on a 3-2 downshift when coasting to a stop up-hill. This is probably a programming issue requiring a re-flash.

I will NOT be happy if it needs a new tranny. Our last 2005.5 Audi A4 also needed a new tranny right away due to poor downshifting (also banging from 3-2 downshift), which was never resolved even after a new tranny and multiple computer flashes.

Ours also has the crappy creaking front door grab handles. Which I am not having the dealer resolve because I don't want them taking apart the doors and messing things up further.

I enjoy the car otherwise, but I was expecting more from MB.

^^^^ Not too bad considering NYC roads! (I'm from NYC)

2010 GLK350 4-Matic Loaded
Needed new rear right side marker
Rear LCA bushing
New transmission on order. Tranny developed the whine sound of death. (Transfer-Case Failure) Very upset.

Besides this, MB would better serve it buyers if they improve the handling characteristics of this car IMO

Some Concerns I wish they would address:
1) Steering Feedback is too numb!
2) Turn in needs improvement
3) Larger wheels and offset models requires new steering geometrics to improve self-centering characteristics.
4) Overall suspension is way too soft. Front end plows even with the slightest throttling!
Maybe have variable suspension as a option.
5) Make interior more contemporary, less wood!
6) Raise the freaking Climate Controls for better access, or place them on a new touch screen master controller.
7) Enlarge the outside RV mirrors slightly.
8) Larger brakes/calipers needed.
9) Place pad sensors on all inner pads rather than one side only.
10) Improve rear design to better accept a hitch. HomeRun and pre-wire all the necessary electrical to a rear receptacle for instant hitch hook-up!

Last edited by ewc; 07-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Twilight Zone!

Originally Posted by ewc
MBRedux, what was the ultimate diagnosis of your tranny failure? Our 2012 has had an off-throttle whine since new. You hear it most when cruising at 40 mph with little to no throttle. High pitched whine, very annoying once it gets into your head. Also very annoying when you are just trying to cruise within the local speed limit. (THIS IS HOW OURS STARTED OUT AS WELL.)

Car has only 7k miles and is at the dealer now for diagnosis. I sat with the dealer tech and he confirmed the noise, and is checking into it. (PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED ON THIS IF YOU DON'T MIND. PM ME...thanks.)

Our tranny also occasionally bangs hard on a 3-2 downshift when coasting to a stop up-hill. This is probably a programming issue requiring a re-flash.

I will NOT be happy if it needs a new tranny. Our last 2005.5 Audi A4 also needed a new tranny right away due to poor downshifting (also banging from 3-2 downshift), which was never resolved even after a new tranny and multiple computer flashes. (CVT, DCT or DSG?)

Ours also has the crappy creaking front door grab handles. Which I am not having the dealer resolve because I don't want them taking apart the doors and messing things up further. (WE DIDN'T EITHER. IT WENT AWAY AFTER IT WORE-IN.)

I enjoy the car otherwise, but I was expecting more from MB.
You will not believe this. New tranny has been installed. Took 1.5 weeks. BUT THE SAME WHINE NOISE IS STILL THERE at the same 40mph low throttle cruise! Very embarrassing for them. Benz is sending their regional tech rep down to "evaluate" the issue. Still,not very reassuring. Not happy.... keep in touch... let's exchange notes on this.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
ewc

BMW 330cic
Wonderful. Dealer just called and said they are ordering a new tranny for us. Service rep said that it is a defective "output shaft." He claims there is a new part developed and the new tranny will have it. This is a fresh tranny, not rebuilt, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

How common is this issue? I'm guessing that a lot of MB owners wouldn't even notice this.

This is why I only drive manuals (GLK is the wife's).

You will not believe this. New tranny has been installed. Took 1.5 weeks. BUT THE SAME WHINE NOISE IS STILL THERE at the same 40mph low throttle cruise! Very embarrassing for them. Benz is sending their regional tech rep down to "evaluate" the issue. Still,not very reassuring. Not happy.... keep in touch... let's exchange notes on this.

