Heads Up: Trailer Hitch for GLK 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool Heads Up: Trailer Hitch for GLK 350

What you get. What you don't get. When ordering the factory installed trailer hitch.

About 15 minutes into our initial converstion about the GLK 350, I mentioned to the salesman that we would require a trailer hitch. He correctly advised us to buy the factory installed hitch as opposed to having the same hitch installed by the dealer for cost reasons. We proceeded to place an order making sure to list everything that we wanted.

11 weeks later we take delivery of our new GLK 350. I made sure to check the rear bumper area for the required hitch. There it was. Almost. The following things were missing: plastic cover, tow ball, tow ball retaining pin, electrical 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. In other words, a non-functioning hitch.

After a bit of frustration, some lucky shopping on my part, an agreement for reimbursement from the sales manager and a parts order, we have a functioning trailer hitch.

I also called MBUSA this morning to verify what is or is not included in the GLK 350 hitch package. According to MBUSA Customer Service, the fixed hitch (Class II, 1 1/4" sq.), plastic cover for the receiver opening and the wiring connection on the vehicle are the only parts included. The tow ball, tow ball pin & lighting adapter are for the customer's account. You won't find this written or explained anyplace that I looked. I am thankful that Classic Mercedes-Benz in Tyler, TX made everything right.

Wayne