Newbie question on glk350 - window noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Newbie question on glk350 - window noise

just got my car today, happy but two questions

1. on my way home, when going over 50mph, I can clearly hear whistling wind noise, does anyone else experience such noise? It's still quite inside the car, but whistling is clear and I am pretty sure it is from outside, although someone mentioned it could be related to AC vent. Shall I bring this to dealer or it's just the bulky exterior design making such high pitch noise?

2. Is the "ding and dent + leather" protection plan a good choice for $800 (5yr)?
dealer claim that they will remove all ding/dent < 4 in for 5 years (if you buy this plan they will put another layer of coat on ur car or sth like that). I really don't like parking lot dent so I am very interested in it.

Any comments appreciated !
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Dents are usually $125 to remove per panel at my dealer. 800/125 is 6.4 dents. I personally don't get that many dents in five years so I'd pass on the offer, but your mileage may vary depending on your parking habits/ luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLK350
If you don't like parking lot dents then park away from everybody else and enjoy a nice walk to wherever you are going. Paint "protection" is just a gimmick. Walk away from that. You should be more interested in a pre-paid service plan. This is a cost saving.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM

none
Thanks! Did you happen to notice whistling wind noise or car is absolutely quite while running over 60mph on freeway?

Originally Posted by GeeElleKay
If you don't like parking lot dents then park away from everybody else and enjoy a nice walk to wherever you are going. Paint "protection" is just a gimmick. Walk away from that. You should be more interested in a pre-paid service plan. This is a cost saving.

Last edited by mlgbwk; 05-08-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

none
sure. the crowded parking lot in n.cali could be crazy..

that's why I am also considering running board...

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Dents are usually $125 to remove per panel at my dealer. 800/125 is 6.4 dents. I personally don't get that many dents in five years so I'd pass on the offer, but your mileage may vary depending on your parking habits/ luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by mlgbwk
Thanks! Did you happen to notice whistling wind noise or car is absolutely quite while running over 60mph on freeway?
Are your windows ALL the way up and closed tight?
Do you have a sunroof? Is it closed tight?
If yes to both, you may have the dreaded whistling air intake box for the A/C system. Take it back FAST!

Wayne
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM

none
Thanks wayne, windows all the way up and no sunroof.

Could you elaborate more on the whistling air intake box for the A/C? How can I confirm it? turn off the AC and the whistling shall be gone?

Originally Posted by venchka
Are your windows ALL the way up and closed tight?
Do you have a sunroof? Is it closed tight?
If yes to both, you may have the dreaded whistling air intake box for the A/C system. Take it back FAST!

Wayne

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EDIT TO CORRECT MY C.T.F.S....

There is a long thread in this forum with multiple folks having the problem. Regardless of the cause, your GLK ain't right. It should be "put you to sleep" quiet. Take it back. The dealer didn't do a very good job of final inspection. In today's world, we are the final inspectors.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 05-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

none
Thanks Wayne!

there is a long thread in this forum with multiple folks having the problem. Regarless of the cause, your GLK ain't right. It should be put you to sleep quiet. Take it back. The dealer didn't do a very good job of final inspection. In today's world, we are the final inspectors.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

none
Update on whistling noise

I bring the car to dealer today and tech takes a test drive with me, the whistling noise if not from outside, it is from the AC vent whenever I turn on the "inside air" switch or whatever it calls (so no air will come from outside).

The tech acknowledge the noise but he said he never seen the issue on other GLK. I printed and bring the "heater box seal" report from MBUSA found in another thread and they said they will try fix it.

My question is, I only have my car for 2 days and now it is back in dealership, shall I complain to MBUSA even if my dealer tech can fix it?

For my last new car, I had a minor issue with brake and manufacturer (Honda) offered free maintenance for 1 year.. I am not sure if MB would do that. TBO I'm a bit frustrated at this moment.

Thanks

EDIT TO CORRECT MY C.T.F.S....