Last edited by ewc; 07-02-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Never mind... it's the G, not GLK! Sorry!

However, this is the one I think may help you! This could also cause the noise you hear!
__________________________________________________ ____
MERCEDES BENZ GLK: REAR WHEEL WELL

MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 Safety Report #SB-2011030001
MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 technical service bulletin was issued Mar 01, 2011.MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 / Failed Wheel Well Weld . MERCEDES-BENZ: THE SEAM SEAL IN THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL ARCH IS NOT UP TO SPECIFICATIONS. INSPECT AND REPAIR AS NEEDED. 2011 204.9. *RM .
__________________________________________________ ______
Has anyone had this inspected? Curious since I've never had it mentioned to me before. Guess I'll ask next time I'm in for service.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM

GLK 350
I own a 2010 GLK350 and not to sound like a downer but it's the first and last Mercedes I'll own. I've had nothing but problems with it and I'm trying to be patient as is my nature but it's wearing thin. My dealership in Winnipeg has been great but literally so tired of having the same issues time and time again
1) Hyper extending mirrors (plural) I'm taking my car is for the 5th or 6th time now (tomorrow) provided they can fly the part in from Toronto. These have been both replaced once or twice over and if I wash my car or take it through a car was (which I do sparringly) something happens where teh mirrors stop working. They'll either Fold in and stay folded in or Hyper extend pointing to the front of the car-both driver and passenger side
2) Leaking A pillars. This has finally been resolved. Turns out in assembly of my vehicle with the panormaic roof a rubber seal was missed so any water running of the roof would overwhelm the the guides that would wisk water away and down the vehicle and water ended up coming into the vehicle through both A pillsars.

I'm in my early 30s and don't have time to be running the car down to the dealership every other day. I quite honestly never had any issues with my Q5 that I sold and purchased this one. I love, love, love the looks but I honestly can't deal with this constant back and forth. It's got 47000 kms on is and as I inch closer to the 80km max warranty I refuse to keep it.

I'll likely trade it in for a Porsche Cayenne or go back to the Q5. I'm quite honestly happy that no others are experiencing the problems I have but I can't support a car manufacturuer that has this poor quality.

I feel that although the dealership is doing their best, it's not taken terribly seriously. Water leaking into your car? We'll fix it....yes, but there is WATER leaking into my car? Your mirrors aren't folding out or hyper extending and it's happened many times after replacing parts? We'll just have to replace it again. Yes but how can I drive the vehicle while I wait to come in??

It's just silly, like I mentioned, I'm far too busy for this. I'm not unreasonable a few trips here and there are fine but I've just literally decided that I"ll put up with it for as long as I have and then get rid of it. Audi's earned my business...Mercedes has not. I've got many, many decades of purhcases left. It's too bad.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 AM

2010 GLK350
I'm very concerned. 2010 GLK350 needs transmission replaced at 30K. I've seen 3 posts with the same issue. Are there any TSB's addressing this issue?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I am too a little bit concerned due to recent numbers of transmission failure rate, especially with 2010 models. My warranty is almost out too.
I hope this is not a widespread problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010-2011 owners, BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES.

They are sending yet another new tranny. That's #3! If this one is also faulty, MB will be buying our's back.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
ewc

BMW 330cic
Good luck, our dealer said that there are no new trannys to be had, currently. 3-4 month wait to manufacture a new one. GLK is safe to drive, so they gave it back to us in the meantime.

2010-2011 owners, BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES.

