GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Undercoating ( rust prevention ) thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Question Undercoating ( rust prevention ) thoughts

Hello,, I bought a GLK350 (2010) a few weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone gets their vehicles oil sprayed in the fall for rust prevention over the winter. It's a pretty think oily thing they spray on ,, doesn't really drip after it's done. I normally used to do it to my Jeep, but it makes such a mess, especially in the engine bay area. But here in Quebec they are so liberal with the salt in the winter we have to do something for protection. I was also wondering if it would affect anything electrical in the door panels. Your thoughts
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
We as well have a lot (tons) of salt on our roads in the winter, thru 5 months+. At the purchase of the GLK, on our request, we at the dealership were told by the salesman that the GLK didn't have to get any additional rust protection package or undercoating. There is a 30 year anti-corrosion warranty covering corrosion which has perforated metal from inside a cavity outwards, valid of course when service intervals as required have been followed.

From the “Introduction into Service Manual for Model Series 204”:

Bodywork/Corrosion protection:

“Long-term protection against corrosion is guaranteed by full galvanization of the steel body components. Structural areas that are particularly susceptible to corrosion are protected by additional cavity preserva­tion.
To supplement this, the following protective measures are used in addition to regular galvanizing in the manu­facture of the sheet steel:
•Use of organically coated sheet steel
•Cataphoretic immersion primer bath
•Seam sealing”

Underfloor protection:
“Because the underfloor area is entirely covered with DLFT (Direct Long Fiber reinforced Thermoplastic), PVC underfloor protection has been omitted.
The advantages are:
•Lower aerodynamic drag
•Replaceable if damaged(easy to repair)
•Detachability for vehicle recycling
•Increased impact resistance (stone chipping protection)”

So we didn’t go for an additional treatment, but will in a year or two, when ordering a service, have a discussion with the dealership with regard to the subject. This in light of the well known rust problems of MBs late '90s and into the years following 2000s – and which came to my knowledge two weeks ago – are seen for some 2009 models as well!

Some (biased?) thoughts with regard to rust prevention to be read in two articles, and an “Acid Rain & Corrosion Map” on a WEB-page of Superior Rust Proofing, Toronto:

http://www.apa.ca/services_rustproofing.asp

http://www.moneysense.ca/2011/01/11/...orth-the-cost/

http://www.superiorrustproofing.ca/packages.html

Using oil products will not affect anything electrical in the door panels, or other electric cicuitry for that matter. Although not a good example; Highly refined, but different, oils are used in very high tension (hundreds of kilovolts) transformers for arc protection.

Last edited by GLKKa2H; 07-07-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
^This!!!!!

Do not use so-called "rubberized black undercoating" on your car. It's proven that it promotes rust. The oily stuff you're referring to is probably more like a dripless wax used on VW/Audi/Porsche from the factory. This is okay, but only if applied correctly. MB does not recommend the use of these undercoatings. They are toxic to certain components, but mostly because these coatings act like a sticky surface glue where rock-salt and other sand and debris can adhere too causing rusting issues. This debris can accumulate and when it gets wet, act like a permanent sponge... causing rust-through over time.

Best way to keep your car rust free over the winter months (we ski all over the US/Canada and the World) is to wash down the undercarriage every other week or so. Some places actually have these spray-down bays where you can wash off the underbelly salt. A good thorough wash will remove all traces of salt. Then in the spring, spray down the joints and underpinnings with either pure silicone spray or WD40 and wipe clean.

Last edited by MBRedux; 07-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Great information, thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 (2010)
Rust Protection

Every car owner dreads rust eating away at the precious metal of their vehicle. Rust can appear on any unprotected part of your car, including, but not limited to, the hinges, engine, trunk, and window frames. Rust happens when a combination of air and water is allowed to sit on your vehicle for prolonged periods of time. Prevention of such an occurrence would mean removing air and water.
Process of Rust Proofing
  • A thorough cleaning away of dirt and debris.
  • Spraying a sealant to keep harmful chemicals off.
  • Let dry; once it’s finished, the product prevents rust from forming.
When you have the proper moisture barrier materials, you can extend the lifespan of valuable equipment. It’s important to be pre-emptive when it comes to corrosion prevention or else you could wind up spending a lot more than you’d like. You can see how products like moisture barrier bags and vapor corrosion inhibitors protects airplanes and military equipment: http://www.protectivepackaging.net/military-packaging
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

SpeedRiven SL600, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by Jlazer
Hello,, I bought a GLK350 (2010) a few weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone gets their vehicles oil sprayed in the fall for rust prevention over the winter. It's a pretty think oily thing they spray on ,, doesn't really drip after it's done. I normally used to do it to my Jeep, but it makes such a mess, especially in the engine bay area. But here in Quebec they are so liberal with the salt in the winter we have to do something for protection. I was also wondering if it would affect anything electrical in the door panels. Your thoughts
It will not hurt to spray the car with dripless wax (e.g. we use Wurth), especially doors, hood and trunk. On MB vehicles it is not required as they do already come protected from factory, but I do see 1-2 customers per year doing rust protection on MB.

Igor.