There is a long thread in this forum with multiple folks having the problem. Regardless of the cause, your GLK ain't right. It should be "put you to sleep" quiet. Take it back. The dealer didn't do a very good job of final inspection. In today's world, we are the final inspectors.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Relax. If your dealer will bother to investigate, they will find that MBUSA has addressed the situation several times before. You are not the first. Maybe the first at that dealer. In any case, there is a fix from MB. It will be ok. This is minor.
The first car I ever bought new, also a European car, stopped dead on the second or third day after purchase about a mile from the start of a 26 mile long bridge. I had no choice but to let a State Trooper push my wife and I to the other end of the bridge and into a shopping center mall parking lot across the street from the dealer where we bought the car. We walked over and told them what happened. They gave us the keys to our old VW that we had traded just a few days earlier. In a day or two the car was fixed and we never had another problem with that car.
Relax.

Wayne

ps: You're welcome for the correct diagnosis.

Last edited by venchka; 05-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM

none
Thanks Wayne! Especially for the hint on AC vent thread.

Maybe I am just too sensitive on this new car, hope they can fix it without introducing any additional dash noise..

Relax. If your dealer will bother to investigate, they will find that MBUSA has addressed the situation several times before. You are not the first. Maybe the first at that dealer. In any case, there is a fix from MB. It will be ok. This is minor.
The first car I ever bought new, also a European car, stopped dead about a mile from the start of a 26 mile long bridge. I had no choice but yo let a State Trooper push my wife and I to the other end of the bridge and into a shopping center mall parking lot across the street from the dealer where we bought the car. We walked over and told them what happened. They gave us the keys to our old VW that we had traded just a few days earlier. In a day or two the car was fixed and we never had another problem with that car.
Relax.

Wayne

ps: You're welcome for the correct diagnosis.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I bring the car to dealer today and tech takes a test drive with me, the whistling noise if not from outside, it is from the AC vent whenever I turn on the "inside air" switch or whatever it calls (so no air will come from outside).

The tech acknowledge the noise but he said he never seen the issue on other GLK. I printed and bring the "heater box seal" report from MBUSA found in another thread and they said they will try fix it.

My question is, I only have my car for 2 days and now it is back in dealership, shall I complain to MBUSA even if my dealer tech can fix it?

For my last new car, I had a minor issue with brake and manufacturer (Honda) offered free maintenance for 1 year.. I am not sure if MB would do that. TBO I'm a bit frustrated at this moment.

Thanks
man, i am surprised this whistling noise is still going on. I remember being one of the ones that first reported it and got to the bottom of what the issue was. I'm glad that my copy of what the tech wrote describing the issue has been helpful to all.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM

none
hi gsrjc, your post was very helpful, my deal is still working on it and I am not sure if that was the same problem.

one Q: is your whistling noise completely gone after they replaced the heater box (or seal around it)? Did they introduce any new dash rattle (since the whole dashboard needs to be removed to get to heater box I guess) and that really concerned me although they are experienced MB technicians.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by gsrjc
man, i am surprised this whistling noise is still going on. I remember being one of the ones that first reported it and got to the bottom of what the issue was. I'm glad that my copy of what the tech wrote describing the issue has been helpful to all.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hi gsrjc, your post was very helpful, my deal is still working on it and I am not sure if that was the same problem.

one Q: is your whistling noise completely gone after they replaced the heater box (or seal around it)? Did they introduce any new dash rattle (since the whole dashboard needs to be removed to get to heater box I guess) and that really concerned me although they are experienced MB technicians.

Thanks.
completely gone and no new dash rattles.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 AM

none
UPDATE:

Dealer took off whole dashboard and did extensive diagnosis, it is the seal around the heater box, they fixed it and now whistling noise is completely gone.

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by gsrjc
completely gone and no new dash rattles.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

Dealer took off whole dashboard and did extensive diagnosis, it is the seal around the heater box, they fixed it and now whistling noise is completely gone.

Thanks everyone.
glad you got it fixed.