They are sending yet another new tranny. That's #3! If this one is also faulty, MB will be buying our's back.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ewc
Good luck, our dealer said that there are no new trannys to be had, currently. 3-4 month wait to manufacture a new one. GLK is safe to drive, so they gave it back to us in the meantime.
Same here, 3-4 months, which by the way, qualifies it as a "Lemon" all by itself. (Our car is at the dealer waiting) Most states will tag a vehicle as a "Lemon" if it's either in the shop more than 30 days for the same repair, or after three failed attempts to repair the same problem. But we're being reasonable with MB and our dealer. If they fail to successfully repair the GLK after this third new tranny, which will finally arrive late next month, they will BUY IT BACK, in full, no questions asked.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350
I'm curious....are the transmission issues reported here a mix of both 4matic and 2wd models or is it a problem seemingly isolated to one model? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 PM

00 Boxster 11 GLK350 04 C230 96 TrooperLS
Thumbs up Yup pretty bad design...

Originally Posted by DocPain
the interior driver and passenger side handle...squeak and creak upon grasping closing the doors. Seems like nothing held together at the center of the bar.
I got just one word: why? What do you expect when you designed 2 long and thin pieces of plastic that snap together to make a rod that you pull on...ridiculous!
Don't get me wrong having owned a 87 300E for 20 years (great cheap to own bank vault rock solid daily driver) and a so so 190E for 15 years. Now have a 04 C230K last 8 years that's really noisy in cold start, not too happy with it but dear God it drives great. It's love and hate, MB has that dignified quality hustling down the road at 60 or 120mph it feels the same solid quiet luxury but man, it's a pain when something amiss. Btw, my brother and I did in one morning 3 rear brake pad replacements on an 96 Trooper, a 02 Element and the C class was voted easiest cleanest best engineered out of the 3, done using only a flat head screwdriver!!!
My 11 GLK so far so good at 11km except for that tiny creaky sound near the door frame ugrrrr! I swear it is not my rattling golf club bag!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
wow just checked back into this thread.

my tranny also had the whine noise.. that prompted me to take it to the dealer. tranny was replaced at about 40k kms.

glk is a 4matic.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeteSC
I'm curious....are the transmission issues reported here a mix of both 4matic and 2wd models or is it a problem seemingly isolated to one model? Thanks.
4-Matics ONLY!

Originally Posted by BoxsterT
My 11 GLK so far so good at 11km except for that tiny creaky sound near the door frame ugrrrr! I swear it is not my rattling golf club bag!
Consider yourself a very lucky man.

Last edited by MBRedux; 07-25-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fung63
wow just checked back into this thread.

my tranny also had the whine noise.. that prompted me to take it to the dealer. tranny was replaced at about 40k kms.

glk is a 4matic.
How long did you notice the noise before having it inspected, and did it get louder over that time?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 AM

GLK350
4-Matics ONLY!
Whew....thanks. I feel bad for the 4Matic owners if this continues to be a widespread problem. I've worried at times that my non-4Matic transmission seems so to take a second or two to engage when selecting a gear (like from park to reverse or reverse to drive) but I'm guessing that's pretty normal. I'm 39 years old and this GLK is the first automatic transmission car I've owned in 24 years of car ownership so all this new-fangled automatic transmission technology is all new to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
How long did you notice the noise before having it inspected, and did it get louder over that time?
about a week? it wasn't too loud but you can definitely hear it. Just bugged me enough to take it in. tbh it suprised me that the whole tranny had to be replaced.

however the upside is that I wont need to do the MB required 60k kms tranny flush by the time I log another 60k kms on it, it'll be time to trade it in!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM

GLK350
I took my 14,500 mile 2010 GLK in for service B last week. I also complained of the gym-sock smell from the a/c when the car is first started and the a/c kicks on. Service adviser told me MB no longer warranties a complete cleaning of the system, but they did recommend using Frigi-fresh in the blower box to alleviate the smell. They also replaced the cabin filter and activated the "run-dry" feature on the car which runs the fan for 30 minutes to dry the condenser after the car is shut off and the doors are locked. Smells as good as new so far, but it's only been a week. I'll report back if it doesn't work, and I'll also be returning to the dealer for a fix on their dime one way or the other if that smell re-appears.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Originally Posted by PeteSC
I took my 14,500 mile 2010 GLK in for service B last week.
Surprised you need a Service B already @ 14.5K miles?
Would have expected SB @ 20K unless one really tramples on the pedal!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread